Landing On Knees In Back Tuck?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 23, 2014
Sooo...I'm learning my back tuck. I'm currently on a fast track/trampoline and am setting nice and high and rotating fast - but I land on my knees every time!

Is this a normal progression? How do I know when to untuck?

CK x

Dumb question but as a coach are you not certified to instruct that skill or have a fellow coach that is certified and able to spot you?

Sooo...I'm learning my back tuck. I'm currently on a fast track/trampoline and am setting nice and high and rotating fast - but I land on my knees every time!

Is this a normal progression? How do I know when to untuck?

CK x

If you're landing on your knees you're not tucking long enough. Don't worry about untucking, the odds of you over rotating and landing on your bum or back are slim.

So I should stay tightly tucked for longer and see what happens?

(I might be old, but crash mats are my friend and I WILL get this!!)

HBS x

So I should stay tightly tucked for longer and see what happens?

(I might be old, but crash mats are my friend and I WILL get this!!)

HBS x

You really should have a coach or someone who knows what they're doing helping to train you. But yes, stay tucked, keep pulling.

I do know the technicality etc of the tuck itself - I coach up to L3 - but it's kind of different when it's me throwing the skill :) weird to explain!

There are supervisors that float around our adult gym session so I'll drag one over tonight and se what they say!

Thank you,

CK x

it could be a lot of things - not tucking fast enough at the start or not untucking at the right time can both lead to landing on your knees and only a video or a coach watching can tell the difference. CP had a little bit of both problems over the year long struggle she went through perfecting her standing tuck, but she learned her running tuck in like 2 days (so go figure). Be sure to keep using the crash mat if you are falling on your knees - tucks are dangerous to do on a regular floor if you aren't at least to the point where to get your feet down all the time.

Thank you - I managed to get one on my feet last night on the crash mat so just going to keep practising :)

CK x

Back