All-Star Moving Around During A Performance Grrr

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Lisa Seye

Cheer Parent
Oct 26, 2013
Pet peeve. I absolutely can't stand people who move around looking for seats or standing and chatting with friends in the seating area while a team is performing. Why can't people wait until between teams? Some comps used to ask that spectators refrain from moving during a performance. I dont see that much anymore. Yeah I get there is a VIP section for family and friends of the performing team, but what if you are trying to watch other teams? You don't want to invade VIP because it's not your team. What if you are elderly and dont want to move to VIP because you may have problems. I can't just sit and enjoy the other teams because SO many people move around during performances. My opinion is that this is SO rude! Gym owners, coaches, etc. Can you not educate your parents and athletes to stop doing this?!?! We pay a lot of money to get in and I, for one, want to watch more than just my team. EPs can you not announce this often and enforce it somehow?????

That’s always annoyed me too. I always make a point to wait until a routine is complete before I go back to a seat. There’s plenty of time between routines. Diff issues, but at one comp, the VIP section was in front of the judges instead of closer because the stage wasn’t elevated. The seats were split on each side so there would be a clear view of the stage. There were teams all sitting in front instead of off to the sides so you couldn’t even see the front of the stage. Not a good setup but at least have some consideration for the families trying to watch. Honestly feel like people are like. Not my kid, I don’t care...

I’ve gotten many videos of people walking right in front of my camera at events where there isn’t a VIP section..

That’s always annoyed me too. I always make a point to wait until a routine is complete before I go back to a seat. There’s plenty of time between routines. Diff issues, but at one comp, the VIP section was in front of the judges instead of closer because the stage wasn’t elevated. The seats were split on each side so there would be a clear view of the stage. There were teams all sitting in front instead of off to the sides so you couldn’t even see the front of the stage. Not a good setup but at least have some consideration for the families trying to watch. Honestly feel like people are like. Not my kid, I don’t care...

I’ve gotten many videos of people walking right in front of my camera at events where there isn’t a VIP section..

We went to a small comp where I literally couldn't see a thing. Imagine a "V" where the judges were elevated at the point of the "V". The sides of the "V" were roped off and chairs were set up on the floor behind the ropes. No elevation to the chairs. Yep, spectators had to stand along the rope and anyone sitting couldn't see a thing. It was the absolute worst set up imaginable and completely avoidable because it wasn't like that the previous year. Of course I couldn't complain (even though it was 100% justified) because I wouldn't want my behavior to reflect on the gym.

Pet peeve. I absolutely can't stand people who move around looking for seats or standing and chatting with friends in the seating area while a team is performing. Why can't people wait until between teams? Some comps used to ask that spectators refrain from moving during a performance. I dont see that much anymore. Yeah I get there is a VIP section for family and friends of the performing team, but what if you are trying to watch other teams? You don't want to invade VIP because it's not your team. What if you are elderly and dont want to move to VIP because you may have problems. I can't just sit and enjoy the other teams because SO many people move around during performances. My opinion is that this is SO rude! Gym owners, coaches, etc. Can you not educate your parents and athletes to stop doing this?!?! We pay a lot of money to get in and I, for one, want to watch more than just my team. EPs can you not announce this often and enforce it somehow?????

I wish I could shimmy this 1000x. I think EPs should give deductions if they can identify the team/gyms that do this.

I'm short so I usually don't go up front to the stage VIP section when my daughter performs because I can't see over all the people. This weekend I sat a little further back and couldn't see the last half of the routine because a crowd of people from one gym got up and decided it was time to leave. Thankfully we have a great videographer, but it's just not the same. I don't understand how people can be so rude.

We went to a small comp where I literally couldn't see a thing. Imagine a "V" where the judges were elevated at the point of the "V". The sides of the "V" were roped off and chairs were set up on the floor behind the ropes. No elevation to the chairs. Yep, spectators had to stand along the rope and anyone sitting couldn't see a thing. It was the absolute worst set up imaginable and completely avoidable because it wasn't like that the previous year. Of course I couldn't complain (even though it was 100% justified) because I wouldn't want my behavior to reflect on the gym.
See, that irritates me. Who wouldn't want customer feedback? Penalizing someone for voicing a grievance is just wrong.

I take issue with people who save seats which makes it difficult for me to be seated between performances.

I take issue with people who save seats which makes it difficult for me to be seated between performances.
Yep in AC recently we were seated next to a mom and child and she had multiple seats with stuff in them row behind her and whenever someone tried to sit she said "no" plus at this comp 75% of the seats were blocked by VIP and/or judges! We were there over an hour and not one person came to sit in those seats!

Yep in AC recently we were seated next to a mom and child and she had multiple seats with stuff in them row behind her and whenever someone tried to sit she said "no" plus at this comp 75% of the seats were blocked by VIP and/or judges! We were there over an hour and not one person came to sit in those seats!
YES!!! We were there as well and the biggest issue I had all weekend was an entire team blocking seats in the awards hall. I came in to watch my daughters 6pm awards and an entire team had their feet blocking the seats in front of them (aside for the seats at the end where some of my fellow moms were sitting) As I tried to get in to sit with my group the adult with them (not sure if it was a coach or parent) told me the first 3 seats were saved in which I asked about all the seats their feet were on. He replied he didn't know and I would have to ask them :mad: Sorry for the rant but I was so ugly about it....Especially when I found out they were holding seats for the 6:30 award session :mad:

YES!!! We were there as well and the biggest issue I had all weekend was an entire team blocking seats in the awards hall. I came in to watch my daughters 6pm awards and an entire team had their feet blocking the seats in front of them (aside for the seats at the end where some of my fellow moms were sitting) As I tried to get in to sit with my group the adult with them (not sure if it was a coach or parent) told me the first 3 seats were saved in which I asked about all the seats their feet were on. He replied he didn't know and I would have to ask them :mad: Sorry for the rant but I was so ugly about it....Especially when I found out they were holding seats for the 6:30 award session :mad:
It was a very poorly ran comp!!! And they charged $25 a day??? I didn't go to awards I left earlier than my daughter. Sounds like they werent much better!

ugh so annoying! I make sure to NOT be that person. I would expect the same common courtesy.

It was a very poorly ran comp!!! And they charged $25 a day??? I didn't go to awards I left earlier than my daughter. Sounds like they werent much better!
The seat saving is ridiculous and happens at pretty much every comp. If I want a seat that's likely being saved for "imaginary friends" I sit and if someone says anything I say that I'll move as soon as they come back. If they argue I tell them they are free to get security. It's really the only way to stop the nonsense. And unfortunately I think Varsity sets a standard rate for their comps, as this is what we paid for WSF (Cheer Alliance the night before was additional) and it seems to be the standard. It is outrageous and it prevents the industry from growing.
I think the comp has been run very well since they changed their location from Hartford to Atlantic City. I just wish they would post final scores but it seems no one does that anymore.

Best seats in the house are top row/back row center. Very rarely is your view obscure for more than a moment, and you can see the entire floor.

I move their stuff to the next seat over and sit down anyway.

I think it should work like at band competitions. While the band is on the field performing, you are expected to stay seated and quiet. Do your moving around in between or you will be shushed by the other parents trying to enjoy the show. It's just good manners, really.
Girl, sometimes it's hard to keep parents down during band comps too. At the one we give, I volunteered to keep the gates to keep people from moving. Wheweee some folks couldn't understand why I was holding the gates shut. Ugh. At other band comps we went to people were moving all over the place. At least we stop that at our own comp.

Back