All-Star Kudos/brag Post!! Add Yours Too!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mental blocks are the WORST!!! My cp went through one too. It lasted on and off for about a year and a half. Its a very difficult thing to watch as a parent because we know what our kids are capable of. After awhile I found the only thing that works is time, patience, and her just being in the gym as much as possible. I tried to keep the pressure off and always remind her of all of the other aspects of the sport that she was great at not just tumbling. One day it just clicked for her and she is now during better then ever!! Im very proud of her! Congrats to your cp too
biggrin.png

Ok, I'm 28 and have never really tumbled in my life. Yesterday I did a backtuck with spot for the first time ever. I was so scared but I really really want to get a standing tuck and so I did (even though my spot said, he was scared to spot me :eek:)!!
It wasn't pretty but I got around and I just felt soo whohoooo! ;)

Yall have every right to brag - love this!
My cp is a dynamo - went from never having cheered, rec or otherwise, to blowing away most of the other flyers in the gym. Her bases at the beginning of the season weren't the best for her, and after falling in the first 4 comps, the coaches finally switched things up. She's been hitting the most gorgeous stunts for these last few comps and I couldn't be more proud! She stuck it out, had a few tearful moments because she didn't want to seem like she was blaming others, and didn't say anything. She let it all play out and even though her stunt group is the farthest in the back, she hits one gorgeous scale consistently :D
And I'm proud of ME for making it through a million practices watching my cp get yelled at and never giving my child the idea that her coaches didn't know exactly what they were doing...Yay us!

Yes, I showed her old videos. I've tried everything from bribery (a puppy!), ignoring the topic, private lessons, a meditation CD specifically about back tumbling blocks, to begging, to being angry, to just giving up. I've even taken her to a different gym to see if a change of scenery/coaching helped. She doesn't want to, she's terrified and there's nothing I can do.

As a coach, it's so frustrating and as a mom, it's dissapointing. It's not that she can't, she won't. (I blame her old tumbling instructor, he scared her one day and literally quit tumbling the following week)

Coaches can make it or break it for the athletes. The caring and patient coaches are the ones who bring the kids along, and the kids know that they are not in "trouble" for having a block in their minds. You can't force it, and you said it yourself - the old coach scared her and the following week she stopped. Most coaches are great, but the ones who are awful are truly awful, in my opinion. Have you considered speaking with another gym, with that gym focusing on giving her a brand new and nurturing experience? They could work with her without telling her that they know what she used to throw. It could be her chance to start over without feeling bad about the past. Just a thought, and I am sorry that your daughter had a bad experience. It is okay for a child to have a natural sense of fear when throwing a skill; but, it is never acceptable when a child gets scared because of a coach who is supposed to have a positive influence.

This past weekend Epic Cheer Cobalt our gyms Sr. Level 2 team took home first place beating Top Gun Miami and Brandon...as a member of the Epic family, I have never been so proud of a team at our gym! These girls have worked so hard all year and they deserve it...I know one girl has always wanted to win a medal...not one by default but beating people out and after 2 years at a different program she came to Epic and has finally acheived her goal! it makes me wanna tear up! Im soooooo happy for them!!! I just love them!!! :D

Coaches can make it or break it for the athletes. The caring and patient coaches are the ones who bring the kids along, and the kids know that they are not in "trouble" for having a block in their minds. You can't force it, and you said it yourself - the old coach scared her and the following week she stopped. Most coaches are great, but the ones who are awful are truly awful, in my opinion. Have you considered speaking with another gym, with that gym focusing on giving her a brand new and nurturing experience? They could work with her without telling her that they know what she used to throw. It could be her chance to start over without feeling bad about the past. Just a thought, and I am sorry that your daughter had a bad experience. It is okay for a child to have a natural sense of fear when throwing a skill; but, it is never acceptable when a child gets scared because of a coach who is supposed to have a positive influence.

It's interesting that you brought this up. We share a facility with a tumbling facility (not full gymnastics) and one of the coaches that has been doing privates in there was talking to me last week about my daughter. I told him the story and he turned to my daughter and said "I'm very sorry you had a bad experience. I hope one day you will let me help you" and left it at that.

Last night, he saw her, grabbed her and said , "How many bhs do you have in you? 5? Good! Let's go!!" She didn't resist, she didn't argue, she didn't say no, she did them. All were spotted, but to see her not hesitate was HUGE progress. It was amazing and hopefully it will continue from here!

Skills Phoebe has acquired in the last 2 weeks since meeting our new coach...
Consistent standing BHS, consistent ROBH, ROBH x 3 on the track, standing 3 on the track

Two weeks ago she was still being lightly spotted on her skills because she was so hot/cold on hitting them. Then we had a new coach come in from another gym and it's like she sprinkled pixie dust on her!
And she has all the flying skills she needs for level 2 next season!

Back