Level 2 Standing/running Tumbling Pass

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 10, 2011
I was wondering if the following pass is legal in level 2:

Back walk over back handspring step out half turn cartwheel back handspring back handspring

More specifically I'm wondering about the double back handspring at the end of the pass. Would this pass constitute as a standing or running pass? Would I have to put an extra step after the half turn to make it legal?

Thanks.

There needs to be a clear separation between the standing pass and running pass otherwise the entire thing would be considered standing because that's how it started. Taking steps between them is one way to show they are separate.

This is legal as long as the half turn is made very evident, changing the direction from backwards (standing) to forwards (running). As long as you have that half turn and round off prior to the 2 back handsprings, it is legal.

There needs to be a clear separation between the standing pass and running pass otherwise the entire thing would be considered standing because that's how it started. Taking steps between them is one way to show they are separate.
When I was at a regional meeting this summer, Les defined this as going forwards is considered running tumbling. He never made mention of Clear separation which means steps between.

A level 3 pass that is standing handspring step out, round off tuck would be considered legal without any steps between.

This is legal as long as the half turn is made very evident, changing the direction from backwards (standing) to forwards (running). As long as you have that half turn and round off prior to the 2 back handsprings, it is legal.

What would need to be done to make the half turn very evident?

When I was at a regional meeting this summer, Les defined this as going forwards is considered running tumbling. He never made mention of Clear separation which means steps between.

A level 3 pass that is standing handspring step out, round off tuck would be considered legal without any steps between.

Step out and 1/2 turn or step out and head back towards the direction you/they started?

Step out and 1/2 turn or step out and head back towards the direction you/they started?
I believe we discussed step out 1/2 turn. And since they were changing the momentum to forward it was considered running for the RO tuck. (He said as soon as you do anything from a roundoff it would change to running)

What would need to be done to make the half turn very evident?

The step out half turn itself, to me, IS very evident. I was making a blanket statement any of those rules though. As long as you (the judge) can see that it is no longer a standing pass (which, to me, the round off does that), then you are fine. Even if they didn't do the half turn, if they did a round off, that makes it now running tumbling, so the 2 back handsprings would be legal since they follow the round off. Are you just being argumentative @Andre haha

@imrichhowboutu & @ cheerinfo - I think in most cases the 1/2 would count as a clear separation. I don't think the forward to backwards change automatically does it, but in most cases a front to back or right to left change would?

BHS - Arabian - RO - (Whatever) - Would you say this is 2 passes, a standing BHS Arabian, and a running RO Whatever?

BHS - BHS - BHS - Tuck - Punch Front - RO - (Whatever) - Would you say this is 2 passes, standing 3+tuck and running Front through to Whatever?

@imrichhowboutu & @ cheerinfo - I think in most cases the 1/2 would count as a clear separation. I don't think the forward to backwards change automatically does it, but in most cases a front to back or right to left change would?

BHS - Arabian - RO - (Whatever) - Would you say this is 2 passes, a standing BHS Arabian, and a running RO Whatever?

BHS - BHS - BHS - Tuck - Punch Front - RO - (Whatever) - Would you say this is 2 passes, standing 3+tuck and running Front through to Whatever?
I wouldn't say it is a separation of passes. And for some companies, they may score it as however you are starting. However, I thought for legality, we were looking at just which direction the person is tumbling.

With the first pass, an arabian is a level 5 skill, so either way we look it, it is legal.

For your second scenario, that would only be legal in level 5 since in level 4 you cant do flip flip combinations regardless of the direction.

I wouldn't say it is a separation of passes. And for some companies, they may score it as however you are starting. However, I thought for legality, we were looking at just which direction the person is tumbling.

With the first pass, an arabian is a level 5 skill, so either way we look it, it is legal.

For your second scenario, that would only be legal in level 5 since in level 4 you cant do flip flip combinations regardless of the direction.

Bolded - Would that logic make the BHS Tuck part of a RO BHS Tuck a standing tumbling pass?

I was told to go with the way the pass started until there was a clear ending, not the direction they are moving for a specific skill within the pass.

I'm more interesting in knowing your thoughts on whether they are 1 pass or 2 than what level(s) they are legal.

Okay, would it still be legal if it was 1/2 turn CARTWHEEL double back handspring?

Bolded - Would that logic make the BHS Tuck part of a RO BHS Tuck a standing tumbling pass?

I was told to go with the way the pass started until there was a clear ending, not the direction they are moving for a specific skill within the pass.

I'm more interesting in knowing your thoughts on whether they are 1 pass or 2 than what level(s) they are legal.
I would consider that a single pass.

So going back to level 3 rules. Standing tumbling states no Tuck. BUt Running tumbling says you can do a tuck from RO. So if it starts as standing a BHS stepout RO Tuck would be illegal if it doesn't have a separation of passes. To me a separation of passes would be evident if a level 3 cheerleader was attempting this, as most would slow down during the turn. If a level 5 cheerleader competed this, It would be a lot harder to notice the separation.

However, I don't know anyone that considers a Roundoff a Standing tumbling skill. (You can do a round off from a standing position, but I wouldn't clarify it as standing tumbling).

Back