All-Star Maxing Out In Level 2

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 14, 2010
We are going to a Jamfest nationals with our youth level 2 team. Our stunt is pretty hard already, its 5 singled based (18 kids) stunts with 5 body positions. They move formations in them and cradle. We do half up to extension, cradle, barrel roll later on. My question is, do we really need an inversion in our stunt to max out? And if so, any idea how to do this into a single base? Could the flier do a frontwalkover and then give her second foot to her base? Does that count?

I'd say, why not? They seem to be pretty strong at stunting, and level 2 inversions are not very difficult... front walkover in would definitely count!:) Good Luck!

Instead of doing an inverted position to single base, you could always do a fronthandspring up to the enxtension portion : handspring up to sponge,have the backspot switch around to the "front" while bases switch hands and flyer holds herself and then half turn to extension. Otherwise you'd need a hoss little base and back to go up to single base from an inverted floor position.It might work by having the flyer do a handstand with the backspot on one side and the base on the other side catching when the flyer hits her handstand, with the base sliding her hand to the foot and the lower back while the backspot scoops up the shoulders and upper back on the other side.....with a big dip and using their legs the base's hand on the back can slide back down and catch the rest of the foot and the backspot can slide to grab the ankle/thigh. No promises that it would work but its something to play around with as they sound like great youth bases.
I'm not sure whether they'd count a frontwalkover with the base catching one foot and then going up as transitional tumbling or an actual inverted position up to a stunt, though depending on the judges and how the skill is preformed they may count it.

thanks so much for the input all! we'll probably add one in before our halfups where the bases "guide" the tops out of their front walkover and then immediately dip and go into it. believe it or not, inversions are hard for our little ones! i wish going from a cradle to a back walkover was legal and counted as an inversion.

You have very similar stunting to my youth level 2..

We do 3 unassisted stunts in the opening..
4 extensions (2 single based with sidespot and all-girl groups.. the 2 all girl groups do and inversion in to a sponge then up to extension)
5 two-man stunts w/ 6 positions plus traveling and all 5 end in barrel rolls

and on the jamfest scoresheet this past weekend we competely maxed out (with only 2 inversions)

You have very similar stunting to my youth level 2..

We do 3 unassisted stunts in the opening..
4 extensions (2 single based with sidespot and all-girl groups.. the 2 all girl groups do and inversion in to a sponge then up to extension)
5 two-man stunts w/ 6 positions plus traveling and all 5 end in barrel rolls

and on the jamfest scoresheet this past weekend we competely maxed out (with only 2 inversions)

Good to hear. Thanks for sharing. Are you guys going to Kansas city in February for that jamfest?

on my level 2 we do:

2 man express ups to heel stretch, bow and arrow, let go, scorpion, carigan.

and then twist up stretch, lib, tik tok stretch, pop up scorpion,

you could always do a fronthandspring up to the enxtension portion : handspring up to sponge,have the backspot switch around to the "front" while bases switch hands and flyer holds herself and then half turn to extension.

I dont suppose you have any vids of this to hand?
I cant quite get my head round how this works (im probably being a bit slow here haha). The handspring bit is the bit that is confusing me?

Thanks very much.

So everyone is saying you need an inversion to max out?
On the jamfest scoring, it lists skills you need to max out. So ticks and 2 man stunts don't really apply until you get all of your elements in. It took us 2 different sequences to fit it in.

on my level 2 we do:

2 man express ups to heel stretch, bow and arrow, let go, scorpion, carigan.

and then twist up stretch, lib, tik tok stretch, pop up scorpion,

dumb question here sorry...what is a carigan?

I went to a jambrands competition this weekend. My level 2 has extremley hard stunting, I would say the best in their division. They ending up taking 4th because we have no inversions Our routines are built for varsity where difficulty is very important so it just didnt add up. I would suggest putting one in because apparently you can have the hardest and best stunt in the world but without an inversion of some kind you wont max out the sheet.

I went to a jambrands competition this weekend. My level 2 has extremley hard stunting, I would say the best in their division. They ending up taking 4th because we have no inversions Our routines are built for varsity where difficulty is very important so it just didnt add up. I would suggest putting one in because apparently you can have the hardest and best stunt in the world but without an inversion of some kind you wont max out the sheet.
thats what I was afraid of. I think thats silly actually. IMO its too many elements to put into one sequence. And it should be the coaches discretion whether or not to put some of those things in. For instance... I LOTHE barrel rolls. In Level 2 stunts we need:
1/2 twisting mount or transitiion
straight cradle from a 1-legged prep level stunt
inversion into a stunt
log/barrel roll
other level appropriate creative or unique load in, dismount or transition
plus multiple body positions

I think you may have been mis-informed...On the Jambrands score sheet, it matters:
1. How many body positions you have (difficulty)
2. How MANY load-in and/or dismounts you have (Load-in/dismount score)
3. How many actual stunts you put in the air at one time (quantity score)
4. How well you execute your stunts. (technique score)

Whether you do an inversion as part of your load-ins or dismounts is up to you. There isn't any place on the Jambrands scoring sheet that states that you NEED an inversion. The number of load-ins and dismounts you have in your sequence will determine your LD score. Hope this helps!! :)

Back