Media Respect

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 20, 2010
"We've all been frustrated by it. We want people to respect what we do and not assume that cheerleading has no depth, value or big-picture importance to society". - Quote by Justin Carrier

This quote points to the problems of no respect in or from the media. But really, how in the world will the respect EVER be given if the groups in charge do little or nothing to control the problems. Example: drinking at World's ....not a word so far from the organization, or it's parent company on a solution...they have yet to acknowledge it, but the rest of the world sure has! Example: Scientific injury study is published and all that is said about it is how wrong they got the numbers, or how safe cheerleading REALLY is...despite the science!

Are we THAT blind to how we as a group are presenting "our depth, our value or big picture"? When the "largest cheer company in the world" does not acknowledge publicly what the issues AND recommended solutions could be, how can the media grasp anything other than selfishness from the mother company? I hear ya, Justin, but until we STOP pointing the fingers at everyone else...the media...for our problems, nothing will change...there is something to the old saying, "you must earn respect, it is not given" Humble pie and leadership....there is a good recipe!

"We've all been frustrated by it. We want people to respect what we do and not assume that cheerleading has no depth, value or big-picture importance to society". - Quote by Justin Carrier

This quote points to the problems of no respect in or from the media. But really, how in the world will the respect EVER be given if the groups in charge do little or nothing to control the problems. Example: drinking at World's ....not a word so far from the organization, or it's parent company on a solution...they have yet to acknowledge it, but the rest of the world sure has! Example: Scientific injury study is published and all that is said about it is how wrong they got the numbers, or how safe cheerleading REALLY is...despite the science!

Are we THAT blind to how we as a group are presenting "our depth, our value or big picture"? When the "largest cheer company in the world" does not acknowledge publicly what the issues AND recommended solutions could be, how can the media grasp anything other than selfishness from the mother company? I hear ya, Justin, but until we STOP pointing the fingers at everyone else...the media...for our problems, nothing will change...there is something to the old saying, "you must earn respect, it is not given" Humble pie and leadership....there is a good recipe!
I really hope your not attacking Justin. Because the positive things he has done for cheerleading have been amazing. I ask what have YOU done? I think it is a much slower process than all of us "hardcore" cheer folks would like but things are being done. Rules are more strict and are being put into place for SAFTETY first, coaches are being offered more and more educational opportunities (I still feel that this needs MORE emphasis) but it is what it is. As far as the drinking at Worlds, if you can name ANY other sport where when kids get together they don't do stupid stuff, I'll be amazed. I feel the drinking at Worlds lies completely on the responsibility of the coaches.

Steps are being made, instead of pointing the finger I ask that you point in the direction of making a difference.

I really hope your not attacking Justin. Because the positive things he has done for cheerleading have been amazing. I ask what have YOU done? I think it is a much slower process than all of us "hardcore" cheer folks would like but things are being done. Rules are more strict and are being put into place for SAFTETY first, coaches are being offered more and more educational opportunities (I still feel that this needs MORE emphasis) but it is what it is. As far as the drinking at Worlds, if you can name ANY other sport where when kids get together they don't do stupid stuff, I'll be amazed. I feel the drinking at Worlds lies completely on the responsibility of the coaches.

Steps are being made, instead of pointing the finger I ask that you point in the direction of making a difference.
Not pointing the finger at Justin....it is the company he is rep's...they have a moral obligation to do more. If they continually send the message out that "they are everything cheer in the world", then the responsibility is greater for them. We need to stop reflecting the behavior to "it is done is other sports". Do not care about other sports, cheerleading's name is on the line. In other sports, the NGB does not turn it's head on problems and ignore them, it addresses them with sanctions, etc. Bad behavior needs to have consequences. And if the press continually picks the wrong image from cheer to portray, then change the image to one that is positive..or at least help with the change. Can you please point me to the area that shows this profit company is making a change, in writing, to help with this 'bad boy' image?...need to read it...and as for making a difference...I am pointing out I am in favor of sanctions for bad behavior be put into place.

Not pointing the finger at Justin....it is the company he is rep's...they have a moral obligation to do more. If they continually send the message out that "they are everything cheer in the world", then the responsibility is greater for them. We need to stop reflecting the behavior to "it is done is other sports". Do not care about other sports, cheerleading's name is on the line. In other sports, the NGB does not turn it's head on problems and ignore them, it addresses them with sanctions, etc. Bad behavior needs to have consequences. And if the press continually picks the wrong image from cheer to portray, then change the image to one that is positive..or at least help with the change. Can you please point me to the area that shows this profit company is making a change, in writing, to help with this 'bad boy' image?...need to read it...and as for making a difference...I am pointing out I am in favor of sanctions for bad behavior be put into place.
Well first I'm glad you weren't bashing Justin. To add, I agree that I would like more to be done but I feel steps are being made. Are they fast enough or strict enough yet, no, are there some trying, yes. Again, I feel a lot more of the responsibility needs to be placed on the parents and coaches than the "all mighty organization" I think you are giving them too much credit. Other than drug testing, I don't feel that sanctions for inappropriate behavior outside of the event they are hosting is probable. Becoming a USASF member is a good first step. Also common sense as a coach is a positive.

Back