High School Legal Or Illegal?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 4, 2016
I'm trying to figure out if this trick (not sure if it qualifies as a skill) is illegal or legal at the high school level. Can anyone help me out?

Last edited:
Okay, I changed the format. It should be visible now.

21 years ago, Craigmont high school competed that skill. I believe it to be legal now, because I think it would fall under the same rule as the push-up/handstand flip to load in that is being taught at UCA camps sometimes.

I would send an email to the address provided at cheerrules.org for clarification. Send the video.

I e-mailed our state's governing cheer org (WACPC) at their cheer rules clarification email, and haven't gotten a response as of yet (sent the e-mail a week ago). So hopefully I get a response soon! :) Thanks for letting me know that it's at least been competed before!

I e-mailed our state's governing cheer org (WACPC) at their cheer rules clarification email, and haven't gotten a response as of yet (sent the e-mail a week ago). So hopefully I get a response soon! :) Thanks for letting me know that it's at least been competed before!

Jim Lord, the guy that runs the website I provided, is one of the head honcho safety people in school Cheer. If he gives it a thumbs up, you’ve got fairly solid ground to compete it. I bet your response would come a lot faster than through a state organization as well.

Just got a response from my state board,
“Hello Rebecca -

This skill is ILLEGAL as performed in the video. This would be considered an inversion because he is lifting her weight off of the performing surface, then releasing her to the performing surface. The skill violates Rules 3.3.6a (requiring a spotter for the release) and 3.3.6b (requiring someone in contact with the inverted athlete's upper half) on page 19 of the 2017-2018 NFHS Spirit Rules Book.”

Well dang. Lol. Glad I didn’t spend time teaching it yet or working it into our choreography.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“Hello Rebecca -

This skill is ILLEGAL as performed in the video. This would be considered an inversion because he is lifting her weight off of the performing surface, then releasing her to the performing surface. The skill violates Rules 3.3.6a (requiring a spotter for the release) and 3.3.6b (requiring someone in contact with the inverted athlete's upper half) on page 19 of the 2017-2018 NFHS Spirit Rules Book.”

Well dang. Lol. Glad I didn’t spend time teaching it yet or working it into our choreography.

Dang, it looks really cool. But imagine how many people would probably butcher the technique in this. Maybe it's for the best lol.

Dang, it looks really cool. But imagine how many people would probably butcher the technique in this. Maybe it's for the best lol.
For sure. When we showed it to the kids, they were like "Look at that hang time! You were floating for an entire second!" And I imagined my largest guy tossing my littlest flyer into oblivion. It's probably for the best. lol. :p

“Hello Rebecca -

We did a flip kind of like this (not quite) and found out in the warmup room at worlds that it was illegal. If you have someone else that can do nothing but put a finger on the girl flipping, it should be legal. But that might ruin the visual.

Back