High School Nca High School Nationals?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 12, 2012
Hey Guys! I am new to the world of high school cheerleading and made competition team at my high school. I have been to NCA all star nationals with my all star gym and I was wondering what the similarities between the two competitions are! I really don't know what to expect with NCA High School nationals... What have been your experiences with it good or bad? Is it similar to NCA allstar nationals?

It is similar though a bit more compact than allstar. Not as many halls are in use typically for high school nationals (the arena and A hall usually), but the atmosphere and staging is nearly the same (big lights, big arena, big stakes). Since high school is on flat mats, that takes a little getting used to if you are expecting the arena to be nice and springy.....its pretty much solid concrete underneath. The competition runs pretty well usually and the divisions are tight because essentially there are 3 difficulty levels and 3 sizes with some other specialty divisions + JH/Freshmen/JV. The great majority of teams will be from the Texas/Oklahoma area. It's going to be cold in the lobby or anywhere near doors since it's in Dallas during January, so keep warm up pants on while stretching or until actual warm ups to prevent muscle injuries. Details and technique play a big factor, as many of the teams will do almost the exact same skills, especially in novice and intermediate divisions due to only being able to do so much under the level restrictions.The one big difference aside from the skill levels is the game time division. It's a competition based on sideline material (timeout dance, timeout cheer, fight song, or best compiled score). Schools can compete in both game time and regular competition routine divisions, as only one school wins NCA jackets from all the different cheers and dances done.

Here's the arena staging:
2013 NCA Senior and Junior High School National Championship

It is similar though a bit more compact than allstar. Not as many halls are in use typically for high school nationals (the arena and A hall usually), but the atmosphere and staging is nearly the same (big lights, big arena, big stakes). Since high school is on flat mats, that takes a little getting used to if you are expecting the arena to be nice and springy.....its pretty much solid concrete underneath. The competition runs pretty well usually and the divisions are tight because essentially there are 3 difficulty levels and 3 sizes with some other specialty divisions + JH/Freshmen/JV. The great majority of teams will be from the Texas/Oklahoma area. It's going to be cold in the lobby or anywhere near doors since it's in Dallas during January, so keep warm up pants on while stretching or until actual warm ups to prevent muscle injuries. Details and technique play a big factor, as many of the teams will do almost the exact same skills, especially in novice and intermediate divisions due to only being able to do so much under the level restrictions.The one big difference aside from the skill levels is the game time division. It's a competition based on sideline material (timeout dance, timeout cheer, fight song, or best compiled score). Schools can compete in both game time and regular competition routine divisions, as only one school wins NCA jackets from all the different cheers and dances done.

Here's the arena staging:
2013 NCA Senior and Junior High School National Championship

Thanks this was really helpful!!

Back