Moving On.....

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

For our situation we did talk to the owner/coach prior (it's a long story lol) but he was well aware of how we felt that the team would not be competitive again in that same division and he did it again anyway. I know it is not our decision on how teams are formed - but you should have the minimum skill to be a certain level large team, and we were not, should have been small, still would have been killed, but it would not have hurt so much lol. My daughter did not want to go thru another season again like the one before.

But at least you voiced your concerns. They can't say they weren't warned. I have had moms voice their concerns to everyone but me. Those people are powerless to do anything about the things that worry them.

Great advice! In a perfect world, parents should be able to discuss their concerns with their coaches and owners and hope to see improvements from there (or lack of, therefore confirming your feelings about it being time to move on). From a parent's persepctive, it is sometimes hard to communicate these things to a gym in fear of repercussions for your child if you do wind up staying.

Any gym worth it's salt should always be willing and ready to improve. If they have a problem accepting constructive criticism and can't do so without punishing the child then we can start taking bets on how long they'll even be in business.

@CheerBank I agree they are different situations (as I said in my post) but not as different as you make them out to be.

We've experienced this quite a bit unfortunately. My now 25 year old son wanted to play HS Lacrosse his sophomore year and he had never played more than a week of lacrosse camp before that (or had even played any sport before). The practices were awful on him, he played maybe 5 minutes all season, and got quite a bit of ribbing from his teammates. He begged me to quit but I wouldn't let him. Call me mean but I made the best decision I thought for him at the time. He now thanks me for it even though he said it was one of the tougher times in his life.

Every parent knows what their child can handle and cannot. Something like my daughter or especially my son's experience may have been too much for another child. I don't feel like the loss of the time or progression should be the determining factors but rather how will this affect the psych of your child.

While I don't think anyone can tell OP to definitely leave or stay, I do think the suggestions like proactively talking with the coaches are great advice.

Back