High School Miniskirt Ban At San Jose School Also Applies To Cheerleader Uniforms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 23, 2011
I've linked to the article not to violate any copyrights. What does everyone think about it? I've included the picture of the uniform in question.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_18879433

20110912__ssjm0913nocheer~2_GALLERY.JPG

I was super shocked at this cause it's a school near me. I think it's ridiculous since San Jose is super hot and the principal expects them to wear sweats underneath. Their skirts aren't even short.

We have this same rule at the school I coach. I had our rep make sure they uniforms were dress code when they fitted our girls so they would be able to wear them on gamedays. Im fine with the rule as long as its fair. I know some schools allow other teams to break dress code while others have to follow it, but our school treats everyone the same. Our volleyball team even has to play in the PE shorts rather than spendex like most schools. Were not even allowed to practice in soffe shorts because they arent dress code (but i think that ones a little weird because its not like anyone sees them after school and we have out own private cheer room to practice in).

My school's principal told our coaches that we need to wear yoga pants or sweatpants under our skirts. We aren't allowed to wear them alone anymore even thought the dance team, who has the same skirts can, along with the tennis girls, who wear tight cleavage revealing dresses can wear their uniforms to school without problems. He suggested that we could wear our shells with jeans like the football players do...

I posted in the other thread on this, but I'll post here too. I'm completely on the school's side in this one. Not that I think the skirts are too short or inappropriate, but that I think the rule should apply across the board. For those of you that think this is silly, why? Why should the cheerleaders be exempt from the rule? The uniforms are made to be worn while cheerleading, not while in school. If the rule says skirts have to be a certain length, then that should apply to all skirts.

Do the gymnasts run around during the school day in their leotards? Does the swim team run around in swim suits? I'm thinking they probably don't, so why should the cheerleaders get a pass on this?

I'm not really sure why this school made the news for this - I think there are hundreds of schools with this same policy and there have been for as long as I can remember.

yeah are school is set up in to 7 small communities. so its all one school but 7 different principles. and so far only community doesnt allow the girls to wear skirts so we have about 5 cheerleaders not wearing skirts during the day.

Back