Level 1 Rule Clarification?"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 2, 2011
I was working with a group of girls I'm grooming to be a level 1 team next year, so I don't want to teach them wrong.
We were doing unassisted/unspotted shoulder sits where the base would put their hands under the flyers feet and the flyer would then stand up (Akin to a level 6 pyramid but on the ground as a level one partner stunt).
I was then going to have the flyers pop off so the bases could start getting the idea of a pop off for when they eventually bring it to hands level (prep).

The rules this season have gotten really iffy with waist level 1 dismounts now that the new clarification has been made. They now can't cradle from waist level, but the rules say "Straight drops or small hop offs, with no additional skills, from waist level or below are the only dismounts allowed to the performing surface that do not require assistance. Bases may not intentionally pop, move or
toss an athlete to the performance surface without assistance."

So, can I have them pop off, or do the have to just drop her feet? I dont want them to get into the habit of not giving the flyer a little pop before they go to waist for the dismount.

2w20zfp.jpg

Theyre doing what the center group is doing, only the middle layer is the base on the ground. Playschools my first partner stunt. :D

What age group are these girls you coach? Because I currently coach a mini level one team and strength/size wise I don't see them being able to do that skill successfully. But an older group would likely have more luck in that department.

You can give a small pop. They're trying to stop people from launching flyers at level 1 cause no tosses are allowed. With the pop, make sure the base guides the flyer to the floor safely, and you'll be fine.

You can give a small pop. They're trying to stop people from launching flyers at level 1 cause no tosses are allowed. With the pop, make sure the base guides the flyer to the floor safely, and you'll be fine.

Thank you!

What age group are these girls you coach? Because I currently coach a mini level one team and strength/size wise I don't see them being able to do that skill successfully. But an older group would likely have more luck in that department.

They're late elementary school mostly. They've all done it it's just not clean.

Back