All-Star Masculine Male?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 1, 2010
" I suggest that you listen to the NACCC meeting that had MANY people talk of bringing the Masculine Male back to the sport."

Why does masculinity play any role whatsoever? How a boy acts on the floor should play *no* role in how they are perceived. Skill and presence are one thing. But why does it matter if a boy acts feminine? Why does it matter if a boy acts masculine? Why is this even a discussion at a NACCC conference?

Thoughts?

Not really sure why you made a whole new thread on this, but I think at the NACCC meeting they were talking about coed stunting like unassisted stunts and what not.

Sure. This sport does better the more types of males that are involved. While there has been a great place for a less masculine male (that is typically the jumper/dancer/tumbler) to find acceptance, it has distanced and ostracized the more muscular football player type of boy (that is typically a a stunter).

No one wants to get 'rid' of anyone, they want to bring the other type back. No getting your panties in a bunch.

I'm pretty sure when a male dancer performs a piece of ballet, they do the dance as it was meant to be. If you have ever watched So You Think You Can Dance, the executive producer, and judge, Nigel, always speaks in regards to the masculinity a male dancer exudes when performing. The same should be true of cheerleading. Performing a set of skills is completing different than portraying masculinity.

I'm pretty sure when a male dancer performs a piece of ballet, they do the dance as it was meant to be. If you have ever watched So You Think You Can Dance, the executive producer, and judge, Nigel, always speaks in regards to the masculinity a male dancer exudes when performing. The same should be true of cheerleading. Performing a set of skills is completing different than portraying masculinity.

True, but it is no secret the amount of 'stunter' boys in this sport has diminished.

Obviously there are exceptions to every rule, so these descriptions have leeway.

True, but it is no secret the amount of 'stunter' boys in this sport has diminished.

Obviously there are exceptions to every rule, so these descriptions have leeway.
I definitely agree with the lack of "stunter" boys. The analogy was supposed to show how even the less masculine "tumbler, jumper, and dancer" boys can still portray masculinity without a reduction in their skills or their performance.

I think what they were meaning is the sport has gotten to be so flashy with everything it is scaring the big football player types of guys away from the sport. They need to make the routines fit all types of guys. Adding in the unassisted stunting is a way to help bring those big guys into the sport while still giving the smaller guys a place for tumbling, jumping, and even dancing.

In the other thread it was said to check out the NACCC meeting because you were talking about being a male flyer on a worlds team. From the discussion from the NACCC it seems as though they have no plan to step towards male flyers but intead to bring in more masculinity and a male flyer does not help what they are going for.

Jamie Parrish's argument for this was great I suggest listening/watching it to help give you an idea of what they meant by adding masculinity to the sport.

Sure. This sport does better the more types of males that are involved. While there has been a great place for a less masculine male (that is typically the jumper/dancer/tumbler) to find acceptance, it has distanced and ostracized the more muscular football player type of boy (that is typically a a stunter).

No one wants to get 'rid' of anyone, they want to bring the other type back. No getting your panties in a bunch.

I'd beg to differ on the latter of your statement. The signs of trying to "remove" the type in question has been evident over the past few years by many industry leaders, pioneers and up and comings all who definitely would like to see more male athletes of all types in the sport but not at the expense of another.

I definitely agree with the lack of "stunter" boys. The analogy was supposed to show how even the less masculine "tumbler, jumper, and dancer" boys can still portray masculinity without a reduction in their skills or their performance.

I do agree. Though I don't think those that show masculinity in tumbling, dancing, or jumping has been as celebrated as those who have a little bit more flash.

I'd beg to differ on the latter of your statement. The signs of trying to "remove" the type in question has been evident over the past few years by many industry leaders, pioneers and up and comings all who definitely would like to see more male athletes of all types in the sport but not at the expense of another.

Well, if stunting is worth a lot more ONLY if you can hold your own stunts, then I guess you could say that of the 24 possible tumbling males on a team, now 12 of those spots might go to the stronger stunter boy (adjust to new team sizes and ratios).

but it is not as if there is a plethora of boys in this industry. opening up a whole other segment to come join is not a bad thing.

I see the more current changes in World's Intl scoresheets as an attack on tumblers and a result of some of the higher up's being out of touch with their own industry rather than an attack on femininity but then again it could be a two birds one stone deal. Going back further than that look at the restrictions in tumbling, baskets, downplay of motions and choreography and the "girl's dance" at NCA College Nationals over the past few years. Some could say we have a delusional conspiracy theory but at the end of the day efforts are in motion, people are talking and no one is denying.

I don't understand why we have to not lets guys fly (etc) and bend over backwards to try to "increase" the masculine male population in cheerleading. If they are "scared" away, they're not going to change their minds now. Why do we have to try to enhance the masculine male appearance on the floor? Yes, they can do stunts, but these more feminine guys can stunt, tumble, jump, AND dance. (not saying a masculine guy always can't) But it's not fair to the other guys that they can't do certain things just for the industry to attempt to increase the football players just so they can take a knee during the dance.

My daughter and I just had this discussion. When she was on a junior team many years ago, senior coed had the big guys and we both miss seeing them. I do enjoy the coed teams now - the guys can really tumble, but it doesn't compare to seeing those massive bodies just doing a standing back tuck. And the guys at her gym did not take a knee during the dance. They were just as fierce as the boys today!

Back