College Nca Vs. Uca

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 26, 2011
Hey yall, I'm an allstar cheerleader and I also cheer for my high school squad. I would like to know the differences between NCA and UCA because I am a junior and I would like to be looking at colleges to cheer at.
My DREAM team is Louisville Coed, but I love UCF's location and I know that they are also good!
Plus there are two big differences, 1 is NCA and the other UCA!
Help please!

NCA has an allstar style routine whereas UCA has a more 'clean' high school style routine with no jumps or dance.
I think UCA has a longer cheer section than NCA but I could be wrong.
Also I'm from England so I don't know much about American collegiate sports, but the impression I have gotten is that UCA schools tend to have a bigger football/basketball program so the cheer squads do more sideline stuff in addition to competing.

A UCA routine is 2:30 with the music portion 1:30. Each squad must perform a cheer in their routine (most squads do their cheer in the middle of the routine). Squads are allowed to perform 2 1/2 high pyramids, basket tosses, and extended stunts in their cheer portions as well.
An NCA routine is 2:15 and music is required for all of the routine. In the prelims, squads perform a 45 second crowd segment where they perform a cheer, but are only allowed to perform shoulder stands, hands, extension preps, full downs, and chairs.

A UCA routine is 2:30 with the music portion 1:30. Each squad must perform a cheer in their routine (most squads do their cheer in the middle of the routine). Squads are allowed to perform 2 1/2 high pyramids, basket tosses, and extended stunts in their cheer portions as well.
An NCA routine is 2:15 and music is required for all of the routine. In the prelims, squads perform a 45 second crowd segment where they perform a cheer, but are only allowed to perform shoulder stands, hands, extension preps, full downs, and chairs.

NCA Nationals prelims consists of a 45 sec Game Day routine, cheer with signs, megs, poms, mascots, and stunts that are sideline approved. Followed by a 2:15 all music routine including, tosses, 2 1/2 pyramids, single based one leg extended stunts with double downs, tumbling and a fast paced dance. Then approx 50% make it to Finals and compete on the Bandshell.

I really wish it was'nt a choice of UCA vs NCA...the differences are not that huge! My daughter went with a very strong NCA school for her 1st 3 yrs of College and LOVED it, but is transferring to a UCA school this fall.

I think you should make a least of schools with your major 1st.......schools you want to cheer at 2nd.....then make visits to those cheer schools. It is more important to "fit" in with a squad, then be on your Dream team and be miserable. I'e seen that happen way too many times. I also reccomend getting a strong skills video out on youtube.....getting recruited by a cheer school is a whole different ball game!

Good Luck to you, Also Check out the CollegeCheerGuide.com Tons of info on college cheer programs, who competes, who doesnt, and what camps they go to. Very useful info!

Thank You so much! Thats helps alot! I checked out College Cheer Guide but I feel like they dont have everything on teams on there cause Louisville isn't even listed!

Bethany, 2011 Team USA Coed..lol she was the "U" and pyramids on the left. The most amazing experience a cheer mum could ever imagine...and we are very excited to go watch a really big D1A game! She is excited and nervous, but has made some great friends already.

@ collegecheermum I thought so! I watched her SFA tryout video on youtube when I first started cheerleading, she inspired me to try partner stunting and I fell in love with it. She's got such a great attitude, amazing skills and the end of her team USA tryout vid was pretty funny. Good luck!

Back