Legality Quizzes?

Discussion in 'Skills' started by Jessica Lynn, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Michael White

Michael White I Fierce Board instead of work/study

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Exactly! It could be interpreted that any two skills could be used, but one needed to be a handspring. That would mean you could do handspring, whip, handspring, whip, whip, double. There's a minimum of two backward traveling tumbling skills. (Check) One of these two skills must be a handspring. (Check, since a handspring was used, and a whip was used. So one of the two skills was a handspring.)

2. Jessica Lynn

Jessica Lynn Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach / Athlete
    Any thoughts on the one up this week. I want to say it's legal because a T-jump isn't considered a jump and you may therefore do it before a back hand in level 2 (and the reverse is also true, backhand t-jump). But my question is that if the t-jump isn't considered a jump, does it then successfully break up the two back handsprings? As series backhands are illegal in level 2 standing tumbling. I mean the definition of series is 2 or more consecutively but? Maybe that's a silly thought but these are always so tricky haha!

3. XtremeWpg

XtremeWpg I think I can mix Cheer Music

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I'd say it's legal. Although a T jump isn't considered to be a jump for scoring purposes, any non-tumbling movement that breaks up a standing pass would make it not a series. That's how I've always thought of it.

4. cheer25mom

cheer25mom Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I say legal. T jump BHS is legal because T jump is not considered a jump skill. Series standing BHS is illegal, but series is defined as 2 BHS performed consecutively. The 2 BHS are not consecutive so they are not a series.

5. cheer25mom

cheer25mom Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    A simple pause breaks them. I thought it was any non-tumbling motion or skill breaks the series.

6. StephlCurry

StephlCurry I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    My daughter did these last season on her level 2 Senior team so I say legal :)

7. Jessica Lynn

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach / Athlete
    Yeah I agree! Someone mentioned a T-jump is considered something along the lines of a rebound. But yeah it was a silly thought but I always like getting them all out to discuss :)

8. XtremeWpg

XtremeWpg I think I can mix Cheer Music

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Some of them I have no earthly clue what the answers is. Which makes me nervous haha.

I struggle with Level 5 tumbling legalities. We actually don't have any level 5 teams where I'm from so I've never judged or coached one. I haven't bothered to really learn the ins and outs of it yet because of that

9. Michael White

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    This week's quiz, pretty cut and dry? Illegal since an inversion from above prep level needs 3 catchers?

10. Jessica Lynn

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach / Athlete
    I thought so too! But I believe it's legal because she becomes inverted at prep level which may be done with 2 at level 5. Thoughts!?

11. Jessica Lynn

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach / Athlete
    We are the same but with level 6! I used to cheer level 6 but now it's a thing of the past where I am from. Level 5 is still kicking (not as strong as it used to mind you)! In fact I'm on a team right now heading to worlds this year! But I coach level 4 so I know that level inside out.. every other level not quite as much hahaha!

12. Michael White

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    "Downward inversions are allowed from above prep level and must be assisted by at least three catchers, at least two of which are positioned to protect the head and shoulder area. Contact must be initiated at the shoulder level (or above) of the bases."
    I guess that depends on how you interpret the wording. Is it when she becomes inverted? Or where she starts to fall towards the inversion? She doesn't really stop at any point so I'd say the inversion "starts" above prep level.

13. Michael White

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I just rewatched it. I guess it could be considered a stop and back walkover off of base two, so I can see how it'd be called legal. She doesn't really go for the inversion before that.

14. McKenna.M

McKenna.M I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I found the quizzes on the website last week, but can't this week, help!

15. Emily

Emily International Cheer Correspondent Staff Member National Champion

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Hint: you're not watching a stunt in that video ;)