Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Emily

International Cheer Correspondent
Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Jul 10, 2010
This thread is to discuss all things about major multi-location gyms.

Here is the thread about the map.

Here is a link to the map (do NOT move locations or change anything else unless you know exactly what you're doing. And be very careful when you view the map on your mobile because it seems like it is very easy to accidentally change things there).

I admit that I was a little shocked at how many gyms some programs had. I knew that gyms opening multiple locations was a growing thing, but I didn't realize how extensive it was.

Cross-referencing the list vs the Worlds medal count revealed that EVERY US gym in the top 20 of medals had multiple facilities. (2 extremely good programs, SOT & Brandon, currently have 2 and aren't on that particular map.). You could certainly argue about the direction of cause/effect there, but the correlation is unmistakeable.

I wish there was a way to know/visualize how big all those individual gyms were. Some of the expansion gyms are relatively small, others are fairly large. Small facilities are perfectly appropriate in some markets, I would just be curious.

I also wish there was a way to know/see what business model was being used. Real life businesses don't always break down into simple categories like company-owned vs assisted franchise vs rent-a-logo, but a rough estimation would be interesting.

Do gyms find that multiple locations add to their expenses? Or do the ultimately create more revenue and therefore help other expenses at the home gym? Obviously opening a new gym is very expensive so in the beginning stages, it adds to expenses. But, overtime, are the smaller gyms "money-makers" as well as "athlete-builders?"

I am hoping to see some collaborative models start to pop up, where programs join together instead of assimilate to larger brands. I don't mind expansion and see its benefits, but also want to see some unique models as well, if that makes sense. I think Nevada/NorCal have a lot of strongly bonded programs that could start to pioneer this.

Do gyms find that multiple locations add to their expenses? Or do the ultimately create more revenue and therefore help other expenses at the home gym? Obviously opening a new gym is very expensive so in the beginning stages, it adds to expenses. But, overtime, are the smaller gyms "money-makers" as well as "athlete-builders?"

It all depends on how the other locations are set up. The model used (satellite, feeder, franchise, etc) dictates the amount of expense and revenue.

I am hoping to see some collaborative models start to pop up, where programs join together instead of assimilate to larger brands. I don't mind expansion and see its benefits, but also want to see some unique models as well, if that makes sense. I think Nevada/NorCal have a lot of strongly bonded programs that could start to pioneer this.

There are gyms that have done this. Most of it escapes the radar because they haven't been big names or higher profile type gyms. The last bigger name brands I remember doing it was Celebrity and East Elite(?) merging some years ago to become ECE. With smaller names or brands merging it still could potentially not be enough to fight off a mega brand coming into an area, which may discourage smaller gyms from taking that route.

There are gyms that have done this. Most of it escapes the radar because they haven't been big names or higher profile type gyms. The last bigger name brands I remember doing it was Celebrity and East Elite(?) merging some years ago to become ECE. With smaller names or brands merging it still could potentially not be enough to fight off a mega brand coming into an area, which may discourage smaller gyms from taking that route.
I was thinking after I posted that I was pretty sure there had been some of this in other areas. I am encouraged by ECE's success! I can see why it could not be enough, but I like the idea of some diversity, or at least not just one mega gym in the area.

I know I am totally dating myself, but when I see this map, and all the places around us that are ripe for expansion, I can only think of the old Dead Kennedy's song "California Uber Alles"... I feel like it will al be one gym with lots of feeder gyms....

I'm not sure I understand your question. Adding a facility would certainly add to your expenses. It would also add to your revenue. The hope would be that it adds more revenue than expenses and would represent a net gain.

with the gyms that have multiple locations, i have to wonder of many world medals (top 3) came out of multiple locations. Cali is the only one i can think of currently. Or heck maybe even top 5, cause i usually would say its the "main" gym that houses the most worlds winning/placing team.

CEA for example has other locations outside of Kville and raleigh, but most of the worlds contenders only come from those two gyms. Or better example FAME, i only ever hear of fame super seniors...
again i might be completely confusing myself at this point.

with the gyms that have multiple locations, i have to wonder of many world medals (top 3) came out of multiple locations. Cali is the only one i can think of currently. Or heck maybe even top 5, cause i usually would say its the "main" gym that houses the most worlds winning/placing team.

CEA for example has other locations outside of Kville and raleigh, but most of the worlds contenders only come from those two gyms. Or better example FAME, i only ever hear of fame super seniors...
Top Gun has had teams medal from different locations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

This map reinforces my issue with no big gyms in Fort Worth. Yes there are tons of small gyms but most are barely competitive. People seem to think it's just a hop down the tollway to get to a CA location, it's not. Maybe things will be better now that Spirit has split their locations.

FWIW, it is extremely difficult to get a medal. You can have a fantastic team with a great season and not get anywhere close to finals even.

Also, I think of it more as the bigger programs' OLDEST gyms are the ones getting most of the medals so far. Some programs like Cali and CEA have been doing the multi-gym thing longer than some of the rest of us. Generally, some of their expansion gyms have had time to develop/mold those athletes into Worlds contenders. It is theoretically possible to be a contender at Level 5 right off the bat - but that would take a large number of seasoned veteran athletes walking in your door day 1 (or crossing them from one of your other facilities I suppose.)

At one time, there was a thing called something like the Nor Cal Alliance, and it was a large group of gyms that banded together to benefit the sport. They would say "hey, this IEP is amazing and we want to keep them around-let's all attend this year" and provide scholarships to athletes. The thing I loved it that it allowed the gyms to maintain their individual identity and do what they wanted to do, but used each other for resources and help. I would love to see more of this, rather than every single gym become XYZ All Stars.

At one time, there was a thing called something like the Nor Cal Alliance, and it was a large group of gyms that banded together to benefit the sport. They would say "hey, this IEP is amazing and we want to keep them around-let's all attend this year" and provide scholarships to athletes. The thing I loved it that it allowed the gyms to maintain their individual identity and do what they wanted to do, but used each other for resources and help. I would love to see more of this, rather than every single gym become XYZ All Stars.

I remember that alliance. There was one briefly in North Carolina as well. With so few true IEP's now I wonder how effective it would be now. JW.

Back