All-Star Maryland--over Saturated With All Star Gyms?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 9, 2010
So there has been some new information emerging about mergers/openings in Maryland:

Maryland Twisters are opening a gym in Baltimore.
Maryland Twisters have taken over Maryland Superstarz in Waldorf.
East Coast Nitros might be taking over a gym in Westminster.
Vipers Cheer & Dance have taken over a gym on the Eastern Shore.
Vipers Cheer & Dance are opening a gym in Bethesda.

For those of you outside of Maryland, let me just give you a little glimpse into how saturated this state is with gyms. For these gyms alone:

Twisters' Baltimore location will be located 30 minutes from Vipers Baltimore location.
Twisters' original location is located about 40 minutes from Vipers Baltimore location and 50 minutes from Vipers Bethesda location.
Westminster (ECN) is about an hour from Joppa (Vipers Baltimore location)
Westminster (ECN) is about 40-50 minutes from Glen Burnie (Twisters)
Marlins are located about 40 minutes from Joppa and 15 minutes from Glen Burnie (Twisters original location)

So basically, there are going to be four large teams within an hour of each other in all directions. Discuss!

What gym is vipers taking over on the Eastern shore?
Island Elite All Stars

EDIT to include the fact that I haven't been able to find anything on this organization. They no longer have a website and there are essentially no videos. So, I have no idea what type of talent Vipers will potentially have at this location for the upcoming season.

south central PA is just as bad...at one point during my senior year, i lived within an hour and 15 minutes of 16 programs.......all but maybe two of them had less than 100 athletes.

not to mention i was only like an hour and a half-two hours-ish from glen burnie.

Oh and let me add that Vipers have two locations in Northern Virginia too that are within an hour of some parts of Maryland.

someone correct me if i'm wrong but i think it's similar in texas as well so i don't think it's that uncommon. as for the 4 large teams, what division are you talking about? most of these gyms have not had tryouts yet so we really can't say who is staying in what divisions until after.

someone correct me if i'm wrong but i think it's similar in texas as well so i don't think it's that uncommon. as for the 4 large teams, what division are you talking about? most of these gyms have not had tryouts yet so we really can't say who is staying in what divisions until after.

I meant four large gyms, not individual teams.

I meant four large gyms, not individual teams.
Just because the program all together may have a lot of athletes, I don't think a lot of these individual locations will have that many athletes.

I think Twisters had over 500 athletes this past season before the mergers. I don't think any of the other programs had more than 200 in any single location.

i'm not privy to any information on Vipers' acquisition, so that will probably always be confusing to me.

but i think the Twisters expansion has been great. there are not enough options in southern maryland for the amount of talent within that region, and there is a large amount of Twister athletes from the southern maryland/northern va area that make the trek all the way to GB. while i consider the GB and Baltimore gym to be in close proximity, i understand that the additional location is a great addition for the I-83 and 695 corridors and will help service athletes from PA, DE and western MD. Gas prices are too high for 2-hour gym commutes and the GB gym can only house so many teams.

I personally love the fact that gyms in Maryland are expanding and thinking on a national scale.

Um...come to the Metro Atlanta area HAHAHA!! Talk about a LOT of gyms!
And New Jersey. South Jersey Storm is probably the biggest gym in the south of jersey and then star athletics or cc champs would be the furthest north with a worlds team.

Storm to Star Athletics is less than 100 miles/2hours
Storm to CC Champs is 115 miles/ just over 2 hours

In between there is - NJSE, Hamilton starz, jersey allstars, world cup, comet allstars, cja, evolution, nj heat, liberty, just cheer.

I would say all of them have at least 100 kids in their organization and world cup is over 500.

Latest posts

Back