All-Star Major Multi-location Gyms Discussion

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I believe there are multiple business models being used by the various gyms. Some are more along the "franchise" line where the individual gyms are owned by someone local and a fee or other arrangement is sent to the "main" gym in exchange for using the name/logo. (There may also be varying levels of advice/services being provided by the main program.). On the other end of the spectrum are gyms that are run that owned at least in part by the "main" program. There are also probably hybrids that fall somewhere in the middle.

There are pros and cons to each arrangement. I am curious to hear opinions about the two. Do you think that one style is better for the industry?

I don't feel strongly enough about this subject to have a solid opinion in any direction but what I will say is:

1.) It always seems a bit ludicrous when I see XYZ Elite North competing against XYZ Elite South in the same division. Just something that kind of never felt right for multiple reasons.

2.) If I owned a program with franchised facilities my first concern would be maintaining consistency. Because, let's face it, XYZ Elite's main location is light years beyond XYZ Elite's North East Middle-of-Nowhere Nebraska Location. No amount of advice, guest-coaching or clinics have changed that. I guess I would be concerned that new customers are approaching my brand at a secondary location and they're expecting a certain level of excellency that isn't being delivered.

Those reasons don't really have any bearing on whether or not 'Franchises' are good for the industry. Just my little two cents.

With the changes at PCM Arizona will they be taking that location to Worlds & Summit? I know they had an IOSC 5 Fascination and some summit bound teams.

Another Rockstar Location

C_V6bIzXsAA4Dxb.jpg

Another Rockstar Location

C_V6bIzXsAA4Dxb.jpg

Am I the only one who is getting concerned these gym expansions are becoming too much and almost taking away from the competitiveness across the country? How many gyms does Rockstar now have? And this isn't pin pointing them because there are other mega gyms like this. I just can't wrap my head around the need for this many gyms.

Am I the only one who is getting concerned these gym expansions are becoming too much and almost taking away from the competitiveness across the country? How many gyms does Rockstar now have? And this isn't pin pointing them because there are other mega gyms like this. I just can't wrap my head around the need for this many gyms.

I paused for a second when I saw the location. We have competed in Jacksonville quite a bit and seen a lot of gyms in that area and there are 2-3 gyms I see taking a massive hit by this potential shake-up. They will definitely find talent, but at what cost?

I believe 15 the last I counted. I find it out of control and sort of greedy. (Thats just my opinion and not meant to be rude) I understand having a couple and building them up to have the reputation that the main gym has or atleast close to the level. What fun is it looking at results and out of 20 teams 5 or 6 are from the same gym name?

I believe 15 the last I counted. I find it out of control and sort of greedy. (Thats just my opinion and not meant to be rude) I understand having a couple and building them up to have the reputation that the main gym has or atleast close to the level. What fun is it looking at results and out of 20 teams 5 or 6 are from the same gym name?

I just feel as though the needs to be a point where the line is drawn. We always say we need cheer to be recognized as a sport but how competitive can it be when a gym technically competes against themselves?

Real question here: Has anybody ever had experience competing against another team from another one of their gyms locations? Example: WC Suns/Zenith? I am curious as to how some athletes have felt/would feel to place below another locations same-level team? Does one team get more recognition and the other feels in the shadow? Or does it not really bother the athletes mentality or recognition at all? Genuine questions!

I just feel as though the needs to be a point where the line is drawn. We always say we need cheer to be recognized as a sport but how competitive can it be when a gym technically competes against themselves?

Real question here: Has anybody ever had experience competing against another team from another one of their gyms locations? Example: WC Suns/Zenith? I am curious as to how some athletes have felt/would feel to place below another locations same-level team? Does one team get more recognition and the other feels in the shadow? Or does it not really bother the athletes mentality or recognition at all? Genuine questions!

Our gym has 3 locations. We are the 2nd biggest I think. Our teams occasionally go against teams from the main gym and pretty much always lose to them. One of our teams beat them at the last comp, that was pretty cool. Like a little sister winning over a big sister... unexpected.

But most of the time they pick different comps for the different locations. I guess that would be harder to do with 15 locations. I agree it feels like it's too much.

CP's team was like this this year (tiny prep). We were forewarned it may happen but I don't feel like it lessened the sting when the other team repeatedly beat CP's. The parents definitely felt all you mentioned. CP didn't seem to mind, but she is six.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

This happens pretty regularly in other sports though. Non-CPs rec SB league has three teams in her same level and they play each other. They draft the girls after evals so they don't have a stacked team but sometimes one team just turns out better. Non-CPs team the last few seasons regularly beats the other teams in our association.
But this is rec so it has to be more fair. I know certain travel softball teams make an A, B, etc team based on how good the girls are but then they would never compete at the same tournaments. I feel that's harder to schedule in cheer though, esp if they are located in the same area..

I feel like there were at least two divisions at summit that had California Allstars teams against each other in the finals.

Also, like a previous poster mentioned, it happens in other sports too.

I want to say there was one comp I think it was last season .. our y3 was up against 3 woodlands elite teams in the same division at a fairly big comp.

We compete against woodlands a lot and they do try to do seperate comps so one comp we may go against their one j4 and the next comp against their other j4 and so on but usually in my experience one is usually better than the other for that season and I always wonder how the team that consistently places behind the other one feels. I actually feel bad for them but I assume they are happy for their gym even if it's not them.

I know it has to happen and I'm not blaming them but it still sucks.

I will say I feel like woodlands does a good job at all their locations being equally successful. I don't feel all their best teams are the main gym teams. It varies by year but they are all actually really good overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This happens pretty regularly in other sports though. Non-CPs rec SB league has three teams in her same level and they play each other. They draft the girls after evals so they don't have a stacked team but sometimes one team just turns out better. Non-CPs team the last few seasons regularly beats the other teams in our association.
But this is rec so it has to be more fair. I know certain travel softball teams make an A, B, etc team based on how good the girls are but then they would never compete at the same tournaments. I feel that's harder to schedule in cheer though, esp if they are located in the same area..

I notice you say rec. Does all of this apply to travel teams as well? Do the East Point Elephants have one tryout and produce 2 teams that play against each other in the championship? Or is it unheard of?

I know this can be done for some rec sports but what about travel/competitive sports?

I'm really curious. I'm only familiar with school track, lacrosse, cheer, and rec soccer.

I notice you say rec. Does all of this apply to travel teams as well? Do the East Point Elephants have one tryout and produce 2 teams that play against each other in the championship? Or is it unheard of?

I know this can be done for some rec sports but what about travel/competitive sports?

I'm really curious. I'm only familiar with school track, lacrosse, cheer, and rec soccer.
Travel teams from the same association would usually make different tiers of teams. All I really know is SB but generally you have A, B, and C level divisions at tournaments that the teams would compete in. They'll call them something different like Gold, Elite or Select..
And if you have teams at the same level, there are so many tournaments happening every weekend that they would not normally schedule them to compete at the same ones. However, the end of season tournaments, it is possible to have teams end up playing each other. Though when that happens, it's usually going to be two teams from the same association but different locations.

ETA: Also, even if the same association competes at the same tournament, there's still the possibility that they never even face each other depending on the schedule/bracket. During the USA Elite Championship this past summer, there was one association who had a team (who has tons of teams) in the championship game at all 4 levels (12U, 14U, 16U, and 18U). It did turn out that for one level two teams from different locations ended up facing off in the championship.

Last edited:
Back