1. coachrah

coachrah I make my own voiceovers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Basically, and with all due respect, the decision to add competitive cheer was not as you cited in this response. The University believes in the skill sets and has continued to support the interest and abilities of the young women who love their sport.

2. coachrah

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    The NCAA will never accept cheerLEADING as a sport nor will the office of civil rights. Doesn't matter if it is male or female. The NCATA is not trying to make cheerLEADING a sport. Co-ed teams and all girl cheerleading teams will continue to have the opportunity to be an NCA or UCA collegiate champion, however as an activity but not a sport.

3. stuntaholic

stuntaholic They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Okay lets not term it cheerleading then. Why arent the Stunt teams and NCATA coed? Are schools just not willing to fund it.

4. Ashley

Ashley Administrator Staff Member National Champion

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    You probably are more involved with Quinnipiac than I am, but to say that they dumped the volleyball team and made the cheer team a sport just because they liked them better, or whatever, seems a bit disingenuous. That's not really how college politics work. Maybe it was for more than just monetary purposes, and I didn't mean to imply that it all came down to finances, but that certainly seems to be a part of it. At least according to this article.

"The ruling comes in a lawsuit filed by members of the volleyball team at Quinnipiac University. The players sued after the school announced last year that it would eliminate the team for budgetary reasons. The school replaced it with a competitive cheer squad to stay in compliance with the 1972 federal law that mandates equal opportunities for men and women in athletics."

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/sports/judge:-quinnipiac-violated-title-ix

5. Ashley

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Maybe someone can answer this better than I can, but as far as I know, NCAA doesn't have any coed sports, and that's the ultimate goal of NCATA and Stunt.

6. coachrah

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    The NCATA teams are all funded by their Univerities as a sport.

7. Andre

Andre Batman at Justice League

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    andrejcarter
    I am a(n)...:
    USASF
    Verified Member:
    Andre Carter
    USASF Core Safety Official
    It will be easier for the NCATA or Stunt to get accepted by Universities by being all girl because many Universities are looking for an all girl sport to help offset the Title IX numbers of football. I did interviews last year with Executive Directors of both organization and neither ruled out coed in the future, but all girl is a much better sell to Universities right now.

8. cdscheergirls

cdscheergirls Last Pass... on International Open 1

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    The way I understand this is: The only reason this initiative (to make stunt and tumble a NCAA accredited sport) started with All-Girl is that the schools that choose to bring on this new "emerging" sport can take advantage of Title IX funding with an all-girl team. Once acro/stunt/tumble...whatever we are going to call it, becomes a NCAA sport they can open it up to coed. They just had to start somewhere and the all-girl division was the best place to start. That is the way I understand it. There has been so much that has gone into this initiative, from following all NCAA rules ; following individual athletic department regulations to formating a true "season" in the meet style. Quite an undertaking. Congrats to those leading the charge here!

9. stuntaholic

stuntaholic They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    So once it becomes a sport and schools want to then take on a coed team. Will they have to add another equivalent sport for girls again?

10. Ashley

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    It depends on the percentages. To comply with Title IX, the male:female athlete ratio must be the same as the male:female ratio at the university. So if allowing boys on the team (and therefore less girls) doesn't mess up the percentages, then they don't have to add another female sport. But most schools have a hard time meeting those percentages (without cutting a men's sport), which is why having Stunt and NCATA all-girl is beneficial. It helps your percentages much better than a coed team does.