Level 1 Pyramids.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 6, 2010
I have a few questions regarding level 1 pyramids.

1. In a level 1 pyramid, I know you need to braced by two people to go to an extended two leg stunt but can the two braces be bracing the same arm.

2. Can you tick tock in a level 1 pyramid from prep to prep?

3. In a level 1 stunt, can you go from a 1 leg at thigh level to a shoulder sit and then back to a 1 leg at thigh level will attach video when i get it.

I have a few questions regarding level 1 pyramids.

1. In a level 1 pyramid, I know you need to braced by two people to go to an extended two leg stunt but can the two braces be bracing the same arm.

2. Can you tick tock in a level 1 pyramid from prep to prep?

3. In a level 1 stunt, can you go from a 1 leg at thigh level to a shoulder sit and then back to a 1 leg at thigh level will attach video when i get it.

1. I asked this question at the end of last season. Both braces can be bracing the same arm. The rule doesn't specify that they have to be braced on both sides. It just says by two people.

2. As long as you have one person, the backspot, maintain constant contact with the flyer, and they are braced on one side, I would think this is legal. The backspot would essentially have to be holding onto both ankles and maintain that contact the whole time, resulting in a "faux" tick tock but giving the same effect.

3. Since the stunt never passes above a shoulder sit, I would assume this is legal. The only question I have with the legality of it is the turn the base makes in the transition from one side to the other. I am not sure if that would be interpreted as the flyer rotating more than 1/4 turn. Don't have the base turn the way she did, and I would think this is legal. (And it looks pretty cool.)

3. Since the stunt never passes above a shoulder sit, I would assume this is legal. The only question I have with the legality of it is the turn the base makes in the transition from one side to the other. I am not sure if that would be interpreted as the flyer rotating more than 1/4 turn. Don't have the base turn the way she did, and I would think this is legal. (And it looks pretty cool.)

I'd call it on being more than 1/4.

What about a split in level 2? Like say in a pyramid there are 3 stunt groups 1 bracer on each side the group dips show and gos to the top slipts and then goes back and hits an extension? Would that be legal?

Yes for the level 2 question, that's legal (assuming right number of bases etc). To make that level 1 legal just have them pause before they spin. Les told me that as long as its not a mount or transition you can walk and turn and move around all day (or 2.5 minutes, those time deductions hurt ;) )

I'd call it on being more than 1/4.

I've always wondered about this - the rules state:
Twisting mounts and transitions are allowed up to a ¼ twisting rotation by the top person in relation to the
performing surface.
Clarification: A twist performed with an additional turn by the bases performed in the same skill set, would be illegal if
the resulting cumulative rotation of the top person exceeds ¼ rotations. The safety judge will use the hips of
the top person to determine the amount of total rotation a top person performs in a skill set. Once a
stunt is hit (i.e. prep) and the athletes show a definite and clear stop, then they may continue to walk
the stunt in additional rotation.

How much further can that "additional rotation" go? Would the stunt in the video be fine if the flyer/base completely stopped moving at 1/4 turn, then continued turning around? I know I've seen level 1 teams go straight up to a prep and then, once set, spin the whole stunt group around in a circle - is this legal? I guess I just don't understand the meaning of "then they may continue to walk
the stunt in additional rotation." Thanks for clarification.

How much further can that "additional rotation" go?

It's not limited.

Would the stunt in the video be fine if the flyer/base completely stopped moving at 1/4 turn, then continued turning around?

Yes.

I know I've seen level 1 teams go straight up to a prep and then, once set, spin the whole stunt group around in a circle - is this legal?

Yes.

I guess I just don't understand the meaning of "then they may continue to walk the stunt in additional rotation." Thanks for clarification.

We look at the rotation from a dip to a stop, so basically an entry or a transition. Once a stunt hits it can rotate as much as it want to.

drewpate would the split stunt be legal in level 1 it was typo! :)
I would have to see it. It depends upon if it becomes an extended one leg stunt at somepoint, which would then make it illegal. I would assume it would be legal if done in a way that the bases hold held both feet the entire way, but i would still have to see it.

Latest posts

Back