College Louisville Cheerleaders Subject To Drug Testing

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 24, 2011
Louisville Cardinals cheerleaders subject to drug tests - ESPN

Louisville will implement drug testing for members of its spirit teams following the overdose death of a 22-year-old cheerleader.

Spirit squad members will be subject to the same drug testing as the rest of Louisville's athletes, a university official said Thursday, according to the Courier-Journal.

Cheerleader Danielle Cogswell died from an overdose of heroin, amphetamines and Xanax, Jefferson County Coroner Dr. Barbara Weakley-Jones told the newspaper.

"The combination was too much for her," Weakley-Jones said.

Cogswell was found July 28 in an off-campus student housing complex, according to the report.

"We have continued to provide support for our spirit team members as they have worked through their grief," Christine Simatacolos, an associate athletic director for student life at Louisville, said in a statement provided to the paper.

Louisville Cardinals cheerleaders subject to drug tests - ESPN

Louisville will implement drug testing for members of its spirit teams following the overdose death of a 22-year-old cheerleader.

Spirit squad members will be subject to the same drug testing as the rest of Louisville's athletes, a university official said Thursday, according to the Courier-Journal.

Cheerleader Danielle Cogswell died from an overdose of heroin, amphetamines and Xanax, Jefferson County Coroner Dr. Barbara Weakley-Jones told the newspaper.

"The combination was too much for her," Weakley-Jones said.

Cogswell was found July 28 in an off-campus student housing complex, according to the report.

"We have continued to provide support for our spirit team members as they have worked through their grief," Christine Simatacolos, an associate athletic director for student life at Louisville, said in a statement provided to the paper.
I seriously wonder if the testing will persist even after the story dies down... the average person has no idea that U of L has an amazing cheer program. They're all so focused on basketball and football, which is where most of the drug testing money goes (because of the attention).

Last edited:
I seriously wonder if the testing will persist even after the story died down... the average person has no idea that U of L has an amazing cheer program. They're all so focused on basketball and football, which is where most of the drug testing money goes (because of the attention).

Another article I read stated that the University will meet with spirit team members to inform them that they have access to all the same resources - I assume this means physical/medical and psychological - as all other student-athletes.
I pray for all those that knew and loved this girl. As much as I can't look at any death as a lesson, I hope her story can offer a positive outcome for someone.

Another article I read stated that the University will meet with spirit team members to inform them that they have access to all the same resources - I assume this means physical/medical and psychological - as all other student-athletes.
I pray for all those that knew and loved this girl. As much as I can't look at any death as a lesson, I hope her story can offer a positive outcome for someone.
That's wonderful that they'll finally be treated as equals! But what I meant was that, the testing might stop after the media attention to the story dies down, while continuing to test for other sports because mainstream sports are often closely watched anyway.

Last edited:
I agree- hoping testing continues. They aren't required to test in the off-season, though, right?
I mean, if an athlete goes home for summer, what happens then? Or do they not have a 3-month break?

Do the Louisville cheerleaders get tuition scholarships? I wonder what the repercussions for a positive test would be?

No, they do not have a 3 month break. They have tryouts the 2nd weekend of May and work week the 3rd week of June, then another work week the second week of August and overnight camp the end of that 2nd work week, then begin their cheer season then 3rd week of August. Their cheer season doesn't end til the 3rd week of April, right after Daytona. So it is an all year long program. In fact, they aren't released until the week before Christmas, 2 weeks after finals end and are not released for spring break nor fall break in October.
And there are not cheer scholarships, but they can receive in state tuition or academic scholarships, if they qualify for them.

That's disappointing that there aren't cheer scholarships at a school like Louisville - most of those kids are top level athletes and they deserve them. Even if a cheer competition doesn't bring in the TV revenue of the men's basketball team, it still has more spectators and fan interest than a lot of other scholarship sports, and is really hard work. I hope over time this changes. I guess the spirit programs having access to the same services as the other student-athletes is a step in the right direction. Maybe her death will wake people up to the stress these young adults are under, and make the people in charge realize that cheerleading is a sport worthy of a NCAA scholarship.

I think at Louisville they can receive in state or academic scholarships only if they qualify for them by either living in state or by getting a certain ACT/SAT score. Or by getting a great GPA. If you are a regular student but a terrific athlete wanting to go to Louisville you will be paying a hefty out of state tuition price. They do not help one bit for cheer.

That's disappointing that there aren't cheer scholarships at a school like Louisville - most of those kids are top level athletes and they deserve them. Even if a cheer competition doesn't bring in the TV revenue of the men's basketball team, it still has more spectators and fan interest than a lot of other scholarship sports, and is really hard work. I hope over time this changes. I guess the spirit programs having access to the same services as the other student-athletes is a step in the right direction. Maybe her death will wake people up to the stress these young adults are under, and make the people in charge realize that cheerleading is a sport worthy of a NCAA scholarship.
Not trying to come across harsh but NCAA Scholarship and Support will never happen for Sideline Cheer Squads. It may happen in the future for STUNT/NCATA athletes.

On the other hand though, Schools themselves could step up and support their squads. But we all know that costs money and affected the Athletic Department bottom lines so they usually could care less as long as it doesn't bring headlines like this story to their school.

article-2709169-2015D73100000578-720_634x599.jpg

screen-shot-2014-07-28-at-5-31-12-pm.png

RIP
A lot of people don't realize how addictive drugs and the ritual of taking them can be. I feel for her and her family, and like @Mamarazzi said, I hope people can learn from this.

That's wonderful that they'll finally be treated as equals! But what I meant was that, the testing might stop after the media attention to the story dies down, while continuing to test for other sports because mainstream sports are often closely watched anyway.

Down there, a lot of people are very aware of the success of the program. In almost every story about this tragedy, it was mentioned that U of L was a decorated program.

Not trying to come across harsh but NCAA Scholarship and Support will never happen for Sideline Cheer Squads. It may happen in the future for STUNT/NCATA athletes.

On the other hand though, Schools themselves could step up and support their squads. But we all know that costs money and affected the Athletic Department bottom lines so they usually could care less as long as it doesn't bring headlines like this story to their school.
The only true varsity teams in college right now are NCATA. By that I mean full athletic department staff funding, recruiting budget, athletic scholarship funding and all their support for the athletic department that other teams get.

Any other cheer teams get agreements to be treated like varsity sports. Some get all benefits, but most get some that are picked for them. A lot of them fend for themselves or with booster support because they are student programs. Alabama is a great example, they won the national championship and were not allowed to put the Crimson A on their rings because they weren't an actual sport.

Sad fact is there is no true representation to govern college cheer. I've said this a few times - all teams are one new Athletic Director, major injury, or board meeting from being dropped. HPU is a great example of that.

The only true varsity teams in college right now are NCATA. By that I mean full athletic department staff funding, recruiting budget, athletic scholarship funding and all their support for the athletic department that other teams get.

Any other cheer teams get agreements to be treated like varsity sports. Some get all benefits, but most get some that are picked for them. A lot of then fend for themselves or with booster support because they are student programs. Alabama is a great example, they won the national championship and were not allowed to put the Crimson A on their rings because they weren't an actual sport.

Sad fact is there is no true representation to govern college cheer. I've said this a few times - all teams are one new Athletic Director, major injury, or board meeting from being dropped. HPU is a great example of that.

We fell under Marketing, just like the basketball "hoop band". Marketing was under Athletics, but we were not a sports team. Even getting to be able to go to the trainer was a big deal, and it went back and forth a lot about whether or not we were allowed to use their academic advisers and study rooms.

Back