All-Star "males - Minimize Exaggerated Or Theatrical Movements"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Cheerleading is a sport that embraces performance, or at least it used to be. The statement in the title of my thread really offends me. I may be standing lone on that - and thats okay. I feel this is a sugar-coated way to say "We don't want the guys to look gay! We want a better imagine of heterosexuality to promote to get more boys in the sport!" While I don't like things like guys flying elite stunt sequences to bow and arrows - or crazy hair flips - That doesn't mean someone can have over exaggerated facials or performance or to quite frankly - be themselves. This is an equal opportunity sport and I have seen a TON personal development from A LOT of people in the sport. I have seen homophobic heterosexual males embrace the values of change and equal opportunities for all.

Long story short - I have contacted GLAAD and ACLU to seek more advice from them and find out what their stance is on this issue is. I would appreciate ALL feedback from others so I can go into open conversation with them and maybe be introduced to ideas or arguments that I am not seeing due to my own opinions. Please share your thoughts and I will continue to update this thread and I hear back from them and let you know what these organizations thoughts and opinions are on the issue.

Am I being defensive and reading to much into this? Or is this really a discrimination issue targeted at males in our industry?
One point I'd like to add is that cheerleading is unique. Cheerleading allows gay/straight boys to compete together and support one another and become friends. Ex. Baseball- gay boy might feel ashamed, Ballet-straight boy might feel embarrassed, cheerleading- gay boy gets to be himself with no judgement and straight boy gets to be around pretty girls. I am straight and have been in cheerleading for 15+ years and I'll admit I started a bit timid but now most of my best friends are gay and wouldn't trade em for the world. Cheerleading teaches kids these things, why is this bad?

I think this is a sad example of bullying to a specific group of athletes because of their genetic makeup.
(yes, I said makeup do not deduct me for that)

In a time that we have faced so much loss due to bullying, I am just deeply disturbed by this.

my thoughts exactly. we have all rallied together this season over the deaths of two cheer athletes and it's absolutely dumbfounding that the usasf would make such a decision after such tragedies that were so involved in our sport.

it would also be nice to have a better explanation of what exactly "theatrical" means. is a fist pump after a pass proper "etiquette" because it is deemed more masculine? are hands on the hips after you land a pass a no-no? what's next...banning two boys basing together?

Thanks UltimateRudags

I was hoping someone would create a separate thread for this issue. After taking several gender studies classes, I have found this new rule disturbing.

Reminds me of a small article/ story I had to read last semester entitled "The story of X”. It shows how gender is learned among X’s classmates by having a test subject, baby X, unexposed to gender influences and then comparing the two. When baby X’s parents don’t gender base a certain set of rules, toys, clothes, and activities, baby X ends up liking both male and female hobbies. This just goes to show that a lot of what we enjoy as individuals is actually a role forced upon us by society and our parents that we grew up conforming to (unless you were raised like baby X).

http://www3.delta.edu/cmurbano/bio199/AIDS_Sexuality/BabyX.pdf

I have my opinion on every single rule and guideline published by USASF yesterday, regardless of how I feel about them I can see the pros and cons to each. However this is the one "guideline" that I can't even consider debatable. It was wrong - in so many ways. I honestly don't understand what they were trying to allude to. If USASF has an issue with "exaggerated or theatrical movements", then make it universal to all athletes on the mat.

I have my opinion on every single rule and guideline published by USASF yesterday, regardless of how I feel about them I can see the pros and cons to each. However this is the one "guideline" that I can't even consider debatable. It was wrong - in so many ways. I honestly don't understand what they were trying to allude to. If USASF has an issue with "exaggerated or theatrical movements", then make it universal to all athletes on the mat.

Valid point. Males should not have been singled out. It wouldn't have been AS BIG of an issue with it if it said "Male and females movements should not be over-exaggerated or theatrical.

Ok honestley I've never been at a competition and said "wow that boy is too gay" and I watched a boy pull a tn pumas and point jump a triple toe tuck to a split and then vogue for the whole dance section then do the craziest shablam I have ever scene..it's all about performing and if that's who he is that's fine. I applaud because you worked it out and gave it everything you had

ACLU just got back to me. I have scanned and faxed a copy of the statements dropped by the USASF and they are further looking into the issues. I hope to hear back from GLAAD later today.

I am so glad people are sharing the same opinions as me. I am actually curious to hear what someone ALL FOR this rule thinks? If your worried about being tore apart on the boards for believing different - Please PM me your response. I would love to hear an argument that is for this.

I just want to say that I think it is amazing that you are taking the initiative and getting these people involved. Major kudos to you for not letting it slide by unchallenged. You are an inspiration to us all.

Ok honestley I've never been at a competition and said "wow that boy is too gay"

I think I am simply used to my brother who is the straightest gay man I know. Video games, gym, food. Those are his three loves. He called me sweetheart once and it threw us both off because he just doesn't say those kind of things. So when I see a SUPER "theatrical" boy on the floor, I think "Supeerrrr gay." And then just giggle because I love it; that is his shining moment. How can anyone be too gay? They are who they are.

Back