Level 3 Pyramid Release

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 28, 2009
Just need some clarification...
We have a very small team and do a stunt that has two groups. One prep group faces in, while the other is in a sponge/smush. They grab arms, the sponge group bounces, does a toe touch, and lands back in a sponge. Because they are only holding onto one group and pass through an extended position, it is illegal. (L3 Pyr, E1). In the clarification under E, it says that if they don't follow the four rules (which includes the two base contact) they must land in a cradle or dismount to the performing surface.
Let's say my kids do this stunt, land in the sponge after the toe touch, and tap the ground. Would this make it legal?

Any help is appreciated. We need to make changes ASAP and we only have one practice to do it, so I want to keep it as close to the original as possible. Thanks!

Just need some clarification...
We have a very small team and do a stunt that has two groups. One prep group faces in, while the other is in a sponge/smush. They grab arms, the sponge group bounces, does a toe touch, and lands back in a sponge. Because they are only holding onto one group and pass through an extended position, it is illegal. (L3 Pyr, E1). In the clarification under E, it says that if they don't follow the four rules (which includes the two base contact) they must land in a cradle or dismount to the performing surface.
Let's say my kids do this stunt, land in the sponge after the toe touch, and tap the ground. Would this make it legal?

Any help is appreciated. We need to make changes ASAP and we only have one practice to do it, so I want to keep it as close to the original as possible. Thanks!

You can do this as choreographed provided you follow these rules:
  • Clarification on E1 says, "Clarification: Level 3 Pyramid Release Moves may now incorporate stunt release moves that maintain contact with one other top person provided the Release move meet the criteria established under L3 Stunt Release Moves or L3 Dismounts."
  • This means that you can do this per stunt rule J1 which says, "Release moves are allowed but must not pass above extended arm level.Clarification: If the release move passes above extended arm level, it will be considered a toss, and must follow the appropriate “Toss” rules. To determine the height of a release move, at the highest point of the release, the distance from the hips to the extended arms of the bases will be used to determine the height of the release. If that distance is greater than the length of the top person’s legs, it will be considered a toss or dismount and must follow the appropriate “Toss” or “Dismount” rules." So pretty much as long as your bases aren't throwing the flyer past that "extended arm level" you are fine.

You can do this as choreographed provided you follow these rules:
  • Clarification on E1 says, "Clarification: Level 3 Pyramid Release Moves may now incorporate stunt release moves that maintain contact with one other top person provided the Release move meet the criteria established under L3 Stunt Release Moves or L3 Dismounts."
  • This means that you can do this per stunt rule J1 which says, "Release moves are allowed but must not pass above extended arm level.Clarification: If the release move passes above extended arm level, it will be considered a toss, and must follow the appropriate “Toss” rules. To determine the height of a release move, at the highest point of the release, the distance from the hips to the extended arms of the bases will be used to determine the height of the release. If that distance is greater than the length of the top person’s legs, it will be considered a toss or dismount and must follow the appropriate “Toss” or “Dismount” rules." So pretty much as long as your bases aren't throwing the flyer past that "extended arm level" you are fine.

Well apparently whatever we did this weekend was illegal, but it was somewhat confusing to me.
We did the bounce toe touch, bounce, bounce, tuck, sponge, tap, hitch. According to NCA, the toe touch was illegal, which I'm assuming is because it is beyond extended level, but they said nothing about the tuck. If we just did the toe touch lower it is fine?

Let's say we don't want to risk it. According to the rules, if it doesn't have two people and is extended, it must land in cradle or dismount to the floor. If we catch in the sponge and touch the floor before we did the tuck, is this legal?

I know this is hard to understand without a video, but we practice tomorrow and that's it before competition on Saturday. I need to change it tomorrow, which means no time for a video and answer. Thanks for all your help.

Well apparently whatever we did this weekend was illegal, but it was somewhat confusing to me.
We did the bounce toe touch, bounce, bounce, tuck, sponge, tap, hitch. According to NCA, the toe touch was illegal, which I'm assuming is because it is beyond extended level, but they said nothing about the tuck. If we just did the toe touch lower it is fine?

Let's say we don't want to risk it. According to the rules, if it doesn't have two people and is extended, it must land in cradle or dismount to the floor. If we catch in the sponge and touch the floor before we did the tuck, is this legal?

I know this is hard to understand without a video, but we practice tomorrow and that's it before competition on Saturday. I need to change it tomorrow, which means no time for a video and answer. Thanks for all your help.
It must land in a cradle or dis mount to the performing surface. If you catch something in a sponge then tap the ground, you didn't dismount to the performing surface, you caught it in a sponge. Also, dismounts that are above extended arm level aren't allowed to dismount to the surface, they must be caught in a cradle. Also be aware that you can't twist, even a quarter to catch it in a cradle.

The skill you want to do is really a level 4 skill. I think the easiest way around it is to follow the stunt rule and not go above extended arm level.

It must land in a cradle or dis mount to the performing surface. If you catch something in a sponge then tap the ground, you didn't dismount to the performing surface, you caught it in a sponge. Also, dismounts that are above extended arm level aren't allowed to dismount to the surface, they must be caught in a cradle. Also be aware that you can't twist, even a quarter to catch it in a cradle.

The skill you want to do is really a level 4 skill. I think the easiest way around it is to follow the stunt rule and not go above extended arm level.

Thanks!
I think there was confusion between us and NCA this weekend over what part was illegal and what they wrote down on the safety deduction sheet. I talked to them, and hopefully we are straightening it all out. If it was illegal, I believe it was because it was above extended by accident, which we will easily fix tonight, instead of redoing things. Once again, thanks for your help.

Thanks!
I think there was confusion between us and NCA this weekend over what part was illegal and what they wrote down on the safety deduction sheet. I talked to them, and hopefully we are straightening it all out. If it was illegal, I believe it was because it was above extended by accident, which we will easily fix tonight, instead of redoing things. Once again, thanks for your help.
Also remember, it goes by where the feet of the flyer would be if she was standing up. So it is hard for some people to judge that as well. I would say you want to make sure the shoulders of the girl doing the toe touch don't travel above the head of the flyer in the prep bracing her.

Also remember, it goes by where the feet of the flyer would be if she was standing up. So it is hard for some people to judge that as well. I would say you want to make sure the shoulders of the girl doing the toe touch don't travel above the head of the flyer in the prep bracing her.

Yeah, I think we are going to make sure the girl in the prep keeps her elbows glued to her side so there is no question. From what I was told today, the prep person can put her arms straight out parallel to the ground but no higher. We will adjust for this weekend! Tough lesson for me to learn (it took the kids from first to third) but it happens. :)

Yeah, I think we are going to make sure the girl in the prep keeps her elbows glued to her side so there is no question. From what I was told today, the prep person can put her arms straight out parallel to the ground but no higher. We will adjust for this weekend! Tough lesson for me to learn (it took the kids from first to third) but it happens. :)
I guess each judge looks at it differently. If the girl in the prep has her arms parallel to the ground, then the Toe Touch release would be at prep level. But better safe then sorry.

Latest posts

Back