College Ncata Or Stunt

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Well Louisville is a Stunt school, and a lot of the Stunt schools are teams that aren't going to stop cheering at games anytime soon, which is requirement for NCATA. I think, as time goes on, rather than having UCA or NCA, we'll have NCATA for NCAA Title IX teams, and Stunt for teams that want to continue cheering at games and competing. I think that's the biggest difference. Plus, coed teams can't be a Title IX sport, so there's no room for them in NCATA.
At the NCATA schools people can still do sideline though. They just have to have seperate teams. I see what you mean though. If you want to do both stunt makes the most sense.
I can see it going that direction too but I wish we could find just one format that was universally accepted. I already don't like the UCA/NCA thing. I don't think having just one will ever happen though.

At the NCATA schools people can still do sideline though. They just have to have seperate teams. I see what you mean though. If you want to do both stunt makes the most sense.
I can see it going that direction too but I wish we could find just one format that was universally accepted. I already don't like the UCA/NCA thing. I don't think having just one will ever happen though.

At NCATA Universities the athletes are recruited for their sport. None of these athletes are on sideline cheerleading teams, although all NCATA institutions have sideline cheerleading teams...the athletes do not cross over.

At NCATA Universities the athletes are recruited for their sport. None of these athletes are on sideline cheerleading teams, although all NCATA institutions have sideline cheerleading teams...the athletes do not cross over.
I know. That's why I said stunt makes the most sense if you want to do both. But the opprotunity is still there at ncata universities to cheer sideline. You just have to pick one or the other. Personally I think that's much better for the advancement of our sport than doing both. Cheering sideline is one of the things that make people think cheer isn't a sport so I don't see how doing both works with the whole stunt format.

I know. That's why I said stunt makes the most sense if you want to do both. But the opprotunity is still there at ncata universities to cheer sideline. You just have to pick one or the other. Personally I think that's much better for the advancement of our sport than doing both. Cheering sideline is one of the things that make people think cheer isn't a sport so I don't see how doing both works with the whole stunt format.

But in order for Stunt to qualify as a sport for Title IX purposes they can't do both, and in that respect Stunt does not make sense. I guess I understand having schools put a toe into the water to see if they like it, but in the long run a Stunt team will look drastically different from what it does now. Eventually athletes will have to choose Stunt or sideline. I respect NCATA for separating the two now instead of having to do it down the line.

NAIA does not have to abide by NCAA rules. They are completely separate entities. To me the major difference is that NAIA is for smaller universities and unlike NCAA does not have to offer a specific number of sports. So if a university just started athletics and wanted to offer only mens and womens basketball, NAIA would be a better fit. If that university wanted to transition to a NCAA school eventually, there are steps that they could take in order to do so. And there are some schools that choose to transition from NCAA to NAIA. Which athletic association is a better fit really depends on the needs of the school. Both NCAA and NAIA have to abide by Title IX rules, obviously.
That's more what I was talking about, I'm not too familiar with NAIA so I'm sorry if I misspoke.

So I'm wondering, have athletes already been actively recruited for NCATA teams? How exactly is this happening? I find this very cool....

Is NCATA actually using the A&T format? So whenever you refer to NCATA, are you also referring to A&T? Or are there actually 3 formats out there right now: 1)STUNT (2)NCATA (3) A&T? Thanks in advance for helping me understand.

So I'm wondering, have athletes already been actively recruited for NCATA teams? How exactly is this happening? I find this very cool....

Is NCATA actually using the A&T format? So whenever you refer to NCATA, are you also referring to A&T? Or are there actually 3 formats out there right now: 1)STUNT (2)NCATA (3) A&T? Thanks in advance for helping me understand.

A&T = NCATA

I know for certain that Baylor University (NCATA school) recruited several girls at UCA HS nationals for their current season and next year as well. They get athletic scholarships and are issued university warmups and such just like the basketball/volleyball teams. It's not a full ride, but mixed with some academic scholarships and its almost for some of the girls. I'd imagine the other NCATA schools do similar things.

I wonder if any recruitment is happening at all star competitions? I also wonder if they are recruiting from NCA High School comps?

So I have nothing of value to add to this discussion, but I really have to vent on one little issue I have before my head explodes.

I prefer the NCATA's version of the sport, but I haaaaaaaaaate the idea of it being named "Acrobatics and Tumbling". Dear gawd, come up with something better!

I wonder if any recruitment is happening at all star competitions? I also wonder if they are recruiting from NCA High School comps?

At the University of Maryland they hold clinics for all ages and recruit girls that are junior and seniors in highschool. They also recruit at the sumer camp they have every summer or you can send in a skills video if you can't make one of the clinics or camps.

I believe there is a lot of recruiting happening at competitions. I know there were some coaches at Worlds last year. Its a mixture of girls who come to the coaches looking to be recruited and the coaches going out finding girls to recruit. I'm sure you'll see the coaches more at local competitions (I know the MD coaches frequent Battle at the Capital). They use to have to go out and find girls but now the girls kind of go find the coaches.

Also, NCATA does not use spring floor... yet. My understanding (and this information might be somewhat dated as I have been busy with my own season and haven't really researched it recently) is that the hope is to compete on spring floors and allow doubles in the future.

NCATA schools have to follow NCAA guidelines for recruiting. And they are pretty intense and complicated. Its something like you can't communicate with a recruit until the second semester of her junior year and you can't offer her a position/scholarship until the end of her junior year. (That is simply an example so don't think thats fact!)

Also, my other understanding is A&T is an equivalence sport similar to gymnastics. (AGAIN just an example!) That means on a gymnastics team of 12 they get 7 scholarships. They can give out those scholarships any way they like. They can give everyone half scholarships or can give one girl a paid ride and another just a book scholarship.

Something that I don't see talked about is the fact that 99% of the athletes on these teams are recruited. I think some schools have open tryouts similar to football but rarely if ever take anyone. Usually it occurs when someone backs out and decides not to come. Or something I heard this year was when it was announced that NCATA wouldn't be competing at NCA some freshmen decided to leave and go to an NCA school which meant the team had a spot open it wanted to fill and had an open tryout.

Thank you for your post hiyoe6, that was very informative!

And by the way.....if they really do start competing on a spring floor and allowing doubles, it will be interesting to see how that changes the interest level!

The interest level, for me anyway, is really not which floor they use or how high the skill level...it is A & T schools are providing big scholarship dollars for education....I want to learn more!

Back