All-Star Maryland State Championship Jan 22

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Not a fan of MD State. It was a disaster. Great talent though. Unique, Heat, Twisters, Spirit Force, and other great MD teams had amazing routines. What I don't understand about MD State and maybe some other regional competitions, is how they allow the crossing over. I understand crossing over from level to level, but to have level five athletes cross over to level 1 and 2 is not ok. There has been a lot of cheer chatter about this and hope they implement cross over rules that create true competition among true level teams. There has to be trust in your athletes at thier skilled level.

Most EPs allow crossovers based on USASF rules:

CROSSOVERS
An individual will not be permitted to crossover from one program to another within the same event (Exception: An athlete from one
gym may crossover to one additional gym’s Level 6 team provided (s)he meets the age requirement.
For the 2011-12 season, an all-star cheerleader is limited to crossing over to 2 (two) additional cheer teams from their gym per
competition. Therefore, an athlete may compete on one team and crossover to two more teams from the same gym during the
competition.
An event producer may choose to be more restrictive than the rules above for crossovers limiting the number of teams an athlete may
crossover to further; however an event producer may not be less restrictive than this.
Crossover limitations above do not include athletes that crossover from cheer to dance.

The only exception I am aware of is NCA nationals. So until USASF changes the rules, the EPs will probably continue to allow virtually unlimited crossovers, its more money in their pockets.

Amen....... It was amazing to see some kids on lower level teams (1 and 2) and then see those same kids on higher (4 and 5) teams.. It was at an alltime high yesterday though.... I was happy to see the girl on Md Marlins Riptide be able to come back out and finish their performance... Hope shes truly ok... :)

Not a fan of MD State. It was a disaster. Great talent though. Unique, Heat, Twisters, Spirit Force, and other great MD teams had amazing routines. What I don't understand about MD State and maybe some other regional competitions, is how they allow the crossing over. I understand crossing over from level to level, but to have level five athletes cross over to level 1 and 2 is not ok. There has been a lot of cheer chatter about this and hope they implement cross over rules that create true competition among true level teams. There has to be trust in your athletes at thier skilled level.

Most EPs allow crossovers based on USASF rules:

CROSSOVERS

An individual will not be permitted to crossover from one program to another within the same event

The only exception I am aware of is NCA nationals. So until USASF changes the rules, the EPs will probably continue to allow virtually unlimited crossovers, its more money in their pockets.[/quote

This was also something observed yesterday..

I've attended Maryland States for the past 4 years and this by far was the worst set up I've every experienced. Coastal Corporation did a horrible job of organizing this event at the Convention Center; what happened to the banners and the jackets should have been more unisex...

Wow, if that is true then it really should be brought to the EPs attention and maybe the USASF. I don't like all the rules, but they absolutely need to be followed.

Cheerlegal said:
Amen....... It was amazing to see some kids on lower level teams (1 and 2) and then see those same kids on higher (4 and 5) teams.. It was at an alltime high yesterday though.... I was happy to see the girl on Md Marlins Riptide be able to come back out and finish their performance... Hope shes truly ok... :)

Thank you for your concern. As far as I know she is fine. She performed with them the second time and went full out on tumbling and stunting so unless something has changed that I am not aware of she is ok.

I agree definitely the most unorganized comp ever. I also didnt agree with the way they chose best program I honestly think it should have went to crimson heat since they won all but one of their divisions. The way it is set up now it would be impossible for anyone to ever beat twisters. Anyway I thought a lot of the programs looked great especially crimson heat, twisters, and spirit force.

I couldnt tell if it was the same the girl that went back out when they performed again.... Glad to hear that...

Thank you for your concern. As far as I know she is fine. She performed with them the second time and went full out on tumbling and stunting so unless something has changed that I am not aware of she is ok.

I agree definitely the most unorganized comp ever. I also didnt agree with the way they chose best program I honestly think it should have went to crimson heat since they won all but one of their divisions. The way it is set up now it would be impossible for anyone to ever beat twisters. Anyway I thought a lot of the programs looked great especially crimson heat, twisters, and spirit force.

There were so many programs there this year and def some note worthy standouts. Spirit Force.....as always, looked phenomenal. But there was a level 4 team, I think Unique was their name and WOW!!!! The looked AMAZING! X'quizite Allstars shocked everyone in the arena. I had no idea the level of talent those kids have. There is seriously some massive talent within this great state of ours =)

Crimson Heat looked phenomenal as ever. I always enjoy watching them, though I could do without the band after a long day! The announcer said the best program was determined by the top 3 scores of the gyms. Quick calculation had top 3 twisters at 279.86 and heat at 274.96. It seems like for everything they did wrong, the EP was at least trying to take the partiality out of determining top program.

Crimson Heat looked phenomenal as ever. I always enjoy watching them, though I could do without the band after a long day! The announcer said the best program was determined by the top 3 scores of the gyms. Quick calculation had top 3 twisters at 279.86 and heat at 274.96. It seems like for everything they did wrong, the EP was at least trying to take the partiality out of determining top program.

I can definitely understand that, it was without a doubt a LONG day LOL, but it's all for the kids =) Our kids LOVE those drums and our "Fire Marshall", so we make sure to keep the energy up and play, sing, chant and scream for everybody (which is hard to do when the comp is nearly 2 hours behind schedule).

^^^^^^two hours behind schedule!!!!!!! Bless your hearts. That is actually one of the things that has always impressed me most about comps - how they stay so amazingly ON schedule. In our four years I can think of only one comp that was running more than 15 minutes late and if I remember correctly, there had been an injury that delayed things. I don't know how the EP's do it, but most comps we've been to run almost to the minute. Pretty impressive.

I get it but I just think when u have 4 lvl 5 teams that is not true reflection of how ur program did. We already knew they were the best lvl 5 program but best overall program was a bit of a stretch. No disrespect to twisters I am a huge fan but I think so of the other gyms get discouraged bcuz they know it would be virtually impossible for them to win best program unless they compete 3 lvl 5 teams. A more fair way to determine best prog. Add scores from all teams in the prog divide by total number of teams. That will give u a true prog avg. I took the liberty and it came out: heat-88.264, twisters-87.494, spirit force-86.944.

Marlins bought 3 level 5 teams and wasnt in the running for program champs......

I get it but I just think when u have 4 lvl 5 teams that is not true reflection of how ur program did. We already knew they were the best lvl 5 program but best overall program was a bit of a stretch. No disrespect to twisters I am a huge fan but I think so of the other gyms get discouraged bcuz they know it would be virtually impossible for them to win best program unless they compete 3 lvl 5 teams. A more fair way to determine best prog. Add scores from all teams in the prog divide by total number of teams. That will give u a true prog avg. I took the liberty and it came out: heat-88.264, twisters-87.494, spirit force-86.944.

Both programs had great routines overall but I disagree with your analogy in determining whose best. You can't determine the best when one gym uses athletes of a higher level on lower level teams vs another gym whose athletes compete at their level. In addition, @ cheerlegal gave a great example of another gym that had 3 gyms competing in level 5 that wasn't even in the running.

Back