Level 1 Prone To Squish

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

KikiD22

Cheer Parent
Dec 14, 2009
Level 1 Stunt Question: Flyers round-off and rebound into a prone position with two bases, and backspot and a front spot (that steps in). Already know the RO to prone is legal. The flyer is then "popped up" into a squish, with the backspot holding the flyer's ankles the entire time, and the bases catching the feet. Is this legal as long as the backspot holds the ankles the entire time?

Level 1 Stunt Question: Flyers round-off and rebound into a prone position with two bases, and backspot and a front spot (that steps in). Already know the RO to prone is legal. The flyer is then "popped up" into a squish, with the backspot holding the flyer's ankles the entire time, and the bases catching the feet. Is this legal as long as the backspot holds the ankles the entire time?

So, I'm having my kids do this and from the way I read the rules it *should* be legal - back spot counts as a base without question because it is below prep level so no need for an additional spotter, and according to Level 1 Stunts D:
During transitions, at least one base must remain in contact with the top person. Exception: Leap frogs and leap frog variations are not allowed in L1.

This isn't a leap frog/variation and it is a transition, not a release move since one "base" remains in contact. HOWEVER, I'm having the side bases keep their front hand in contact with the flyer up near her chest as she rotates into squish position because I figure that the safety judges are human and therefore cannot see through the flyer to verify that the back is, indeed, holding onto her ankles throughout the transition. It works, it doesn't take away anything visually from the stunt and it ensures that the safety judges can actually see a connection. Theoretically, it should not be needed... but again, safety judges usually do not have x-ray vision. If you could rotate the stunt so the connection with the back could be seen, you should be okay.

This kinda doesn't answer your question but what's the required number of people to catch the RO to prone? Is it 3 people like bases and back or do you need extra people?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

If the backspot maintains contact, then it isn't a release move. So you just need to make sure you aren't twisting, or exceeding the height requirements for stunts. I think you should be fine, but never able to say fully legal without a video.

If the backspot maintains contact, then it isn't a release move. So you just need to make sure you aren't twisting, or exceeding the height requirements for stunts. I think you should be fine, but never able to say fully legal without a video.

You couldn't do it with a 1/4 twist?

So, I'm having my kids do this and from the way I read the rules it *should* be legal - back spot counts as a base without question because it is below prep level so no need for an additional spotter, and according to Level 1 Stunts D:
During transitions, at least one base must remain in contact with the top person. Exception: Leap frogs and leap frog variations are not allowed in L1.

This isn't a leap frog/variation and it is a transition, not a release move since one "base" remains in contact. HOWEVER, I'm having the side bases keep their front hand in contact with the flyer up near her chest as she rotates into squish position because I figure that the safety judges are human and therefore cannot see through the flyer to verify that the back is, indeed, holding onto her ankles throughout the transition. It works, it doesn't take away anything visually from the stunt and it ensures that the safety judges can actually see a connection. Theoretically, it should not be needed... but again, safety judges usually do not have x-ray vision. If you could rotate the stunt so the connection with the back could be seen, you should be okay.
The way it's being performed in the routine, the "pop up" is done backs to the judges on a slight angle (flyers RO in a v pattern from center towards the stunts), so there shouldn't be any issue with them seeing the connection.

Back