Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Keep_Believing

Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Apr 11, 2011
USASF announcing 3 New Divisions at #CheerWorlds2022
1f30e.png
— divisions limited for programs with only ONE Worlds Team.
Those are the three new divisions:
- Limited Extra Small Coed
- Limited Small Coed
- Limited All Girl (XS or SM

So many questions -

Correct me if I’m wrong but:

1. Doesn’t the average gym only have one worlds team? Does this really require a separate division?

2. Does having one worlds team really handicap your ability to win worlds to the point that a new division is required?

3. I mean you’re not necessarily a small program just because you have one worlds team. New locations of very large mega gyms often only have one worlds team.

4. If the goal was a division for small or D2 programs, why not add it to a separate event during D2 Summit and call it D2 Worlds?

I am just rather confused as to what the goal is here.

I mean there are plenty of gyms who participate in the existing Worlds divisions and do well as the only Worlds team in their program?

And if this is for small gyms that also makes no sense because there are small programs gyms with more than one worlds team who would not be eligible to participate.

(confusion intensifies)

I mean there are plenty of gyms who participate in the existing Worlds divisions and do well as the only Worlds team in their program?

And if this is for small gyms that also makes no sense because there are small programs gyms with more than one worlds team who would not be eligible to participate.

(confusion intensifies)

I saw this shared on Facebook from a small gym owner-

Limited Worlds Divisions Added
Today was a very big win for small gyms and for gyms with only 1 worlds team.
Back story: Years ago a new worlds division was created with the intentions of fostering growth and retention amongst any gym that only had 1 worlds team. That division was X Small. The division immediately filled a gap that needed to be filled. Make no mistake this wasn't a D2 division, and was never intended to be, it was a division for gyms that only had enough kids for 1 worlds team.
We got 1 year. That was it. One year. Tabbi and I sat in a round table about the division late in the season, and it was very clear that the larger gyms did not like the protections that came with the division. And to be honest, we weren't strong enough, or wise enough at the time to know how to really fight back. We were told time and time again that larger gyms wouldn't want to touch XS with a 10 foot pole. They just wanted access to it, but to not be in it. Not enough money in it, It's dumb to only have 16 kids on the floor when we could have 28, It's not a respectable division. It was literally everything we had heard 5 years before about D2 being a thing.
At the end of that season, XS as we knew it was taken away. That was a huge blow to gyms that had a worlds team that utilized the division. It took less than a year for every major large gym brand to create new teams and place them in XS, or to reconfigure existing teams by dropping them into XS. We knew it would happen, but man they sure did try to sell to us the division was unwanted nor needed.
Fast forward to today. Three new divisions were unveiled.
Limited XS Coed (2 boys, 16 total athletes)
Limited Coed (5 Boys, 22 Athletes Total)
Limited All Girl (5-22 Athletes)
We have been fighting for the reinstatement of the original XS concept for years. Three to be exact.
These divisions will operate differently than the traditional worlds division. You will compete and earn bids in your standard division ( XS, XSC, Sr Coed) then have the OPTION at worlds to compete in the limited division.
The most important part of this model is CHOICE. You can choose to compete in the limited division or choose to compete in the standard division. And in some divisions, it may be to your advantage to stay in the standard division.
We have been fighting for the reinstatement for the last three years, because it's beyond time to acknowledge that smaller gyms regardless of D1/D2 status need the ability to grow into worlds programs ( if that is what you want to do) .
This has been needed and it was time. We are so excited And no one can take that away from us, including twitter trolls, lol.
This is an opportunity to continue to create the program you want, while also expanding your vision. Winning is NOT everything, but the OPPURTUNITY and CHANCE to win will keep the hope, vision and gym alive.
This is a big big big win for our community.
There were 46 plus teams in XS, and 3 in Large Coed.
I have nothing but respect for Large coed, man those teams are amazing, coached phenomenally, and are incredibly innovative. But those divisions will continue to be in divisions of 3-5 until medium teams move to Large. And Small teams need to move into Medium, Xs teams need to move into Small.
Any measures that help Small Gym, while continuing to grow and retain athletes is a great step in the right direction.
For some gyms, Worlds is not the end game, and we have hella respect for that. But, if it is, now's the time to make your vision for your gyms future know.
Tonight WE celebrate.
This is a WIN, this is OUR WIN.
Dream ALL the BIG DREAMS.
Have the courage to FIGHT for your kids to compete at worlds in YOUR UNIFORM if that's what you dream.
SPEAK your vision and BELIEVE in your Program

Personally, it is difficult for me to understand why "one competition" can't be kept special,
where only the very best of the best at the top level have a shot at winning Gold.

Last edited:
Personally, it is difficult for me to understand why "one competition" can't be kept special,
were only the very best of the best at the top level have a shot at winning Gold.
Agree 100%

also if they want a D2 division only, then why would they not make the already existing extra small decision a D2 only division.
Idk, there’s already so many worlds divisions, we don’t neeed more

The complaint about XS6 was:

“This was supposed to be for small gyms but it’s not because now all of the bigger more competitive programs are making XS6 teams specifically for this division.”

I fully understand that complaint. Similar to how NT6 was supposed to be to allow international teams the opportunity to compete at worlds with limited tumbling. That’s not what it ended up being.

I feel like the same thing is going to happen with these divisions.

What small gyms want to happen:

You compete with other D2 programs with small single Worlds teams.

What is probably going to happen:

1. Newer locations of mega gyms enter because they technically only have one Worlds team this season - With obvious advantages because they can pull athletes from other locations.

2. Smaller sized location of a mega gym intentionally only fields one worlds team and stacks it. Probably not possible for a huge location such as CA Plano but if you’re a medium sized location, you could totally do it.

From how I understand it, you can only have one Worlds team total even if multiple locations, to compete limited. So, none of the CA gyms would qualify for limited.

These new divisions are especially ludicrous and unnecessary given the relatively small gyms that finished near/at the top in XS at 2021 Worlds. Just because YOUR gym didn't place that high doesn't mean it's not possible or that we should invent new divisions so that you and literally everyone and their mother can win a WORLD TITLE. If a World title can't be prestigious in a sport, what can be?

It's completely false to claim that Mega gyms have taken over and are dominating the XS divisions. When a Mega gym does enter XS, it's usually either a team from one of their smaller satellite locations, or a team that's more like their "D, E, or F team" rather than the Mega gym's "A team". A Mega gym's D team isn't so far superior to a typical random gym's A team to justify these new divisions. What a joke for the sport of cheerleading. The point of competitive cheer is to COMPETE, otherwise we can go back to sideline cheer. We shouldn't be looking at the Large Sr Coed division and hoping for every division to have hardly any teams--- we should WANT to compete against a lot of teams at Worlds. That FB post from that small gym owner got me heated.

Looking at the top 4 in XS All Girl and Coed from 2021 Worlds, not one of those gyms is "Mega". They are all small or medium-sized locations, I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I don't think any of them have more than 3 Worlds teams (whether they have 1 or 3 doesn't really matter). This is a JOKE.

Last edited:
These new divisions are especially ludicrous and unnecessary given the relatively small gyms that finished near/at the top in XS at 2021 Worlds. Just because YOUR gym didn't place that high doesn't mean it's not possible or that we should invent new divisions so that you and literally everyone and their mother can win a WORLD TITLE. If a World title can't be prestigious in a sport, what can be?

It's completely false to claim that mega gyms have taken over and are dominating the XS divisions. When a Mega gym does enter XS, it's usually either a team from one of their smaller satellite locations, or a team that's more like their "D, E, or F team" rather than the Mega gym's "A team". A Mega gym's D team isn't so far superior to a typical random gym's A team to justify these new divisions. What a joke for the sport of cheerleading. The point of competitive cheer is to COMPETE, otherwise we can go back to sideline cheer. We shouldn't be looking at the Large Sr Coed division and hoping for every division to have hardly any teams--- we should WANT to compete against a lot of teams at Worlds. That FB post from that small gym owner got me heated.

Looking at the top 4 in XS All Girl and Coed from 2021 Worlds, not one of those gyms is "Mega". They are all small or medium-sized locations, I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I don't think any of them have more than 3 Worlds teams (whether they have 1 or 3 doesn't really matter). This is a JOKE.

Completely agree!

Back