College Nca College Nationals!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Small Rant, the lack of execution makes college cheerleading WAY more dangerous. Here is why:

Because you do not get hurt for throwing a crappy double full basket (slightly lower score... but as compared to allstar not at all) more teams just try them. As long as them make them around some of the time, why not just throw it in there? So there are a TON of college teams trying stuff they shouldnt have on the off hand chance it hits they will get big points for it. It doesnt matter if it was ghetto.. it hit they get points.

In allstar if you try and do the hardest thing you possibly can and it looks terrible you would see yourself near the bottom. This 'protects' cheerleaders. It takes difficult and execution to win in allstar. So that janky full hurts your score more than it helps you. So instead of having that girl compete it, risk blowing out her knee, and lowering your score you take her out and have her do a layout until her full is pretty and solid.

</end rant>

What is the NAIA?

NAIA is like the NCAA for smaller schools. Most NAIA schools only have a few thousand people that attend.
NAIA decided to make cheerleading and dance a varsity sport. They held regionals in February and are holding nationals in conjunction with NCA Nationals, hence the NAIA division.
This is the first year of competition and there are still some NAIA teams that are competing in the regular divisions. Some of the NAIA routines were...not great, but there are more NAIA teams that compete elsewhere that are planning on going next year, so I'm sure it will get better.

Lets take day 2 updates to the other thread so it is easier to look through them.

Also for those who are asking about Maryland. Their small coed is in Daytona but their all girl is competeing at their nationals this weekend in Oregon.

But you have to double twist or flip down, not single twist down. While I think their stunt deserves to be in the top category, I am curious did it score that way. Back handspring ups as well should not get in the highest category.

The ONLY stunt I saw from anyone that should score in the highest category is OSU. And I figure that is why they had the highest raw score?

Do they have to hit everything in one stunt, or is it inclusive of all the stunts? They doubled down out of almost everything else. A funny cradle is like a 1.5 down out of a stretch for the girl, isn't it? Maybe it's a loophole.

Do they have to hit everything in one stunt, or is it inclusive of all the stunts? They doubled down out of almost everything else. A funny cradle is like a 1.5 down out of a stretch for the girl, isn't it? Maybe it's a loophole.

Now, before anyone misunderstands me, I think the wording on the scoresheet is TERRIBLE and should not properly reward anyone except one specific circumstance. But, according to the wording on the scoresheet it implies that: You must flipping entry (so no BHS or FHS ups) into an Awesome or extended leg body position and THEN, without transition, dismount by double twisting for flipping and having no asisstence.

Watching all the videos yesterday no one met this requirement. That is why I was curious who was rewarded. If someone was rewarded then who the hell knows how this scoresheet works vs how it is written.

What it should have said:
To score in the highest stunt category a team must either have a flipping, free release inversion right-up, or twisting entry over 1.25. The stunt must be caught either one hand or(and) land in an extended leg body position. During the life of the stunt the flyer must dismount by either flipping or double twisting down. The stunts must remain majority unassisted during the entries, transitions, and dismounts for the life of the stunt.

Anyone from the top teams: is anybody getting scored in the top stunt category?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
Louisville Large Coed is the ONLY team that was scored in the 10.5-11.0 Stunt range. I can show you a print out of the judges averages if need be to prove it...

Rewind immediate stretch (or any body position)double down(unassisted) gets you into the highest range... hence why UL large coed had that in their routine and also why they were the only team in that division to get into the highest range...

We made our entire routine based off the new scoring rubric. Same reason you saw Double toe 2 to Fulls in just about everyone's routine b/c for whatever reason in this new rubric a back handspring is required between the jump and the ending layout or full to get into the highest range...

Now, before anyone misunderstands me, I think the wording on the scoresheet is TERRIBLE and should not properly reward anyone except one specific circumstance. But, according to the wording on the scoresheet it implies that: You must flipping entry (so no BHS or FHS ups) into an Awesome or extended leg body position and THEN, without transition, dismount by double twisting for flipping and having no asisstence.

Watching all the videos yesterday no one met this requirement. That is why I was curious who was rewarded. If someone was rewarded then who the hell knows how this scoresheet works vs how it is written.

What it should have said:
To score in the highest stunt category a team must either have a flipping, free release inversion right-up, or twisting entry over 1.25. The stunt must be caught either one hand or(and) land in an extended leg body position. During the life of the stunt the flyer must dismount by either flipping or double twisting down. The stunts must remain majority unassisted during the entries, transitions, and dismounts for the life of the stunt.

Rewind immediate stretch (or any body position)double down(unassisted) gets you into the highest range... hence why UL large coed had that in their routine and also why they were the only team in that division to get into the highest range...

We made our entire routine based off the new scoring rubric. Same reason you saw Double toe 2 to Fulls in just about everyone's routine b/c for whatever reason in this new rubric a back handspring is required between the jump and the ending layout or full to get into the highest range...

Before I get with someone from U of L into it again this year the reason I said I didn't think you all qualified was the hands on assisted catches for the immediate stretch. You guys definitely showed with the one arm rewinds no one was involved by distancing the spots. There were a few, it obviously didn't hurt your score, so I am not overly worried about it. OSU however also met the requirements in my eyes if you guys did. They did rewind awesome (albeit the execution was lacking) and during the stunt did an unassisted double down. But, alas, poorly written scoresheets abound in cheerleading.

OSU did a roundoff attempt at a rewind and the majority of them were caught with 2 hands before they released one hand for the awesome and it was not to an immediate one legged body position WITH a flipping or double twisting dismount.

Having said all that OSU had a GREAT routine and they are very talented I have a ton of respect for them!

Back