College Ncata

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It does, title IX just means that you have to have equal opportunities for men and women. And there are funding rules too. Like in the instance with Quinnipiac, they were trying to say that the cheer team was a sport and counted towards the female count of Title IX. The ruling was that Cheer is not a valid college sport (yet) and thus those numbers couldn't count towards Title IX. The school still sponsors them as a sport, but they had to bring back the volleyball team to meet their "quota." University of Maryland has competitive cheer as a sport, but again not Title IX.

You could have a coed team, but you couldn't count any of them towards Title IX. They're all seperate and extra.

Basically, QU thought it would be cheaper to cut the volleyball team and make the cheer team a Title IX sport. The ruling was that they couldn't do that, and the cheerleading team couldn't count. They would either have to cut a men's team to make the numbers equal or bring back the volleyball team.

Basically, and with all due respect, the decision to add competitive cheer was not as you cited in this response. The University believes in the skill sets and has continued to support the interest and abilities of the young women who love their sport.

So when NCAA accepts cheerleading as a sport coed cheerleading colleges will not be allowed to participate?

The NCAA will never accept cheerLEADING as a sport nor will the office of civil rights. Doesn't matter if it is male or female. The NCATA is not trying to make cheerLEADING a sport. Co-ed teams and all girl cheerleading teams will continue to have the opportunity to be an NCA or UCA collegiate champion, however as an activity but not a sport.

Okay lets not term it cheerleading then. Why arent the Stunt teams and NCATA coed? Are schools just not willing to fund it.

Basically, and with all due respect, the decision to add competitive cheer was not as you cited in this response. The University believes in the skill sets and has continued to support the interest and abilities of the young women who love their sport.

You probably are more involved with Quinnipiac than I am, but to say that they dumped the volleyball team and made the cheer team a sport just because they liked them better, or whatever, seems a bit disingenuous. That's not really how college politics work. Maybe it was for more than just monetary purposes, and I didn't mean to imply that it all came down to finances, but that certainly seems to be a part of it. At least according to this article.

"The ruling comes in a lawsuit filed by members of the volleyball team at Quinnipiac University. The players sued after the school announced last year that it would eliminate the team for budgetary reasons. The school replaced it with a competitive cheer squad to stay in compliance with the 1972 federal law that mandates equal opportunities for men and women in athletics."

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/sports/judge:-quinnipiac-violated-title-ix

Okay lets not term it cheerleading then. Why arent the Stunt teams and NCATA coed? Are schools just not willing to fund it.

Maybe someone can answer this better than I can, but as far as I know, NCAA doesn't have any coed sports, and that's the ultimate goal of NCATA and Stunt.

It will be easier for the NCATA or Stunt to get accepted by Universities by being all girl because many Universities are looking for an all girl sport to help offset the Title IX numbers of football. I did interviews last year with Executive Directors of both organization and neither ruled out coed in the future, but all girl is a much better sell to Universities right now.

The way I understand this is: The only reason this initiative (to make stunt and tumble a NCAA accredited sport) started with All-Girl is that the schools that choose to bring on this new "emerging" sport can take advantage of Title IX funding with an all-girl team. Once acro/stunt/tumble...whatever we are going to call it, becomes a NCAA sport they can open it up to coed. They just had to start somewhere and the all-girl division was the best place to start. That is the way I understand it. There has been so much that has gone into this initiative, from following all NCAA rules ; following individual athletic department regulations to formating a true "season" in the meet style. Quite an undertaking. Congrats to those leading the charge here!

So once it becomes a sport and schools want to then take on a coed team. Will they have to add another equivalent sport for girls again?

So once it becomes a sport and schools want to then take on a coed team. Will they have to add another equivalent sport for girls again?

It depends on the percentages. To comply with Title IX, the male:female athlete ratio must be the same as the male:female ratio at the university. So if allowing boys on the team (and therefore less girls) doesn't mess up the percentages, then they don't have to add another female sport. But most schools have a hard time meeting those percentages (without cutting a men's sport), which is why having Stunt and NCATA all-girl is beneficial. It helps your percentages much better than a coed team does.

Back