High School Nationals Transportation Advice Needed

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 18, 2015
So our squad went with the commuter option because we received our rooming paid through a squad donation at The Walt Disney World Dolphin. Understanding that with commuter you do not receive transportation to and from events etc... Would you all think it would be beneficial in your experience to get a charter from fri-Monday or maybe Rent vans? We are on Disney Property,however... Most defiantly worried about relying on Disney transportation for much as you know it's so unpredictable. Thoughts?! We are from California. (Aside from myself and my technical assistant... We have only had one cheerleader even frequent the Florida area) I'm there quite often (specifically Orlando/Disneyworld) ....but clearly don't know it all or how to best handle everything as a commuter.

So our squad went with the commuter option because we received our rooming paid through a squad donation at The Walt Disney World Dolphin. Understanding that with commuter you do not receive transportation to and from events etc... Would you all think it would be beneficial in your experience to get a charter from fri-Monday or maybe Rent vans? We are on Disney Property,however... Most defiantly worried about relying on Disney transportation for much as you know it's so unpredictable. Thoughts?! We are from California. (Aside from myself and my technical assistant... We have only had one cheerleader even frequent the Florida area) I'm there quite often (specifically Orlando/Disneyworld) ....but clearly don't know it all or how to best handle everything as a commuter.
Correct. No NHSCC buses with commuter passes. You do have Disney buses, but let me warn you that is difficult!! We did the commuter option one year. While we saved money, I wouldn't do it again without our own bus!

Disney buses don't always run to WWOS from every stop at the resorts. For example, we waited over 30 minutes once for a bus, just to find out that a WWOS bus never even comes there. We ended up having to take buses to downtown Disney and then walk to the WWOS bus stop to wait for that bus. Same route back. It was exhausting! We have a large group, so if the bus was full, our rule was that cheerleaders & coaches get on first, while family & friends wait for the next one. This way at least ensured the girls and coaches arrived together. We rarely all got on the same bus because of other Disney guests. We allowed 2 hour travel time each way to get to Wide World of Sports (I think we could have walked faster!)

Vans could work if you have a smaller squad. Check with school rules though. For safety reasons we have a statewide no vans for any school groups rules. Companies won't even rent vans to school groups, the risk is too high. Only recommend vans if you have a driver and person designated to park them. You'll want to drop cheerleaders near the front so they don't have to walk all the way through the huge lot. If you've never driven at Disney world, then you should know it's like it is its own little city. The roads, while well labeled, are confusing to say the least! I've driven there probably close to 50 times and I still get lost!

I highly recommend getting your own charter bus or mini bus on competition days. (Saturday and Sunday) It will be worth every penny! The rest of the days, Disney buses work just fine because you won't be going to WWOS. Mears is the biggest company there, but they usually give their whole fleet to UCA that weekend. We've also used Escot, affordable and great service.

Just a heads up though, if you plan to go the the block party celebration on Sunday night, you will not have transportation. Disney buses don't run since the park is closed. UCA buses only, and those without the travel package can't ride. If you don't plan to attend that, then you don't have to worry!

Also FYI, you'll have to go to Allstars for coaches meeting and check-in. There won't be a direct bus. I recommend having a parent with a rental car take the coaches or call a cab/uber. Worth it!

Correct. No NHSCC buses with commuter passes. You do have Disney buses, but let me warn you that is difficult!! We did the commuter option one year. While we saved money, I wouldn't do it again without our own bus!

Disney buses don't always run to WWOS from every stop at the resorts. For example, we waited over 30 minutes once for a bus, just to find out that a WWOS bus never even comes there. We ended up having to take buses to downtown Disney and then walk to the WWOS bus stop to wait for that bus. Same route back. It was exhausting! We have a large group, so if the bus was full, our rule was that cheerleaders & coaches get on first, while family & friends wait for the next one. This way at least ensured the girls and coaches arrived together. We rarely all got on the same bus because of other Disney guests. We allowed 2 hour travel time each way to get to Wide World of Sports (I think we could have walked faster!)

Vans could work if you have a smaller squad. Check with school rules though. For safety reasons we have a statewide no vans for any school groups rules. Companies won't even rent vans to school groups, the risk is too high. Only recommend vans if you have a driver and person designated to park them. You'll want to drop cheerleaders near the front so they don't have to walk all the way through the huge lot. If you've never driven at Disney world, then you should know it's like it is its own little city. The roads, while well labeled, are confusing to say the least! I've driven there probably close to 50 times and I still get lost!

I highly recommend getting your own charter bus or mini bus on competition days. (Saturday and Sunday) It will be worth every penny! The rest of the days, Disney buses work just fine because you won't be going to WWOS. Mears is the biggest company there, but they usually give their whole fleet to UCA that weekend. We've also used Escot, affordable and great service.

Just a heads up though, if you plan to go the the block party celebration on Sunday night, you will not have transportation. Disney buses don't run since the park is closed. UCA buses only, and those without the travel package can't ride. If you don't plan to attend that, then you don't have to worry!

Also FYI, you'll have to go to Allstars for coaches meeting and check-in. There won't be a direct bus. I recommend having a parent with a rental car take the coaches or call a cab/uber. Worth it!
Perfect... This completely helped me out. Yes we are going to celebration. My plan is to get a charter for at least 2 days ... We would have TOTALY gone with travel package if rooms were not Paid for.

Perfect... This completely helped me out. Yes we are going to celebration. My plan is to get a charter for at least 2 days ... We would have TOTALY gone with travel package if rooms were not Paid for.
The rooms being paid for is awesome! Makes it so much more affordable!

Rented van or bus would be best option for you.

Back