All-Star Maxing Out Level 1?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Cheer Factory Small Junior 1 was incredible at the summit. So clean, really innovative. I also loved the Cheer Athletics Junior 1 routine that I saw at the summit. I think they were the Bearcats but I might be wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheer Factory Small Junior 1 was incredible at the summit. So clean, really innovative. I also loved the Cheer Athletics Junior 1 routine that I saw at the summit. I think they were the Bearcats but I might be wrong!

Yes, I love Bearcats! Also KittyKatz (Y1) are amazing, 3 time Summit champs!

My CP team finished 5th at the Summit and NCA last year
Junior 1, and had a max difficulty routine, but in level 1 execution is just as important as difficulty:
Here are the basics: Pyramid needs at least 3 braced extentsions.
Both stunting and pyramid need quarter turns. 80% Standing back walkovers. Lib is not considered a body position.
One legged stunts positions such as scorpion or heel stretch require a brace.
Make sure you have enough "quads" to get elite stunt credit.
Running Tumbling: Have as many cartwheel-front walkover-back walkover switch leg as possible done in sequence and groups of 2 or 3
A series of 3 jumps followed by a single jump somewhere else in the routine is max difficulty.

Last edited:
My CP team finished 5th at the Summit and NCA last year in Large
Junior 1, and had a max difficulty routine, but in level 1 execution is just as important as difficulty:
Here are the basics: Pyramid needs at least 3 braced extentsions.
Both stunting and pyramid need quarter turns. 80% Standing backwalkovers. Lib is not considered a body position.
Make sure you have enough "quads" to get elite stunt credit.
Running Tumbling: Have as many cartwheel-front walkover-back walkover switch leg as possible done in sequence and groups of 2 or 3
A series of 3 jumps followed by a single jump somewhere else in the routine is max difficulty.

Here is day one of the Summit for my CP's team:

ACE Cheerleading - Premier [2016 L1 Large Junior Day 1] | Varsity.tv

My small junior 1's pyramid last scored very well at the summit, and we didn't have three braced pyramid extensions. You're right in that you need structures to max out (in addition to transitions), but three extensions is definitely not a requirement to max out.

Your CP's team is very talented, I see why they placed well.

Stars Vipers youth 1 had the highest NCA level 1 score overall but

On day 2 they had a 2 point legality- they still won y1 because they were way ahead even with 2 points on day 2 but it took them out of high point ;(

The routine is awesome!!

On day 1 of summit they were also in first by quite a bit but they struggled to hold on to the lead for day 2.

So maybe you can find a video of them on the varsity website!

My personal opinion that sets them apart is cleanliness .. But I'm sure they had a pretty difficult routine to win NCA with a 2 point deduction!

[2016 L1 Large Junior Day 1] | Varsity.tv[/url]

You can do body positions at squish without a brace. They require a brace at prep level. Our level 1s do 2 man stunts that pull body positions at squish while moving, and those seem to score pretty well.

you are correct except it is at smoosh...

You can do body positions at squish without a brace. They require a brace at prep level. Our level 1s do 2 man stunts that pull body positions at squish while moving, and those seem to score pretty well.

I am a current coach of Youth 1 and have experience with junior and mini 1's as well. This is what I would suggest for scoring high although only if you are able to execute perfect technique. Level 1 is super saturated with talent so the technique usually becomes the separation between 1st and lower placement -

majority sync'd double bwo (standing tumbling credit)
jump to tumble that includes a walk-over (ex: jump, fwo, bwo or jump fwo)
majority sync'd fwo cart bwo (running tumbling credit)
**for tumbling passes, group up 2-5 kids and come up with something that has at least 4 skills with bwo and fwo included. Change directions mid-pass (front corner to the center, 1/4 turn and tumble to other front corner, etc) for extra creativity.

I prefer to avoid one-mans because I find them to be a waste of valuable 8-cts. You can do harder and more creative stunts with 2 bases. However if you have the time, add in a 1-man sequence with excellent body positions but also that moves (bases walk).

Two-man stunts: body position to body position tick-tocks, switch-ups and ball ups. All with unique base positions (not just kneeling, standing, or nugget the entire time). Add in 1/4 turn once technique is excellent. Back walkover dismount

Group stunts: Unique ways to 1/4 up to prep (not just load to prep - ex: think how can I creatively get into a teddy bear and then 1/4 up to prep from there). Prep level tick-tocks with bracer. Braced inversion in to a stunt such handstand to straddle, touch the feet to ground (hands still on the ground) and lift up to teddy bear.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more suggestions. I've got a big list of "goal" skills that I created from watching Summit and NCA videos that want my Youth 1 team to master over the summer.

**for tumbling passes, group up 2-5 kids and come up with something that has at least 4 skills with bwo and fwo included. Change directions mid-pass (front corner to the center, 1/4 turn and tumble to other front corner, etc) for extra creativity.
[/QUOTE]

bumping an old post to ask a question. I'm helping with a lvl 1. What defines running vs standing at lvl 1? Also, why cartweel instead of roundoff in pass?

bumping an old post to ask a question. I'm helping with a lvl 1. What defines running vs standing at lvl 1? Also, why cartweel instead of roundoff in pass?

The same as every other level, a forwards momentum. So anything going forward basically is running, and backwards is standing. I'd say rather a fwo cw bwo rather than fwo ro bwo because 1. ro is a power skill, bwo is a controlled skill, 2. next season ro bwo without a pause is illegal, also I find cw bwo more aesthetically pleasing, and it should be easier to actually execute especially connected and smooth.

I coach level 2 but we have a few passes with bwo and they all make them connected to cartwheels. The only skill I allow them to make out of a ro is a bhs. I don't want j2 kids to blow out their knees already or get bad technique from absorbing the rebound of their ros.

bumping an old post to ask a question. I'm helping with a lvl 1. What defines running vs standing at lvl 1? Also, why cartweel instead of roundoff in pass?[/QUOTE]

Because a cartwheel can be standing and running in level 1, I make sure my kids do a cartwheel from a lunge without any steps before it for standing, then a minimum of 2 steps before the skill in their running tumbling. So far, it's been scored the way I hoped *knock on wood*

A BWO after a round off looks weird to me, because you get the punch off the floor, then do a non power skill after it. We do round offs as a stand alone skill, and anything connected initiates from a cartwheel.

Because a cartwheel can be standing and running in level 1, I make sure my kids do a cartwheel from a lunge without any steps before it for standing, then a minimum of 2 steps before the skill in their running tumbling. So far, it's been scored the way I hoped *knock on wood*

A BWO after a round off looks weird to me, because you get the punch off the floor, then do a non power skill after it. We do round offs as a stand alone skill, and anything connected initiates from a cartwheel.[/QUOTE]

In next year's rules as released by USASF, a roundoff directly into another skill will be illegal anyways, it will require a stop before performing another skill. Also in level 2 no more BHSO then a half turn into another skill.

The same as every other level, a forwards momentum. So anything going forward basically is running, and backwards is standing. I'd say rather a fwo cw bwo rather than fwo ro bwo because 1. ro is a power skill, bwo is a controlled skill, 2. next season ro bwo without a pause is illegal, also I find cw bwo more aesthetically pleasing, and it should be easier to actually execute especially connected and smooth.

I coach level 2 but we have a few passes with bwo and they all make them connected to cartwheels. The only skill I allow them to make out of a ro is a bhs. I don't want j2 kids to blow out their knees already or get bad technique from absorbing the rebound of their ros.

This is interesting to me; I have a kiddo on a mini 1 (third year of cheer) and will probably be on mini 1 again next year. I just let the coaches coach so never know what scores well or anything but her current pass is a 2 step fwo, round off turn, fwo, cartwheel, bwo. I think between the cartwheel and bwo they have started having her and the other two girls do a 2 count (maybe less idk) pause. Is the pause for the legality thing? I always thought it was just to make sure they are really clean and together and it does look really pretty but now wondering if there's some other reason behind it.

Watch Arizona Heat Jflame, they are Junior Level 1 and I love their routine from D2 Summit last year.

Sorry just realized this is an old thread

Back