All-Star Nca Housing Exception Form

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I agree with Miss Congeniality that cheer families are the big losers in STP. I am furious over paying $800 for 3 nights, 100% paid up front, six months in advance, non refundable, $100 of it is tax and they can change the tax if Texas/Dallas does. I don't mind telling anyone who will listen how unhappy I am about every business involved in this scheme- NCA, housing connections, the hotel chain, the city, the convention center. I am going to try not to spend one penny at the hotel or convention center while I'm there.
That is crazy! Did your gym not give you options? Or at least discuss the costs prior to choosing the hotel. If not then they have no consideration for the parents.

I get it. I understand supply and demand. The problem here is that STP has changed the "supply and demand" by, in essence, taking the "free market" out of it. The Supply no longer consists of ALL hotels/motels/inns/etc. in the greater Dallas area. The Supply is now "hotels that have agreed to our terms* and are on our list as acceptable". The Demand is also now steeper because ALL attendees are REQUIRED to stay in the Supply hotels (or present an exception form to be approved). What happens when you come up with that combination? Increased prices. So while, yes, prices would have no doubt increased year to year even if hotels were operating independently...by taking the free market out of it, the increase has been significantly steeper.

The losers here are the families. They can no longer negotiate directly with hotels or decide for themselves where they want to stay from a complete list of all accommodations. If they want to stay in a hotel in BFE that is "not on the list" to save money, they have to ask for "permission" by way of an exception. The inherent nature of having to file an exception gives someone (CH or NCA?) the ability to not grant your exception should they choose. Families are paying more in an artificial supply/demand environment.

I am certain NCA is able to negotiate better rates for the convention center based on the number or rooms they guarantee will be taken. Count NCA as a winner in STP.

The hotels? Well, I am sure they like the higher rates they are guaranteed by "willing to pay $50/bow" parents coming to town. I am also pretty sure that they have to boost their rates to accommodate some sort of "payment" (I am guessing flat rate or percentage) to CH. Because, face it, that is how CH is getting paid. CH is also a winner in STP. As far as the hotels --- Obviously some hotels do not consider NCA/HC a "winner" and have chosen to not partner despite their proximity to the Convention Center. Others, I would guess, despite the inconvenience of the noisy, rowdy cheer families, are no doubt winners in STP when you look at the rates they are able to charge for those days versus the rates the rest of the year.

So, I get what you are saying. I understand the "why" behind STP. But I would argue that those same # of hotel rooms in the area would be taken even without STP. Families have to stay somewhere. The problem is it is more difficult that way for NCA to show how many hotel rooms they are responsible for. So that proof comes at a price...and that price is borne by the families.

Devil's Advocate....What happens if Coca Cola, Beyoncé, National Quilting Bee, Humane Society, etc. plan something the same weekend and block those hotels. Are we, as attendees, still happy if we have to drive 20+ miles to the venue in icy weather? And again, I'm just basing this off what two managers told me when I was inquiring about the high pricing in Nashville. These managers had no problem telling me about spray tans in showers ruining shower curtains, towels, and staining grout and how long it takes them to get glitter out of carpet. I'd love to blame everything on Housing and Stay To Play, but both of these managers made it pretty clear in their nicest way possible, we aren't the hotel industry's favorite consumers.

That is crazy! Did your gym not give you options? Or at least discuss the costs prior to choosing the hotel. If not then they have no consideration for the parents.
The gym did not know of the "take all the money at once" policy in advance, and has been trying to get the situation ameliorated, but they are coming up against all the arguments/excuses you are seeing here. The gym is still hopeful that something can be worked out. EDIT: I am less patient than my gym owners.

The gym did not know of the "take all the money at once" policy in advance, and has been trying to get the situation ameliorated, but they are coming up against all the arguments/excuses you are seeing here. The gym is still hopeful that something can be worked out. EDIT: I am less patient than my gym owners.
That a still a lot of money for a weekend whether her they take it now or later! Hope u can share it with someone!

This must be your gyms doing for the hotel y'all have to stay at. I stayed 3 nights last year between 2 hotels. The regular 2 nights plus a night because of the snow and I definitely spent less then 500$ maybe $400 I think for those 3 nights. I booked through connections.

This year I booked through connections also getting 3 nights for $400 so yes I hate connections and I want to book wherever the hell I want to book at but it definitely doesn't have to be that expensive! Have you checked their website? They do have more cost effective options on there! I booked mine last year a week before the event and got it cheap and in a nice hotel. This year I already booked though!

ETA I also did not have to pay any upfront and that's including tax!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, last year I got a better rate and only had to pay one night up front, and I believe it was refundable.

Did you have to drive from your hotel to the comp?
Last year I did, the year before wasn't much more money but we didn't have to drive the hotel shuttled us.

Even if your gym picked a hotel further out for a much better rate they could get by on charging the athletes like $40 per kid and they could have their own buses to and from for the whole weekend that would take kids/parents friends and family . We did that last year at one comp and had our own 3 busses for us .. It worked out great.

I'm just saying there is a much more cost effective option then the gym charging that much for 3 nights.. I know some parents have it but I for one do not. It was just an observation because to me $800 is a lot of money.

Last year I did, the year before wasn't much more money but we didn't have to drive the hotel shuttled us.

Even if your gym picked a hotel further out for a much better rate they could get by on charging the athletes like $40 per kid and they could have their own buses to and from for the whole weekend that would take kids/parents friends and family . We did that last year at one comp and had our own 3 busses for us .. It worked out great.

I'm just saying there is a much more cost effective option then the gym charging that much for 3 nights.. I know some parents have it but I for one do not. It was just an observation because to me $800 is a lot of money.

It is a LOT of money! But I still don't see it as the GYM charging me- the hotels this year are mostly more expensive and further away than last year. Several of the hotels from last year are not on the list this year. If I had to rent a car or use a taxi (don't get me started on the Dallas taxis!) it could make a cheaper hotel cost about the same. The price is outrageous, but the policies and the "service" provided by the event are responsible.

Devil's Advocate....What happens if Coca Cola, Beyoncé, National Quilting Bee, Humane Society, etc. plan something the same weekend and block those hotels. Are we, as attendees, still happy if we have to drive 20+ miles to the venue in icy weather? And again, I'm just basing this off what two managers told me when I was inquiring about the high pricing in Nashville. These managers had no problem telling me about spray tans in showers ruining shower curtains, towels, and staining grout and how long it takes them to get glitter out of carpet. I'd love to blame everything on Housing and Stay To Play, but both of these managers made it pretty clear in their nicest way possible, we aren't the hotel industry's favorite consumers.
It's all because of that shoe convention one year ;)
And you know what... we would be fine if Beyonce, Coca Cola and the Humane Society are all converging on Dallas...because we are Cheer Moms and we plan a year in advance and Bey would be begging US for rooms. LOL! The reality (at least in downtown Dallas) is it's a business district and really the only draw during weekends is whatever is at the convention center. So he who gets the convention center is likely he who takes over most hotels.
Seriously though, I get what you are saying and I understand that spray tanned shower curtains are no fun...but don't penalize me unless it is my room. Don't double my rates because Suzy Spray Tans Mom was drunk when she was aiming the gun. (And obviously spray tans are not the only issue... but still... same idea)

Last edited:
And you know what... we would be fine if Beyonce, Coca Cola and the Humane Society are all converging on Dallas...because we are Cheer Moms and we plan a year in advance and Bey would be begging US for rooms. LOL! The reality (at least in downtown Dallas) is it's a business district and really the only draw during weekends is whatever is at the convention center. So he who gets the convention center is likely he who takes over most hotels.
Seriously though, I get what you are saying and I understand that spray tanned shower curtains are no fun...but don't penalize me unless it is my room. Don't double my rates because Suzy Spray Tans Mom was drunk when she was aiming the gun. (And obviously spray tans are not the only issue... but still... same idea)

Hahahaha!! The Omni has glass shower doors ;) problem solved!

....but, NCA now starts during the business week.;) We actually don't disagree on much, I just don't agree that the Stay To Play rule is driving up hotel pricing, our pricing is actually the same or within a few dollars of last year and our block prices are cheaper than booking outside of the block.
I, also, agree that technically businesses should charge the person that creates the damage, but realistically, I know it is much cheaper for a business to charge the masses than keep track of individual room damage and glitter ownership, and then try to collect damages that the customer will more than likely dispute with their credit card company. I'm really not a huge business sympathizer, but I used to work for a CFO of a retail corp and every single suggestion was always followed with: How does that affect the customer? Our profit? Our employees? I tend to believe most smart businesses do the same.

Yes, last year I got a better rate and only had to pay one night up front, and I believe it was refundable.[/QUOTE
Full payment, cancellation policies, etc are based on the hotel. Last year we had the choice between the Springhill Suites and the Hyatt. Hyatt required a one night deposit upon reservation and full payment by Jan 1. Springhill just took guarantee and payment upon check out. This year, I have heard that Hyatt is requiring full payment upon reservation. I do think that the rates this year have gone up quite a bit from what I am hearing.

Since you stayed at Springhill, I've asked a couple people and I'll ask you, if it's not a freakin' ice storm outside, is it a reasonable walking distance to the convention center?

Since you stayed at Springhill, I've asked a couple people and I'll ask you, if it's not a freakin' ice storm outside, is it a reasonable walking distance to the convention center?
Actually, I stayed at the Hyatt, but per others from our gym, it is definitely reasonable walking distance. The ice storm in Dallas last year invaded our room at the Hyatt. I have pictures of all of the ice on the INSIDE OF THE WINDOW.:confused:

Back