High School Need Clarification.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 9, 2012
Can someone please explain to me what is a modified team? I see this with NY teams...
is this a NY thing? And what are the ages/grades ? I saw this at empire regionals yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A modified team is generally a middle school leveled team where kids range from 7th-8th grade (because in NYS 6th graders can't participate in middle school sports.) There are also certain rules that they have to follow, like no basket tosses allowed.

Ok thank you.
Are they just 7,and 8th or can 9th be on the team?

Once a person hits 9th grade they are considered HS age so generally they'll end up on a Freshmen team (which is very uncommon here), a JV team (usually what happens, this team will be occupied by 9th and 10th graders), or varsity skills permitting.

You could also have an 8th grader trying out for JV or Varsity if they pass an athletic exam required for all middle schoolers trying out for a high school level sport and then pass the JV/Varsity tryout.

Got it !
Thanks so much ! I had no idea NY had those rules :)

Allowing middle schoolers to try out for a HS sport has been around forever with other sports but was only recently implemented in cheer when they declared it to be a sport here. It's pretty nice to have if someone thinks the middle schooler is ready to compete at a higher level and has the skills.

Back