Making It Impossible To Max Out

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

King

Is all about that bass
Staff member
FBOD:LLFB
Dec 4, 2009
An idea I was playing with in my head. What if on the score sheet all skill categories were weighted the same, but to max out each in difficulty you had to perform at least (the number is arbitrary and used for example only) 10 Eight counts of each.

Then no one could max out BUT would have to choose how best to score and what to do in the routine to max out.

Impossible to max out every section so you focus only on the parts you can? So if my team is a tumbling team we might max out on standing and running and possibly jumps and dance maybe half max on tosses. Any stunts needed at all?

Wouldn't that be really difficult to judge? (I'm not a judge and am in complete awe of judges who are able to count number of tumbling skills performed all at once, etc, so maybe I just don't understand the specifics of how it would be done.) But how would you judge eight counts of, say, tosses, or pyramids? Do you count the transitions to the skill, load in, cradle, hold, etc? All of it? What if to "max out" the skill those transitions/holds/etc were held for an extended period? What if you have different things going on at the same time? How would you count that? Would, then, a team conceivably be able to max out totally if parts of the team did different things at the same time? Would judges have to count it, say, as half an eight count if only half of the team performed the eight count of the skill at the same time?

I think it is an interesting idea, and would likely result in additional creativity (and routines looking less "compulsory" than they do now, because, let's face it - although there is creativity in skills performed, almost everyone's routines have the running tumbling/stunt/pyramid/dance sections in nearly the same place/time) I'm not sure how it would be implemented. I'm definitely no expert, however. I'm interested in your take on it.

There would clearly be details to work out in producing this score sheet and in judging as SarahS just stated, but I would wonder if someone would figure that that can win with very little of one aspect of their routine (stunting difficulty for example)because they know they can blow everyone out of the water with tumbling or some other aspect.

Or more of a scary point would be most teams having rediculous and potentially dangerous pyramids to make up for a lack of tumbling.

I think Jamfest scoresheet is IMPOSSIBLE to max out. They are asking for SOOOO much!

Then you have to put energy into only certain things. Makes coaching more like a chess match.

New concept of thinking. Donuts possible to max out in one but not all of them, yes?

Yes. I believe pyramid and dance is the hardest to max out.

It's hard w/ the time limitations and I do agree that routines are starting to look almost compuslory b/c EVERYTHING seems to always be in the same order.... but at the same time, this allows teams to try and play on their skill set to MAXIMIZE what they do have...

Although I must laugh @ the 200 BPM music comment, LOL

An idea I was playing with in my head. What if on the score sheet all skill categories were weighted the same, but to max out each in difficulty you had to perform at least (the number is arbitrary and used for example only) 10 Eight counts of each.

Then no one could max out BUT would have to choose how best to score and what to do in the routine to max out.

My first thought was "10 eights of jumps?!?" My concern about this would be how you measure difficulty within it. What if 2 teams have 10 eights of pyramid but one pyramid has more structures, transitions, and move faster? How would this be taken into account?

The real idea is that you shouldn't be able to max out everything. We are so used to being able to the idea of not having a routine that can fully max our every component is probably very foreign.

The real idea is that you shouldn't be able to max out everything. We are so used to being able to the idea of not having a routine that can fully max our every component is probably very foreign.

True. Under this sytem, the teams that would place well would be the ones that max out "their categories" the best, correct? Since you couldn't max out on everything, then you would just max out on the things you're best at, correct? Makes me wonder if it would create teams/programs that are less centered around tumbling? Or maybe make it easier on newer teams/programs that are weaker in one category over another.

Back