All-Star Male Flyer... Help!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 1, 2010
So I know boy flyers are kinda a taboo, but hear me out!
I flew for forever when I was younger, and I've always been born to be in the air. But in the 6th grade I broke my arm and moved while it was healing. Alas, I've been a backspot ever since.
It's honestly not enough anymore. Flying is -for whatever reason- *everything* to me.

I'm tall, but I'm about as skinny as they get, and I stay super tight when I fly. My issue is that:
A- I'm a level 5 tumbler, but I haven't worked level 5 stunt mounts in forever (tic tocks DX)
and
2- No gym will let me try.

I'm not asking to be given special treatment. All I want is an equal opportunity. Work with me when you work with the female flyers. If I can't hit then I don't *want* the stunt, but I don't feel like asking for a chance (even just a 2 hour practice or something) to prove myself is that big of a deal.
Apparently everyone else disagrees...

Any tips on getting back up in the air?

maybe if your gym offers open gym, get a group at least willing to help you out, work on your skills. and then at the next practice talk to your coach and say "oh i was working with so and so during open gym and was able to hit xyz, could i show it to you?" hope this helps a little! :)

I can't remember what team it was today, but I swear I saw a guy on Lvl 5 do a hitch kick double at Jamfest today! Find those videos..I know there are some out there.

I know I've seen one of the younger coed guys on CEA fly before..not sure if he does in competitions or not, but pretty sure he did at showcase.

I can't remember what team it was today, but I swear I saw a guy on Lvl 5 do a hitch kick double at Jamfest today! Find those videos..I know there are some out there.
I feel like I saw Indiana Elite do one? Maybe not though...

Back on topic, I think what cheerbear was saying could work if your friends with some good, trustworthy level 5 bases and backspots. I'm a girl, but I really want to fly too, but I think I would get laughed at, considering I'm one of the tallest girls on my team, and 90% of the bases are smaller than me.

I don't think onetrupairing is talking about baskets here. I think he wants to partner stunt, which is a completely different story.

Not partner stunt, we're small limited. I'm shooting for the elite stunt sequences we do.

Yeah, baskets aren't the problem

Most gyms are not going to let a boy fly in the elite sequence. A basket or in a prep in the pryamid maybe, but flying in an actual stunt sequence is probably not going to happen if your gym does not want a boy in the air. I know you have the flexibility, a lot of boys have better flexibility then girls, but it is kind of taboo for a boy to be a flyer. I say if the gym says no that you stick to being a base or backspot and try for a spot in the basket section. I have a strong feeling your gym isn't going to give in.

Most gyms are not going to let a boy fly in the elite sequence. A basket or in a prep in the pryamid maybe, but flying in an actual stunt sequence is probably not going to happen if your gym does not want a boy in the air. I know you have the flexibility, a lot of boys have better flexibility then girls, but it is kind of taboo for a boy to be a flyer. I say if the gym says no that you stick to being a base or backspot and try for a spot in the basket section. I have a strong feeling your gym isn't going to give in.

Im willing to go anywhere to do it, no matter how far.

Back