All-Star Nca 2021 Crossover Policy

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The times I’ve seen one change from Live to virtual is because the City, County or jurisdiction ruling over the Center, wouldn’t let it take place as it was originally planned. Surely the Varsity brand putting on the event lost no money, being that the ruling authority over the Center wouldn’t allow the event to take place as it was planned.

Not changed last year.

Has any virtual competition that was supposed to be in person lowered their fee? I've heard they are the same but that is secondhand...As it relates to NCA, It's ridiculous yet I am ok with it. I want to continue to support them and am saving so much money by not attending in person. Also, that money was paid a long time ago (rolled into fees), I might feel different if it was new money going out now.
Competitions that r now virtual have been charging a per team fee not athlete....

Competitions that r now virtual have been charging a per team fee not athlete....

Not sure where you are getting this information, but I can confirm that for a vast majority of virtual competitions for 'national' events that were originally in person, none of the registration fees have been lowered so much as a penny. If I recall correctly, though, I believe they may have waived crossover fees? I could be mistaken on that though, I'd have to look at the paperwork again. I do believe NCA is still $125 per athlete, though, despite the fact the entire event is virtual.

Edited because grammar was atrocious oof.

Not sure where you are getting this information, but I can confirm that for a vast majority of virtual competitions for 'national' events that were originally in person, none of the registration fees have been lowered so much as a penny. If I recall correctly, though, I believe they may have waived crossover fees? I could be mistaken on that though, I'd have to look at the paperwork again. I do believe NCA is still $125 per athlete, though, despite the fact the entire event is virtual.

I meant to say some....yes agree NCA is still per athlete fee....which is crazy!

Battle at the Capital ended up dropping their pricing after it went virtual. It was in the realm of $175/athlete in person, and dropped to $99.

Yeah and not only are you not actually attending a competition, you're only competing 1 day instead of 2. I don't think I've seen a virtual event yet that was 2 days, and yet the prices are very much 2-day National prices. I love many of these companies like NCA and of course want to see them get through this hard time, but I don't think any of these event producers are suffering. They're making loads of money off of emailed videos that get judged in a room somewhere.

Yeah and not only are you not actually attending a competition, you're only competing 1 day instead of 2. I don't think I've seen a virtual event yet that was 2 days, and yet the prices are very much 2-day National prices. I love many of these companies like NCA and of course want to see them get through this hard time, but I don't think any of these event producers are suffering. They're making loads of money off of emailed videos that get judged in a room somewhere.
Right there is no over head cost except the judges! $125 is crazy!

Right there is no over head cost except the judges! $125 is crazy!

Seriously? When you go on vacation and no one is in your home, do all of your bills disappear? All of these businesses still have principal and interest on loans (acquisitions/mergers/buildings), staff, benefits, insurance, utilities, and in Varsity's case, paid bids. No one likes the price of cheer, or all youth travel sports in general, but I'm at a loss as to how many people think all of their expenses disappear if it goes virtual.

Not sure where you are getting this information, but I can confirm that for a vast majority of virtual competitions for 'national' events that were originally in person, none of the registration fees have been lowered so much as a penny. If I recall correctly, though, I believe they may have waived crossover fees? I could be mistaken on that though, I'd have to look at the paperwork again. I do believe NCA is still $125 per athlete, though, despite the fact the entire event is virtual. Edited because grammar was atrocious oof.

The price definitely went down, Cheersport is $172 and NCA and Cheersport are usually around the same price.

Seriously? When you go on vacation and no one is in your home, do all of your bills disappear? All of these businesses still have principal and interest on loans (acquisitions/mergers/buildings), staff, benefits, insurance, utilities, and in Varsity's case, paid bids. No one likes the price of cheer, or all youth travel sports in general, but I'm at a loss as to how many people think all of their expenses disappear if it goes virtual.

She probably means that it doesn't cost much to produce a competition if you literally aren't producing a competition. Teams are simply submitting videos from their own gyms (essentially, they're running the competitions themselves) and then the videos get scored in a back room somewhere. And the judges only have to judge 1 day of competition, not 2 like a typical "National". Aside from judges, awards, and Paid bids, what are the other direct expenses involved in having teams email videos? It cost $2500 for a team of 20 to email a video. I'm not sure of the exact dollar amount of Paid Bids (is it still $650 per cheerleader?), but 5 teams alone might cover the cost of a Paid Bid.

Youth sports are expensive, but what other youth sport has 5291 event producers. And is it the responsibility of cheer parents to pay for all these event producers' expenses without getting much in return. Our sport would be fine and would feel more competitive with half the number of competitions offered.

There's so much prestige and history in NCA and I respect and trust them enough that I'd pay whatever the amount to compete, but some of these smaller event producers are charging $100 a kid to email a video, which is understandably going to feel crazy to some parents, especially when other virtual competitions are charging $400 for an entire team.

Last edited:
She probably means that it doesn't cost much to produce a competition if you literally aren't producing a competition. Teams are simply submitting videos from their own gyms (essentially, they're running the competitions themselves) and then the videos get scored in a back room somewhere. And the judges only have to judge 1 day of competition, not 2 like a typical "National". Aside from judges, awards, and Paid bids, what are the other direct expenses involved in having teams email videos? It cost $2500 for a team of 20 to email a video. I'm not sure of the exact dollar amount of Paid Bids (is it still $650 per cheerleader?), but 5 teams alone might cover the cost of a Paid Bid.

Youth sports are expensive, but what other youth sport has 5291 event producers. And is it the responsibility of cheer parents to pay for all these event producers' expenses without getting much in return. Our sport would be fine and would feel more competitive with half the number of competitions offered.

There's so much prestige and history in NCA and I respect and trust them enough that I'd pay whatever the amount to compete, but some of these smaller event producers are charging $100 a kid to email a video, which is understandably going to feel crazy to some parents, especially when other virtual competitions are charging $400 for an entire team.

Respectfully, I know how virtual comps work and the poster stated there was "no overhead except for judges." The definition of "overhead" is "those costs required to run a business," which would include debt, staff, benefits, insurance, utilities, bid money, ... Even if the poster had worded it differently, even if I misunderstood what she meant, those expenses exist and they still have to pay their bills.

In consideration of how other event producers or youth sports do it cheaper, the obvious answer is they have less debt to revenue. All Star competitive cheer is relatively new (late 80's) and Varsity has taken on huge debt to expand, establish, and the legal expenses developing it on a world wide platform. A new EP can come in, establish their own score sheet and do a virtual comp with relatively little overhead, BUT to expect Varsity to be able to do it for the same amount is ignoring the glaring overhead difference. I can understand not wanting to pay that much for a virtual comp, I can understand feeling as though you aren't getting much in return, but that has absolutely nothing to do with what the poster said about "no overhead except for judges."

Back