Level 1 Tumbling

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 18, 2014
Now that a RO backwalkover is illegal in level 1, would a roundoff PAUSE backwalkover count as a single running tumbling pass?

Also, I am having my level 1 team work on handstand forward roll into cartwheel backwalkover. Would this be counted as a running skill as well? Not sure if the handstand forward roll would make it standing.

I was curious and looked at what the new rules say, and I can see why you are questioning.

"No tumbling is allowed in immediate combination after a round off. If tumbling does occur after a round off a clear
and distinct pause must immediately follow a round off or round off rebound."

this is the rules change. It appears to me that roundoff pause BWO is allowable, but I THINK the pause would break it into 2 passes?

Here is the definition of running tumbling:

"Running Tumbling: Tumbling that involves a forward step or a hurdle used to gain momentum as an entry to a tumbling skill."

This is a little more grey area. would the step into the handstand count?

The only way to really know is to email the EP's that you'll be competing with. They'll be able to give you a clearer answer based on their scoresheets.

I was curious and looked at what the new rules say, and I can see why you are questioning.

"No tumbling is allowed in immediate combination after a round off. If tumbling does occur after a round off a clear
and distinct pause must immediately follow a round off or round off rebound."

this is the rules change. It appears to me that roundoff pause BWO is allowable, but I THINK the pause would break it into 2 passes?

Here is the definition of running tumbling:

"Running Tumbling: Tumbling that involves a forward step or a hurdle used to gain momentum as an entry to a tumbling skill."

This is a little more grey area. would the step into the handstand count?

I am no coach , ep or judge. But reading these rules - it sounds like the handstand forward roll would count as running.
Also the round-off would count as a running skill. The pause differentiates the pass - into a standing pass.

I recall having a conversation with someone a while back saying a lot of level 1 skills can fall in the middle of running/standing - thus can be counted as both.

I am no coach , ep or judge. But reading these rules - it sounds like the handstand forward roll would count as running.
Also the round-off would count as a running skill. The pause differentiates the pass - into a standing pass.

I recall having a conversation with someone a while back saying a lot of level 1 skills can fall in the middle of running/standing - thus can be counted as both.

Hmmm. So does this mean handstand forward roll cartwheel backwalkover would count as a running pass? I want to include the backwalkover in the pass so I'm thinking maybe doing a cartwheel instead of a round off would allow me to do that.

Hmmm. So does this mean handstand forward roll cartwheel backwalkover would count as a running pass? I want to include the backwalkover in the pass so I'm thinking maybe doing a cartwheel instead of a round off would allow me to do that.

again- i dont know forsure. but I think it would, if you 'ran' and 'hurdled' into the handstand forward roll...

anyone (coach/official) able to weight in?

Running Tumbling: 'tumbling that involves a forward step or hurdle used to gain momentum as an entry to a tumbling skill'
Standing Tumbling: 'A tumbling skill (or series of skills) performed from a standing position without any previous forward momentum. Any number of steps backward prior to execution of tumbling skill(s) is still defined as "standing tumbling"."
With that being said, i'd be cautious stepping into the handstand.
What about something like a BWO, CW, BWO for the standing pass? That cannot be construed as a running pass :) Anything starting with backwards movement is the safest way to go, IMO.
Or depending on the level of your athletes, you could start with some back extension rolls into your BWOs :)

We scored a 4.9 at the summit for both standing and running tumbling and this is what we did.

Standing tumbling:
BWO cartwheel BWO
Handstand bridge kickover BWO BWO

I've done the handstand bridge kickover pass the last two years in my routines and judges seem to really enjoy it! Last year we did a cartwheel in front of the handstand.

Running tumbling: every pass started with a front walkover. We struggled with having full squad front walkovers so we repeated athletes and made sure we had a variety of different passes and not just a bunch of FWO RO BWO going during running tumbling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We scored a 4.9 at the summit for both standing and running tumbling and this is what we did.

Standing tumbling:
BWO cartwheel BWO
Handstand bridge kickover BWO BWO

I've done the handstand bridge kickover pass the last two years in my routines and judges seem to really enjoy it! Last year we did a cartwheel in front of the handstand.

Running tumbling: every pass started with a front walkover. We struggled with having full squad front walkovers so we repeated athletes and made sure we had a variety of different passes and not just a bunch of FWO RO BWO going during running tumbling.

So the handstand initial skill counted as a standing element?

The handstand bridge was considered standing. However, I have used a handstand forward roll in a running tumbling pass before. Something like a FWO handstand forward roll cartwheel BWO.

When you say handstand bridge kickover, BWO, BWO is that the same as a front limber, then a kickover, then bwo, bwo? I'm trying to picture it...

They can be done either way - handstand with feet together, fall to bridge then kick back over. Or handstand with legs in splits and only 1 foot touches the ground then pushes immediately in to the kickover (like a front walkover but half way through it reverses... I call these tick-tocks).

Generally I've seen the second way competed more frequently

When you say handstand bridge kickover, BWO, BWO is that the same as a front limber, then a kickover, then bwo, bwo? I'm trying to picture it...

I'll attach a video for clarification. And it was more of a handstand (feet together) fall to bridge, then a kick over from the backbend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back