Need Standing Full Help... Quick

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 12, 2017
Tryouts are coming up soon and this is a skill I'd love to (and need to) show off when the time comes. As it stands right now I can land about 1 out of every 10 attempts, and when I do land it feels like I miraculously landed on my tiptoes :confused: I've included a video so you can see where I'm at with this skill. If you have any critiques or constructive criticism PLEASE share because I know there's something I can do to make my standing fulls better, I'm just not sure of exactly how I'm going to accomplish that yet.

Tryouts are coming up soon and this is a skill I'd love to (and need to) show off when the time comes. As it stands right now I can land about 1 out of every 10 attempts, and when I do land it feels like I miraculously landed on my tiptoes :confused: I've included a video so you can see where I'm at with this skill. If you have any critiques or constructive criticism PLEASE share because I know there's something I can do to make my standing fulls better, I'm just not sure of exactly how I'm going to accomplish that yet.

Could you give us a video from the side? I'd say your biggest problem is you can't stand at the end. Your chest is down. Faster rotation, or more height would help you to land it more consistently. As for your twist, it's getting around fairly well, even when you loosen up after about the halfway point (one arm pinned to your side, the other out in no man's land). Those are just things I see, and my coaching of standing fulls is in it's infancy, and things I say should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm sure there are far better resources than myself on the boards @tumbleyoda being one of them.

Could you give us a video from the side? I'd say your biggest problem is you can't stand at the end. Your chest is down. Faster rotation, or more height would help you to land it more consistently. As for your twist, it's getting around fairly well, even when you loosen up after about the halfway point (one arm pinned to your side, the other out in no man's land). Those are just things I see, and my coaching of standing fulls is in it's infancy, and things I say should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm sure there are far better resources than myself on the boards @tumbleyoda being one of them.

@Michael White is spot on with being loose in the middle of the full. Right at that point your core is loose and you are so anticipating the landing that your body is preparing a bit too early for the landing. It also appears that you are traveling a bit backwards for the skill. More like a whip set than a set for a tuck. I verbally cue my athletes on standing fulls with the words Up...Over...Finish. Arms up over your head with a slight angle towards your twist direction - I prefer the circle method than the yank the arms to the side method. Knees over the shoulder you are twisting towards ideally through the circle you created with your arms. Finish the skill by remaining tight thru your core and land it. Hope it helps! Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 913
@Michael White is spot on with being loose in the middle of the full. Right at that point your core is loose and you are so anticipating the landing that your body is preparing a bit too early for the landing. It also appears that you are traveling a bit backwards for the skill. More like a whip set than a set for a tuck. I verbally cue my athletes on standing fulls with the words Up...Over...Finish. Arms up over your head with a slight angle towards your twist direction - I prefer the circle method than the yank the arms to the side method. Knees over the shoulder you are twisting towards ideally through the circle you created with your arms. Finish the skill by remaining tight thru your core and land it. Hope it helps! Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the help! I went in to the gym tonight and landed 2 (although still barely landed them). Is it a matter of repetition or is there something pressing that I need to fix if I want to get these consistent?
Here's a video from the side

Still having trouble pulling my legs through... any suggestions?

Thanks for the help! I went in to the gym tonight and landed 2 (although still barely landed them). Is it a matter of repetition or is there something pressing that I need to fix if I want to get these consistent?
Here's a video from the side

Still having trouble pulling my legs through... any suggestions?

It looks to me like you're spotting the ground at 0:09 and starting to let go and attempting to land rather than picking your chest up and continuing to tuck for the finish.

It still looks low to me, when your feet hit the ground, look at your body position. Your head is very close to the ground. Still needs a bit more vertical set initially.

Last edited:
You are setting up but back. Those steps you are taking to get some power instead propel you backwards so you have to put your body in a better position to go up. Remember Up over finish. You are going back, over, wheres the ground. I would have you do standing tucks up onto folded panel mats to work on your set. I have other drills but they take a minute to get.

Back