College Ncata

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2009
I have recently learned about NCATA and I am curious as to why it is all-girl. Any specific reason anyone knows about?

I am somewhat familiar with the Title IX rules but not all of them. What specific part makes it so this outside organization needs to be all girl?

Title IX means that there are equal number of men's and women's sports or funding or something like that. To be a sport under Title IX or for you school to count you as a "sport" you can't be coed. It just doesn't work like that. You're either men's or women's.

Doesnt title IX apply to high schools? There are coed high school sports.

It does, title IX just means that you have to have equal opportunities for men and women. And there are funding rules too. Like in the instance with Quinnipiac, they were trying to say that the cheer team was a sport and counted towards the female count of Title IX. The ruling was that Cheer is not a valid college sport (yet) and thus those numbers couldn't count towards Title IX. The school still sponsors them as a sport, but they had to bring back the volleyball team to meet their "quota." University of Maryland has competitive cheer as a sport, but again not Title IX.

You could have a coed team, but you couldn't count any of them towards Title IX. They're all seperate and extra.

Basically, QU thought it would be cheaper to cut the volleyball team and make the cheer team a Title IX sport. The ruling was that they couldn't do that, and the cheerleading team couldn't count. They would either have to cut a men's team to make the numbers equal or bring back the volleyball team.

Another question Title IX applies to schools correct? So why does it matter if NCATA offers coed. That is my real question why NCATA doesn't offer coed?

Another question Title IX applies to schools correct? So why does it matter if NCATA offers coed. That is my real question why NCATA doesn't offer coed?

Because NCATA is for colleges? And it's goal is to organize into a sport that will be accepted by the NCAA. They have to be eligible for Title IX if they want to be an NCAA sport.

They're not like NCA or Varsity. They're not just about cheerleading, their specific goal is to get colleges to accept NCATA as an NCAA sport.

So when NCAA accepts cheerleading as a sport coed cheerleading colleges will not be allowed to participate?

So when NCAA accepts cheerleading as a sport coed cheerleading colleges will not be allowed to participate?

No, that's not the case. Their are plenty of colleges that are happy cheering at games and competing and get plenty of support from the university while still counting as a club or student organization and not a Varsity Sport. Louisville might make it's all-girl team a varsity sport, but it will still keep it's coed teams. University of Maryland counts it's all-girl team as a Varsity sport, but also has a coed cheer team that cheers at games. To be a sport, their sole purpose has to be competing, and many schools will keep and support their cheer teams as sideline and competition teams. An NCAA sport cannot cheer at games.

And I said that link mentions Title IX, not coed cheerleading as an NCAA sport.

But following the items in that link if they are listing title IX rules then coed cheer would qualify as a legitimate sport. And if NCAA allows only all-girl as a sport what legitimate options would a college that has coed cheerleading and wants to compete have?

But following the items in that link if they are listing title IX rules then coed cheer would qualify as a legitimate sport. And if NCAA allows only all-girl as a sport what legitimate options would a college that has coed cheerleading and wants to compete have?

I think the rules are very hazy as far as counting a coed sport for Title IX. There isn't much precedence. But having an all-girl team would be the easiest way to count for Title IX eligibility.

They could still compete. Varsity isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Coed teams would go to UCA or NCA and all-girl Varsity NCAA team would have some sort of NCAA "Playoffs" and have their own NCAA Championship. That's why NCATA is having their own national championship and the NCATA teams aren't going to Daytona.

Back