All-Star Length Of A Routine

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

wcdad

Cheer Parent
Dec 15, 2009
After listening to a lot of the new music that has been released, which there is a lot of good and creative music out there. The DJ’s and Mixers out did them selves this year. But I have also noticed that there are several mixes that are over the 2’ 30” that are set forth in the rules.

From the USASF Web Site under General Safety Rules and Routine Requirements
http://usasfrules.com/general-safety/

Rule N Clearly States
“Competition routines shall not exceed 2 minutes and 30 seconds.”

Why would a DJ deliver a mix that is over the time limit to a team?
Why would a Coach use any music that is over the limitl?
What is the penalty for going over that time limit?
Has there been any thought to a timing beep at the start of the routine to signal the start of the routine like they do in Gymnastics and Dance to the time keeper?

Seems like there is a lot to loose and nothing to gain by pushing the length of time of a routine. I know that some coaches will come in just under that mark.

Hahaha. I have nothing to really say on this, this year. I have yet to be at a competition where they have kept time. Half of the compeitions have ridiculous buffer zones of how far someone can go over.

Worlds is the only place that I truly believe this matters.

I do agree though, it is pointless to add in the 2 extra seconds and have to take them out.

When i choreography i do 44.5 8 counts, and i get mixes back from people that are 2:32-2:35. Not sure why they aren't more aware of the restrictions and just speed it up slightly. One thing i will say for certain mixes is, you need to use a stop watch. There may be a second of dead time on each end of the stick.

Ive typically crammed 47 8 counts.... and kept it under 2:30....

I haven't been at an event that didn't time (or least try to, but didn't sometimes due to human error). Penalties vary by EP and some don't give penalties unless it is timed 3 (Varsity) or 5 (Jammy) seconds over.

I haven't been at an event that didn't time (or least try to, but didn't sometimes due to human error). Penalties vary by EP and some don't give penalties unless it is timed 3 (Varsity) or 5 (Jammy) seconds over.
You're right. I do recall WSF timing.

They may just cut the music off (especially at worlds) right at 2:30 so they don't go over. Cali Elite did it at worlds this past year so that they didn't go over just in case.
Not sure why music producers go over in time, makes more sense to actually go under a few seconds just to be safe.
Didn't the USASF send out something last year before worlds about how they were going to crack down on this?

They may just cut the music off (especially at worlds) right at 2:30 so they don't go over. Cali Elite did it at worlds this past year so that they didn't go over just in case.
Not sure why music producers go over in time, makes more sense to actually go under a few seconds just to be safe.
Didn't the USASF send out something last year before worlds about how they were going to crack down on this?

When you are mixing a cake, it's easier to add a little more rather than try to take some back. With a cheer mix, I'm sure it's easier to cut a bit off rather than trying to get a bit added after the fact.

Hahaha. I have nothing to really say on this, this year. I have yet to be at a competition where they have kept time. Half of the compeitions have ridiculous buffer zones of how far someone can go over.

Worlds is the only place that I truly believe this matters.

I do agree though, it is pointless to add in the 2 extra seconds and have to take them out.

When i choreography i do 44.5 8 counts, and i get mixes back from people that are 2:32-2:35. Not sure why they aren't more aware of the restrictions and just speed it up slightly. One thing i will say for certain mixes is, you need to use a stop watch. There may be a second of dead time on each end of the stick.

Are the DJ / Mixers not aware of the time rule?

When you are mixing a cake, it's easier to add a little more rather than try to take some back. With a cheer mix, I'm sure it's easier to cut a bit off rather than trying to get a bit added after the fact.

I understand where you are coming from here but the baker is going to deliver a final product that is what the customer ordered. He is not going to ice the cake, decorate it, deliver it, than cut and scrape off what is not needed.

I do some editing of videos with still pictures and it is not as easy as sounds. One change affects other things that come after. I could not imagine that editing a finished cheer mix would be that easy when you take into account voiceovers being timed for an exact spot as well as songs. Why would a DJ or Mixer take it upon himself to deliver a product that is over in time forcing a coach and owner to have them make some changes holding up their team’s progression? Why would a coach take delivery and make payment on it as well?

This is a double edge sword. Customer services as well as legality of the routine

Has there been any thought to the use of a timing beep at the start of a routine like is done for dance and gymnastics?

Has there been any thought to the use of a timing beep at the start of a routine like is done for dance and gymnastics?

Not that I'm aware of. It would take a lot of parts to working together to make that a reality.

Back