College Nca Bid- Video Or Camp, Which Is Better?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 19, 2012
Hey guys! So my D3 college team wants to try and make it to NCA this year. This will be our first time even attempting to go, so I was hoping to get some guidance in regards to the bid process. Because of money, we are leaning toward not attending a camp. My understanding, however, is that earning a bid at camp is a bit easier than video, and that video bids are not monetary.

As of now, we are leaning to the video side. I have read the basic video requirements on NCA's website, but was hoping to receive any other helpful advice of what to put in and not put in? Our team had a wide variety of tumbling skills, with about 5 fulls and a handful of lays and tucks. Our stunts are decent, we have the ability to achieve some higher level stunts with practice but the video is due before we could reach our full potential.

Should we display cleaner skills that are lower level, but that everyone would be able to accomplish? That's what I assumed because of team majority but was wondering the chance of us loosing a bid showcasing those lower skills? (As in 15 running round off tucks instead of 5 ro bhs fulls)

Thank you! Any advice about NCA or the bid process is helpful and will be much appreciated!

My preference would definitely be go to camp. You have a chance at winning a higher bid, which means overall nationals is less expensive, and its a great team bonding experience. You also learn so much from the instructors there. However, I have heard a video is really easy (my team did one 2 years before I got to college). You don't need much to qualify for NCA nationals, so if you do a video, roundoff tucks should be fine. While you are scored on team majority, throwing in a few ro bhs fulls certainly wouldn't hurt. You can find a bunch of different video bids on youtube if you just search "nca bid video"

NCA Camp for sure. Going with a clean and polished look always plays in your favor at camp. And also, the experience of going to camp definitely helps in preparing for the future and makes getting a bid that much more attainable for future teams.

You don't have to go to a camp necessarily, you can have the camp come to you! Our team couldn't afford going to the camp and did not want to do a video bid, you can pay extra to get a bid just by having NCA come to your school for a weekend camp. Contact your local Varsity rep! Probably your best option :) good luck!

Going to camp might be a bit overwhelming if it's not something your team has done before. There's a lot of practice that happens before camp in my experience. But it's absolutely a great bonding opportunity for the team.

Maybe look into a private camp like @emilyhaze recommended. When I was in college, the only way you could get a video was by taping, they didn't give them at camp and taping is a pretty awful experience.

Camp is where its at. A lot of people scoff at the idea of camp for college teams but there is something special about going with your whole team to a location that isn't your school or gym and working together around other teams. The competitiveness of everyone gets awakened a little bit, people challenge themselves, they open up to learning new stuff. I am all for camp.

Back