High School Lib Help!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 11, 2014
my stunt groups can NOT for the life of them hit consistent libs. From a flyer toeing or dropping their hip and coming out of the stunt to the bases not giving her a flat surface or controling the foot. I need some awesome lib drills! When they do hit they are beautiful however I need consistency now.

have the flyer practice dipping to a lib on a chair. make them do it until it's perfect each time. tell them to focus on raising that hip and putting their shoulders forward. for the main base tell them to get under the stunt. secondary needs to squeeze as hard as they can to resist the flyers foot from moving. if she's tilting left to turn it right, and vice versa. Also, a problem my stunt group as bases if we take the path up slower it works. SLOW AND POWERFUL IS THE KEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

have the flyer practice dipping to a lib on a chair. make them do it until it's perfect each time. tell them to focus on raising that hip and putting their shoulders forward. for the main base tell them to get under the stunt. secondary needs to squeeze as hard as they can to resist the flyers foot from moving. if she's tilting left to turn it right, and vice versa. Also, a problem my stunt group as bases if we take the path up slower it works. SLOW AND POWERFUL IS THE KEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Slow and powerful" is not a thing.

Speed is power.

Everyone should be moving as quickly as possible to the top of the stunt. Explosive power will get the top to the top with less struggle and allow the bases to get their arms locked where they belong.

my stunt groups can NOT for the life of them hit consistent libs. From a flyer toeing or dropping their hip and coming out of the stunt to the bases not giving her a flat surface or controling the foot. I need some awesome lib drills! When they do hit they are beautiful however I need consistency now.

If they have demonstrated the ability to do the skill, there is no magical drill for consistency. It comes with time and time only. How many reps are they doing a day?

We hit 173 out of 202 stunts as a team in 45-ish minutes Monday.

Granted they were a variety of skills, but each time through the drill we mixed easy fundamentals with more advanced varieties and other things we are working on. If you want consistency in anything, from shooting free throws in basketball, to bunting in baseball, to basing a lib, you've got to get your reps in.

"Slow and powerful" is not a thing.

Speed is power.

Everyone should be moving as quickly as possible to the top of the stunt. Explosive power will get the top to the top with less struggle and allow the bases to get their arms locked where they belong.
im not saying like extra slow. but it needs to go slow enough for it to remain steady. my stunt group used to go so fast that the flyer wouldnt be able to adjust and her body would yank when she would get to the top. it depends on the base strength. our flyer was heavy so thats saying something.

It's a little tip, but works wonders..
The flyers chest should be hollowed out over her hips and she should have a VERY slight lean forward..

When I coached hs at first I was like you're all nuts - then all of a sudden all my flyers looked so solid in the air! it was amazing -- try it !

Not the same question but... How do you guys fix flyers that don't lock out? We have a very very small freshman flyer who does not lock out in anything. Stunts/tumbling/whatever. Her knees are just constantly bent. She's been flying extended libs since last year, so she knows what she has to do- she just doesn't (can't maybe?). We would love to have her compete, but we can't risk bases getting hurt/stunts not hitting/execution that could all be fixed with a locked knee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not the same question but... How do you guys fix flyers that don't lock out? We have a very very small freshman flyer who does not lock out in anything. Stunts/tumbling/whatever. Her knees are just constantly bent. She's been flying extended libs since last year, so she knows what she has to do- she just doesn't (can't maybe?). We would love to have her compete, but we can't risk bases getting hurt/stunts not hitting/execution that could all be fixed with a locked knee.

Ozell would probably tell you to break her knees and tell the doctors to put them back on straight.

I'd challenge her with trying to see how hard she can step up to the top of the stunt. I use the analogy of trying to step up three steps at a time, how you have to generate extra force with your driving leg.

How much bend are we talking about? Lotsa bend? Little bend? Do her joints physically go straight? Does she look timid and terrified?

Does she have hyperextended knees? Sometimes it's much harder for those girls to lock out, or to really know where "locked out" is. If she is hyperextended, this might help: On the floor, have her hit what she thinks is a locked out lib, then have her work to engage the quadraceps on the standing leg, pulling up through the front of the thigh and into her hip. See if she can feel the difference, and have he apply it in the air.

The best thing for all stunts is show n go drills. From two foot to single leg to baskets, going up and coming right back down is a miracle worker for training technique.
You can watch flyers lock out. You can see timing. You can see grips. You can see dips. Everything can be diagnosed quickly and safely with show n gos. No need to stick the stunt at the top and watch them struggle. No need for the flyer to be timid bc she is only in the air for a second.

It's a miracle worker for training stunts safely. Start warming up all your stunts with a show n go and watch how much they improve in a short amount of time.

I have some drills for improving single legs stunts that you can see at:

www.thecheerdoc.com

Let me know if I can be of help :)

Back