All-Star Level Up Or Down?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Just-a-Mom

Best Overall Female Newbie
Cheer Parent
Jan 5, 2011
Let me start by saying I know it's not up to me, but the coaches. So this is more just a curiosity thing. Would you rather your child be leveled up when being placed on a team or leveled down? What I mean is...let's say my cp can throw a great BHS, and is working on a tuck (she's not, but let's just say she is...like maybe by May?
rolleyes.png
), but she can base ANYTHING, and is a fierce dancer and jumper. If this were your child, would you rather they be placed on a Level 2 team that they'd be one of the best on? Or on a Level 4 team, where they'd be the "token non-tumbler" but could do everything else? (In my hypothetical gym there is no Level 3
wink.png
)

I think I'd rather the Level 4 because she'd learn more and probably get her tumbling quicker, but then again I don't know how great she'd feel going in day after day being the ONE who can't do everything (and having everyone look at her like "How are you on this team???")

I also wonder would you rather go to a huge, big name gym where your child would be just one of 200 "average" kids, but would be at a big name gym that wins lots of trophies? Or a smaller, maybe not-as-good gym where they'd be one of the bes--maybe not as many trophies/jackets, but also they wouldn't get lost in the "Oh, you can't do a full? go over there with the rest of the peasants"

So basically would you rather your child be placed on a level at or below where they are so they'd be the "top dog" or a level above so they'd be where they're trying to get?

And at a big gym with average skills? Or small gym with upper skills?

It's an individual thing. You really have to look not just at the kid's skills, but their motivation and personality. Some kids need that push up to the next level to gain their skills, while others it would be too much pressure on them.

im not a mom, just an athlete
but with no level 3 team.. definitely level 2 until she gets ALL of the level 3 tumbling at least..
my team just dropped down to level 3, but we've been level 4.. and i was one of 2 without a layout, BUT they made it a necessity to have all other level 4 minimum requirements (standing tuck, hand hand tuck, jump handspring tuck)
having just a handspring on a level 4 team, while it might help her with motivation to get more tumbling, she has still quite a ways to go, and i know when i didnt throw a layout, i felt like i was letting the team down which definitely sucked

ahahah about the second question, i dont think big gyms refer to their non level 5 athletes as peasants ! ;)
but i personally would rather be at a big name, because that would really motivate me!
not being on the upper level teams, but seeing them would really get me working to be on it the next year!

a lot of the time, being at a small gym with a lot of skills isn;t going to do much for you because they most likely would not have the upper level team, so the athlete would most likely be held back to the level that would best fit all of the athletes on the team

4<3 I just think that she would progress more learning off girls who are tumblers and would feel a lot happier in a high level, and that would give her a confidence boost <- A big enough one to improve her tumbling<3

Part of why I'm asking is at a couple gyms we've looked at (I won't mention any names) I've checked out all their teams (either in person or on youtube) and some of their Level 2 teams are AWFUL. There. I said it. And I don't know how happy she'd be on a team that NEVER does well. I sort of feel like she might be happier being the worst tumbler on a team that performs well than the best on a team that...um...isn't good at all.
redface.png

But again, it's not up to me. Just Sunday morning thoughts.

The grass isn't always greener!! It will really depend if that level 4 team needs a great jumper or dancer or base hand has exhausted all with level 4 skills that can fill that team. It could give your kid a complex being new on a team and not having the required skills. Girls can be really cruel!
I understand the "awful" level 2 team.... It is a very competitive division with probably the most teams in it and It is really hard to master that division.
As long as you are searching you may want to really try and find that level 3 team.... there are more of them around then level 4.....and have your daughter start working skills now to be ready for try outs!!
Sometimes level 4 seems really far away to a kid skill wise and can make them feel hopeless...or, as ACX cheer said it could motivate her....you just don't know!!!
The larger gyms are a great place to be if you really want to fine tune your daughters level... they usually have very competitive teams at every level and your child can work through all the progressions while staying at the top of the game. The larger gyms also offer more tumbling classes and clinics, rod floors, tramps and high level coaching with a variety of instructors to choose from.
My CP was at a small gym for many years and is now in a huge gym so I saw both sides. She definetley was the "star" of her old gym and now is just a level 5 athelete. It's ok with her and it's ok with me.... She is on an age appropriete/ skill appropriete team that is very competitive.
The best advice is do whats best for her and not what you and she thinks is best.... Very hard sometimes!!!
good luck :)

The grass isn't always greener!! It will really depend if that level 4 team needs a great jumper or dancer or base hand has exhausted all with level 4 skills that can fill that team. It could give your kid a complex being new on a team and not having the required skills. Girls can be really cruel!
I understand the "awful" level 2 team.... It is a very competitive division with probably the most teams in it and It is really hard to master that division.
As long as you are searching you may want to really try and find that level 3 team.... there are more of them around then level 4.....and have your daughter start working skills now to be ready for try outs!!
Sometimes level 4 seems really far away to a kid skill wise and can make them feel hopeless...or, as ACX cheer said it could motivate her....you just don't know!!!
The larger gyms are a great place to be if you really want to fine tune your daughters level... they usually have very competitive teams at every level and your child can work through all the progressions while staying at the top of the game. The larger gyms also offer more tumbling classes and clinics, rod floors, tramps and high level coaching with a variety of instructors to choose from.
My CP was at a small gym for many years and is now in a huge gym so I saw both sides. She definetley was the "star" of her old gym and now is just a level 5 athelete. It's ok with her and it's ok with me.... She is on an age appropriete/ skill appropriete team that is very competitive.
The best advice is do whats best for her and not what you and she thinks is best.... Very hard sometimes!!!
good luck :)

I would echo this whole post... every kid is different, so gym size may not be as much a factor as what level teams they offer.

"Girls can be cruel..." I will share a story with you.... At my old gym, about 5 years ago, I had an 11 year old with just a backhandspring who ended up on a Senior 3 team because Mom was a big spender at the gym and didn't want her on a youth team anymore. She literally had no other skills to offer- she couldn't base or fly level 3, and had no jump or dance skills. She was unfocused, and miserable the entire year. The girls on the team were absolutely horrible to her, and I was never made aware of this, until the end of the season. I felt that she just got nothing out of being on that team. Now, your CP sounds a bit different. That's great that she is a fierce dancer and jumper, but keep in mind that even at level 1 you need to have those skills, so that may not be a good enough justification to make the jump to level 4.

I hope whatever you decide works out:)

IMO I'd find the level 3 team and if not then I'd go to the L2. If you don't have the skills for the level 4 team you shouldn't be on it. You would just be hindering the team until you pick up the skills and there is no guarantee that you will get them. Level 2 is highly competative and the need skilled people who can do everything. Putting your cp on a team where they are not up to par leaves them open to scrutiny and resentment from the rest of the team when they can't produce the scores.

As for winning. I can assure you that if you go to a huge gym with with 200 kids and your cp is just another cheer leader but her team wins everywhere you go it feels just as good as if you were winning with your small gym.

HELLO! In my gym, you have to have all of the required skills to make a level 3 or level 4 team. I'm currently on JR level 3, and everyone on my team has a roundolph tuck, and multiple jumps t multiple handsprings. This is pretty much the reason why we are so successful. So my personal opinion is to go to level 2. Your daughter will feel more comfortable, and the girls on her team will have the same skill level as her.

About going to a big gym or a small gym see which ones are in your area. My suggestion, go to an up and coming gym. If you tell me what area your in I could recommend some, but if you go to an up and coming gym you not only get the feel of being part of a family instead of just another cheerleader, but you also will win many competetions. Good Luck!

As a coach, I believe the best thing for the kid is to be on level 2. The jump from 2-4 is HUGE. Basing 2 leg extended stunts to learning full ups and switch ups, I think is way too much. I see that the kids in my gym that are the most successful in the end (Sr's) are the ones that went through each level, the Sr's that struggle the most are the ones that got their tumbling fast so were "hurried" up the latter and skipped the progression levels. I know every parent wants there kid to be happy and often sees higher level as higher success but I completely disagree. The fundamentals are key and if your kid "almost" has a tuck and gets it then she would be on the right track, if she is put on a level 4 team esp at a smaller gym I believe the "need" for level 4 tumbling might outweigh the "need" for correct technique. JMO

As a coach, I believe the best thing for the kid is to be on level 2. The jump from 2-4 is HUGE. Basing 2 leg extended stunts to learning full ups and switch ups, I think is way too much. I see that the kids in my gym that are the most successful in the end (Sr's) are the ones that went through each level, the Sr's that struggle the most are the ones that got their tumbling fast so were "hurried" up the latter and skipped the progression levels. I know every parent wants there kid to be happy and often sees higher level as higher success but I completely disagree. The fundamentals are key and if your kid "almost" has a tuck and gets it then she would be on the right track, if she is put on a level 4 team esp at a smaller gym I believe the "need" for level 4 tumbling might outweigh the "need" for correct technique. JMO

Her last team was a 4.2 so i know she can base the level 4 stunts, but only one gym we're looking at has that. The others have either Sr. 2 and 4 or Sr. 3 and 4. I will probably request that she be on the 2. I know my request is just that--a request and that they'll put her where they need her, but you guys have given me some good thoughts--and I definitely think she'd be much happier being the new kid if she has ALL the skills for her team than if she is the "weak link".

I think it really depends on the gym and the athlete. Really the entire combination! You can have THE Most motivated child but if the "gym" (and I use that term to also include the other athletes on the team) sees him/her as a "the only one who can't do a standing tuck" it could lead to a very stressful and not fun experience. Sometimes it is better to be the "star" at the appropriate level than be the one other think brings the team down. From a personal experience I can tell you that our daughter double teamed on a 2 and a 4 (she had 4 and even 5 skills at the time) and if she had been told she could have only picked ONE of those teams, she would have chosen the 2. But that really boiled down to the team dynamics.

As far as big gym vs. small gym. There are pros and cons to both really and again I think it boils down to what the individual program offers. Do they have a dynamic tumbling program? Do they have instructors who can instruct and spot higher level skills? Are the coaches personable and motivating? If a small gym has these I think it is a great place to be because the kids often get more personal instruction. But you do run into the situation where you don't have a "perfect" team for each child and the small gyms are far too often victims of "the grass is greener over at the big gym down the street".

And maybe her skills will help motivate the other level 2 athletes! She may have a chance to be more of a leader on the level 2 team.

I say she would best on the level four team.. When I was put on a team that was higher than my level, my tumbling imporved so much because I didn't wanna tuck jump or nugget the entire time.

Additionally, don't make too many assumptions based on the big gym/small gym. Many big gyms do a great job with their lower level athletes, thats how they build there program and become "big" gyms. My cp (as a solid level 3, working on level 4) went from a small gym where she felt invisible to a big gym where she felt valued.

Back