High School Need Some Uniform Advice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I know, my coach was able to track down a few more uniforms in storage and offered to switch for anyone who wanted to. They are all bigger sizes. I tried one of the shells on and it was not baggy and came down longer over the skirt. I think I'd rather have the shorter ones I already have.
Why keep the short one if you can get one that comes closer to fitting properly? Just because it is a bigger size? I tell my kid all the time: Size is just a number. You look much better in a garment that fits, no matter the size. If it isn't baggy and the length is more appropriate, I would think it would be a no brainier?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Why keep the short one if you can get one that comes closer to fitting properly? Just because it is a bigger size? I tell my kid all the time: Size is just a number. You look much better in a garment that fits, no matter the size. If it isn't baggy and the length is more appropriate, I would think it would be a no brainier?

You can always have it taken in a bit. Really easy to do and I am not much of a seamstress.

You can always have it taken in a bit. Really easy to do and I am not much of a seamstress.

Good point, it is very easy to do. personally I like wearing a fitted, shorter shell because im a flyer, and we have 3 guys on the HS team and they get a better grip on my waist if there is a little skin showing. Once I wore another girl's longer shell cause mine got a bad stain on it before a game. I noticed the bases lifting the shell up when they grabbed my waist to expose some skin to grip. I feel much more confident when sticking to what they're style is.

Good point, it is very easy to do. personally I like wearing a fitted, shorter shell because im a flyer, and we have 3 guys on the HS team and they get a better grip on my waist if there is a little skin showing. Once I wore another girl's longer shell cause mine got a bad stain on it before a game. I noticed the bases lifting the shell up when they grabbed my waist to expose some skin to grip. I feel much more confident when sticking to what they're style is.
Maybe wear the longer one during the day in class and change before the game if your coach will allow that?

Our bodyliners have not come in yet so for a weeks we are not wearing anything under the shell, which is fine cause it's still really hot and humid out! Friday's game was 85 degrees at night with 1000% humidity....yuck!

Have you all switched over to wearing bodyliners yet? We are going to try to wear them under shells this friday, it will be colder out finially.

Have any other states been told they have to put the state flag on the back of their uniform, or is it just Virginia?

Every shell I've worn since junior high has shown a little of my midriff when I raise my arms during games and such. I consider it normal if it's not too revealing. I'm tall too and believe me trying to find a perfect fitting top out of a bunch of pre-sized uni's from previous squad's measurements is hard stuff.

You said you are concerned about dress code. Does any skin show during to school day while in uniform? Seems like these days schools are really cracking down on dress codes even for the performance arts like dance, pom and sports like cheer, tennis and vball. I get the feeling that my school is starting to become like this. They always bring up cheer uniforms at board meetings but never vote officially to ban them yet.
One of my schools cheerleaders (she's a dancer pretty tall and skinny) got dress coded for her cheer uniform they said the skirt was too short(which is ridiculous because it fit perfectly on this girl and was not showing unnecessary skin)

The school I coach at will not allow the cheerleaders to wear their uniforms (shell or skirt) to school. I totally agree with this because I don't want a frantic text or phone call saying there's been soda spilt on the uniform, pen exploded, or heaven forbid blood. (accidents happen) Their reasoning is that they don't follow dress code. The skirts aren't long enough according to dress code (although they are longer than most other teams in the area, not too long, they look nice, classy, not trashy).

My high school I went to ran into a dress code issue. The uniforms we had (had for 2 years before the issue arose) showed about 2" of skin in the back and on the sides before it came down into a V in the front. For football we would wear the cropped bodyliners cause most the time it was still warm, for basketball the full bodyliners cause it was cold. They decided that they violated the school dress code and we could no longer wear them. We had to wear these one piece (yes one piece) uniforms for the rest of the year. Many of us went to the school and complained as the volleyball uniforms violated dress code as well since they were short spandex shorts (no different than our spankies we were UNDER our uniform). Finally, they decided that dress code didn't apply to school uniforms as long as no stomach was showing during play. Thankfully we bought new uniforms the following year and volleyball had to buy longer tops so their stomach didn't show as well.

Our AD, at the school I coach at, has actually asked other teams cheerleaders to put on warmup pants under their uniform or change completely due to their skirt (when standing at rest) not covering their butt or their stomachs showing. Doesn't make her real popular but it's not cute to have your skirt hit the middle of your butt when you are just standing there, it's tastless. I don't understand why a coach would allow it, why a cheerleader would want that, or why the school doesn't say something. One team in particular received a penalty at competition for their skirts not covering their butts.

Wow, I didn't even realize this is an issue at schools. My school doesn't have a dress code, so it never dawned on me that other schools would have a problem with this.

The uniforms we had (had for 2 years before the issue arose) showed about 2" of skin in the back and on the sides before it came down into a V in the front.

Like purposely cropped in the back so skin showed all the time or just a higher hemline on the shell in the back and skin showing while sitting in school and/or bending down? I only ask because one of my High school uniforms seems similar to what you describe. Everything is covered until I sit down then its like 3-4 inches of my back showing, which wearing it in school on game day can get kind of cold. We wear cropped liners if we wear a liner (very rarely unless its dead of winter). Yeah so mine comes to a "V" in the front so when I put arms up in a cheer, my stomach won't show but it does show my sides. Those uniforms are from 1999 or something and our coach still likes the retro look with high knee socks and big bows so we wear them alot. Its a cute look, the retro..

Like purposely cropped in the back so skin showed all the time or just a higher hemline on the shell in the back and skin showing while sitting in school and/or bending down? I only ask because one of my High school uniforms seems similar to what you describe. Everything is covered until I sit down then its like 3-4 inches of my back showing, which wearing it in school on game day can get kind of cold. We wear cropped liners if we wear a liner (very rarely unless its dead of winter). Yeah so mine comes to a "V" in the front so when I put arms up in a cheer, my stomach won't show but it does show my sides. Those uniforms are from 1999 or something and our coach still likes the retro look with high knee socks and big bows so we wear them alot. Its a cute look, the retro..

Purposely cropped, imagine a half top but with a V in the front, that's basically what it was. It's so fun you say 1999, that's about when it was. lol OMG...I'm getting old : (

Back