College Nda/uda History Made?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 2, 2011
My alma mater Lindenwood University has two dance teams: Lion Line and the Lionettes. This year Lion Lion won the Open Jazz division at UDA and the Lionettes won Jazz Division 2 at NDA.

Has this ever happened before? To win both in one year? How common is it for schools to compete at both?

I think it's very uncommon considering the fact that a team cannot compete at both the UCA Nationals and the NCA Nationals in the same year but I know that a team can compete at both the UCA or NCA Nationals and the USA Nationals in the same year (the University of Kentucky, for example the blue squad competes at the UCA Nationals while the white squad competes at Cheersport) and also, partner stunt couples can compete at both the UCA Nationals and the NCA Nationals as well. Hope this helps.

I think it's very uncommon considering the fact that a team cannot compete at both the UCA Nationals and the NCA Nationals in the same year but I know that a team can compete at both the UCA or NCA Nationals and the USA Nationals in the same year (the University of Kentucky, for example the blue squad competes at the UCA Nationals while the white squad competes at Cheersport) and also, partner stunt couples can compete at both the UCA Nationals and the NCA Nationals as well. Hope this helps.

I didn't realize Kentucky had another squad! Why don't they compete at UCA as well? I'm sure the talent pool at Kentucky is deep enough to field two title grabbing teams!

I didn't realize Kentucky had another squad! Why don't they compete at UCA as well? I'm sure the talent pool at Kentucky is deep enough to field two title grabbing teams!

That's because a school cannot send two large coed teams in the same category (in this case, Division IA Large Coed) in the same nationals. Now a FBS school can send a coed team to compete in Division IA Large Coed and an all-girl team to compete in Division IA All-Girl like Alabama, Western Kentucky, Mississippi State and a few other schools do. Hope this helps.

I think it's very uncommon considering the fact that a team cannot compete at both the UCA Nationals and the NCA Nationals in the same year but I know that a team can compete at both the UCA or NCA Nationals and the USA Nationals in the same year

I believe the USA version is technically called "Collegiate Championship," not a nationals, so I think that's why teams can compete both. It makes sense since it's a pretty small competition, it doesn't really deserve a "national" title.

My alma mater Lindenwood University has two dance teams: Lion Line and the Lionettes. This year Lion Lion won the Open Jazz division at UDA and the Lionettes won Jazz Division 2 at NDA.

Has this ever happened before? To win both in one year? How common is it for schools to compete at both?
How does your school have two dance teams that compete separately? Are the teammembers completely separate?

How does your school have two dance teams that compete separately? Are the teammembers completely separate?

Yes. Lion Line and Lionettes have no crossovers and (as far as I know) rarely interact throughout the year except for homecoming performances and things like that.
They make teams over the summer and one attends UDA camp and one attends NDA. They may even have separate coaches, but I'm not 100% on that.

That's because a school cannot send two large coed teams in the same category (in this case, Division IA Large Coed) in the same nationals. Now a FBS school can send a coed team to compete in Division IA Large Coed and an all-girl team to compete in Division IA All-Girl like Alabama, Western Kentucky, Mississippi State and a few other schools do. Hope this helps.

That makes sense, has Kentucky ever had an all girl team? Is there going to be a D1A small coed division in the future we could see them in maybe?

It's possible one is a club team?

At my school (maybe everywhere? I'm not sure lol) sports that aren't NCAA are called "Student Life Sports". Both dance teams (and cheerleading, rugby, roller hockey, shotgun sports, etc) are all SLS. Does that help any?

Yes. Lion Line and Lionettes have no crossovers and (as far as I know) rarely interact throughout the year except for homecoming performances and things like that.
They make teams over the summer and one attends UDA camp and one attends NDA. They may even have separate coaches, but I'm not 100% on that.
Interesting that the school would want to have two separate groups representing. Whatever! :)

Interesting that the school would want to have two separate groups representing. Whatever! :)

If it's just a club of some sort, I can't imagine that the school even cares.

If it's just a club of some sort, I can't imagine that the school even cares.

We're really lucky, Lindenwood is very supportive of athletics. We don't pay anything for nationals, or at least we didn't while I was there - It was all covered by the school. Because of that I'm surprised they're willing to pay for both.
I'm sure if Lion Line wasn't bringing home titles they would be less enthusiastic about funding two dance teams going to two competitions. But Lion Line won either UDA jazz or hip hop every year I was at Lindenwood.
However, as far as I know this is the first time Lionettes have ever won NDA.

Not to sound like a running Lindenwood add or anything but they give out Dance and Cheer scholarships, which is really rare these days.

Last edited:
That makes sense, has Kentucky ever had an all girl team? Is there going to be a D1A small coed division in the future we could see them in maybe?

Nope, Kentucky does not have an all-girl team partly due to the fact that advisor T. Lynn Williamson prefers the more traditional look of college cheerleading (having a large coed team on the sidelines). Kentucky also does not have a small coed team, either. In addition to Kentucky, schools such as LSU, Tennessee, UCF, Auburn and Washington State do not have all-girl nor small coed squads, for that matter.

But I could see the UCA Nationals have a Small Coed Division IA category in the very near future.

We're really lucky, Lindenwood is very supportive of athletics. We don't pay anything for nationals, or at least we didn't while I was there - It was all covered by the school. Because of that I'm surprised they're willing to pay for both.
I'm sure if Lion Line wasn't bringing home titles they would be less enthusiastic about funding two dance teams going to two competitions. But Lion Line won either UDA jazz or hip hop every year I was at Lindenwood.
However, as far as I know this is the first time Lionettes have ever won NDA.

Not to sound like a running Lindenwood add or anything but they give out Dance and Cheer scholarships, which is really rare these days.
Yes I loved that they offered my girl scholarship $$$ to go there! But she chose another school.

Back