Nastia Liukin Announces New Cheer & Dance Competition!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 30, 2015
Nastia Liukin made an exclusive announcement yesterday that she is really proud to introduce The Shine Classic, her exciting new cheer and dance competition, being held in New York City at the Jacob Javits Center on December 19th. It’s open to All Star, Recreation and High School cheer and dance teams. $1000 will go to the Grand Prize winning team, and one lucky team will win the Shine Spirit Award, with the chance to perform at a halftime show at Madison Square Garden on December 20th! For more information, visit Shine Classic NYC Registration, New York | Eventbrite

I'll be interested to see how well this does on the cheer end.. I have no doubts they'll have plenty of dance participants but I don't think there has been a cheerleading competition in NYC since the NCA Big Apple Classic slowly died quite a few years ago. There just aren't the numbers in the city and surrounding areas to put on a big competition in the city. Add in the "local" in Trenton that day and I really don't see it working for cheer. at least all star cheer. maybe they'll have more of a draw from rec/school teams.

I wish them well, though. It'd be nice to have a competition back in the city.

I'll be interested to see how well this does on the cheer end.. I have no doubts they'll have plenty of dance participants but I don't think there has been a cheerleading competition in NYC since the NCA Big Apple Classic slowly died quite a few years ago. There just aren't the numbers in the city and surrounding areas to put on a big competition in the city. Add in the "local" in Trenton that day and I really don't see it working for cheer. at least all star cheer. maybe they'll have more of a draw from rec/school teams.

Especially when it is announced after most gyms have commited to their season. Also, heading into the City during the holidays is the last thing that I want to do-lol.

The Big Apple Classic was a terrible cheer competition. We still have the participation fleece blanket from it though.

In what ways was it bad?
Set up was not really conducive to a cheer comp (if I remember correctly it was at an old theatre). Was on a stage, watching them compete was virtually impossible unless you were standing in the back of the main level or looking down on them from the balcony. I just recall it being very poorly organized and chaotic overall. We only went to it for one season.

Hmm... I enjoy going into the city at Christmas time. Just stay away from Rockefeller Center. It's a mob scene.

Latest posts

Back