High School Need Some Uniform Advice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 31, 2014
My sleeveless shell fits fine and isn't tight but is def pretty fitted looking. One thing I noticed is every time I put my arms up in cheer or bend or lean over it shows a bit of my midsection. Should I ask for a different size? or is it normal? We have old school styled uniforms, no motionfit or performance fabric outfits. Yesterday we wore these uniforms to school for our first game and I'm a first year cheerleader for high school.

I'm curious to know if I somehow was given the wrong size top, just noticed yesterday during school. Although it seems other girls had the same type of fit with their uniforms. They are being re-used from last year. We don't have new ones this year.

Anyone a uniform guru who can help?

Thanks!

Does it still show with a skirt on? All of my high school uniform skirts went around or over belly button level and that was quite a few years ago so it was old style. If it's still showing then it's probably too small. It sounds weird to me that others are fitting that way too, idk. Is there an extra shell that you could have instead or someone that could switch with you?

My squad wears a black cami under our sleeveless shells tucked into our skirts so our midsections won't show- maybe you guys could find a cami about the same color as your uni to wear under it?

-Skirt should be pulled up above belly button & shell should cover the waistband of the skirt.
-Shell should not show stomach with arms down
-With arms raised, the shell will rise a bit, but should ideally still cover stomach (less than 1/2 inch skin showing & I wouldn't worry too much)
-IF skirt is already worn high above bellybutton & still shows skin (we are talking LARGE portion of stomach), the length may have been for a girl with a shorter torso & therefore is not long enough for you. This problem happened at times with my tall girls or girls with a long, lean torso. With hand me downs, we do not have the luxury of changing the fit for each individual athlete, and must make do with what is available unfortunately. If a longer shell is not available, I would suggest that you wear a leotard underneath that matches the uniform color so that you do not have to worry about your stomach showing in a routine.

As you can see in this example, some of the girls simply needed a skirt resting higher (above the bellybutton) to prevent the top from showing stomach. The skin showing is minor:
http://kaleoonakoa.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/KSM-Varsity.jpg

In this situation however (girl tumbling on far right) if this much skin is showing & skirt is already pulled above bellybutton, homegirl needs a bodyliner/leo underneath:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_iONGZepklxs/TH02ueMZMqI/AAAAAAAAAMs/wikP1pID1ko/s640/V Bowie 082710 046-l&e.jpg

I had to take the bottom hem out of my oldest cp's uniform shell the past two years. I put in the smallest hem possible. Really easy to do.

Does the uniform shell fit tight across your chest? it might be something as simple as letting it out 1/4" around the chest area and down that helps it. If it's tight it might not allow good free movement around your arms therefore pulling the uniform shell up to allow for the extra movement.
If that isn't it then I would see if you could lengthen it by taking the bottom hem out a bit and check the seams at the top shoulders too. Most uniforms have an extra 1" of material in them to allow for adjustments.
Finally, buy a smooth cami to go underneath of it that is the same color or pretty close. Don't use just a tank top or anything cotton, go with spandex otherwise you'll be fiddling with it to straighten it out as it bunches up easily.

WOW Thanks for the help everyone!

This board rocks, just reading the advice everyone gives on any topic!

To answer some of your questions and to elaborate a little..

So we have 2 uniforms that are hand-me-downs from last year, but they were new last year. But sized perfectly for that squad obviously. Yes I am a bit tall, somewhat skinny/lanky, with a long middle section, so are a few other girls on the team. Seems like they all have the same look with their uniform as well. The rest of the team is short so can't really switch outfits with them either. I tried it on in front of a full mirror to see what shows. The uniform I wore to school and our game last week actually looked pretty good. Like I said the shell is snug but actually quite comfortable. It falls over my skirt waist (which I DO wear above my belly button slightly) about 1/2 inch over. While standing still, no skin shows. Arms up in cheer, i'd say you can see about 1 1/2 inches of my stomach showing. Scorpion stunt (attempting it anyway!) , looks to be around 2-4 inches of skin showing depending on the angle. So overall it actually isn't like my full stomach so I don't really mind. Just don't want to get in a dress code thing at school really, but honestly I don't even think they look for violations. Looks like the hemline is as far as you can take out, according to my mom. The chest area is seems okay. but is tight with certain bras. Anyone have a favorite they wear? preferably not the old sports style

Thoughts?

We are wearing these outfits tomorrow as well for the start of spirit week, and our other uniform we wear friday for another game. I will see how that one is, coach has not handed them out yet. Its a much different style.
Our bodyliners have not come in yet so for a weeks we are not wearing anything under the shell, which is fine cause it's still really hot and humid out! Friday's game was 85 degrees at night with 1000% humidity....yuck!

Every shell I've worn since junior high has shown a little of my midriff when I raise my arms during games and such. I consider it normal if it's not too revealing. I'm tall too and believe me trying to find a perfect fitting top out of a bunch of pre-sized uni's from previous squad's measurements is hard stuff.

You said you are concerned about dress code. Does any skin show during to school day while in uniform? Seems like these days schools are really cracking down on dress codes even for the performance arts like dance, pom and sports like cheer, tennis and vball. I get the feeling that my school is starting to become like this. They always bring up cheer uniforms at board meetings but never vote officially to ban them yet.

Well when I cheered in middle school, our coach had us where under armors, or just a regular black turtle neck that was one size smaller then our shell.

I think you should speak with your coach about this as every school and team is different. You should try on your skirt and your skirt (at least our rules were as follows), the skirt must be al the way up to your bellybutton but still meet the school dress code. If you try this and the shell top is still raising up, explain to your coach and the top maybe too small.

Most uniforms should be fitted to the tea. But not every school measures the cheerleaders body before ordering or taking out old uniforms.

WOW Thanks for the help everyone!

This board rocks, just reading the advice everyone gives on any topic!

To answer some of your questions and to elaborate a little..

So we have 2 uniforms that are hand-me-downs from last year, but they were new last year. But sized perfectly for that squad obviously. Yes I am a bit tall, somewhat skinny/lanky, with a long middle section, so are a few other girls on the team. Seems like they all have the same look with their uniform as well. The rest of the team is short so can't really switch outfits with them either. I tried it on in front of a full mirror to see what shows. The uniform I wore to school and our game last week actually looked pretty good. Like I said the shell is snug but actually quite comfortable. It falls over my skirt waist (which I DO wear above my belly button slightly) about 1/2 inch over. While standing still, no skin shows. Arms up in cheer, i'd say you can see about 1 1/2 inches of my stomach showing. Scorpion stunt (attempting it anyway!) , looks to be around 2-4 inches of skin showing depending on the angle. So overall it actually isn't like my full stomach so I don't really mind. Just don't want to get in a dress code thing at school really, but honestly I don't even think they look for violations. Looks like the hemline is as far as you can take out, according to my mom. The chest area is seems okay. but is tight with certain bras. Anyone have a favorite they wear? preferably not the old sports style

Thoughts?

We are wearing these outfits tomorrow as well for the start of spirit week, and our other uniform we wear friday for another game. I will see how that one is, coach has not handed them out yet. Its a much different style.
Our bodyliners have not come in yet so for a weeks we are not wearing anything under the shell, which is fine cause it's still really hot and humid out! Friday's game was 85 degrees at night with 1000% humidity....yuck!
Maybe you could wear a camisole underneath, in the same color as the bottom of the shell.

Maybe you could wear a camisole underneath, in the same color as the bottom of the shell.

I would do that, but it's a really tough color to match, dark purple. Tried Target and some other stores and nothing came close. And white won't look any better, would look like Im wearing a white belt. Honestly I'd much rather wear the shell with just a bra under anyways instead of another layer.

You said you are concerned about dress code. Does any skin show during to school day while in uniform? Seems like these days schools are really cracking down on dress codes even for the performance arts like dance, pom and sports like cheer, tennis and vball. I get the feeling that my school is starting to become like this. They always bring up cheer uniforms at board meetings but never vote officially to ban them yet.

Wore the same uniform to school today. Skin shows in the front only when reaching into my locker and if I raise my hand to ask a question in class (doesn't happen often lol) . I also think the shell shows bare skin on my sides and in the back while sitting, I have to check and see next time. Uniform actually seems more comfortable after washing it after the game, but the shell is def short fitting.

I'm gonna wait till I get the other uniform and see how that is before asking my coach to switch outfits. It honestly doesn't bother me as much as I thought. Myabe cause its so hot outside still.

My school cheer uniforms have all been like this as well, i'm fine with it. But I would rather have a short shell than one that is way too long or oversized. But can someone explain why being tall affects the shell fit? I'm only 5'6 and every coach, & AD has had issues trying find me a perfect size if we are reusing uniforms!

My school cheer uniforms have all been like this as well, i'm fine with it. But I would rather have a short shell than one that is way too long or oversized. But can someone explain why being tall affects the shell fit? I'm only 5'6 and every coach, & AD has had issues trying find me a perfect size if we are reusing uniforms!
Taller people have longer torsos, and need a longer shell to cover their longer torso.

My school cheer uniforms have all been like this as well, i'm fine with it. But I would rather have a short shell than one that is way too long or oversized.

I know, my coach was able to track down a few more uniforms in storage and offered to switch for anyone who wanted to. They are all bigger sizes. I tried one of the shells on and it was not baggy and came down longer over the skirt. I think I'd rather have the shorter ones I already have.

Back