All-Star Need Your Assistance Please :-d This Is For School...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 20, 2010
This was also posted in the "Random" thread but I definitely need lots of feedback so the more places the better.

I'm doing a paper for a public relations class.

Without going into detail or pushing my agenda on anyone else, I will ask this in a completely unbiased way.

As well know, most life insurance policies require a higher premium from smokers.
Do you think healthcare premiums should also be higher for smokers than non-smokers?

Why or why not?

Your responses are GREATLY appreciated!!!​

Yes.

Because people choose to abuse their bodies and in turn drive up the cost of healthcare for everyone. When an employer goes to renew healthcare benefits for a group, the demographics and history of that group is evaluated and the premiums are spread equally amongst the members. There should also be the same rules for obese people, alcoholics, drug users, etc. Hey woman drive up the price and so do people with kids.

Have fun doing your paper.

I don't agree entirely w/LittleMiss bc drug and/or alcohol use is considered a disease that a person may have no control over...However,

I DO think smokers should be charged more money for health insurance, as should obese people (and I used to be both). BUT, I think they should be given a fair amount of time to seek all available treatment first (like counseling, nutrition classes, medications, etc.) under their plan. If they have not complied within that time frame, then yes, increase their premiums. Life insurance has good enough reason for YEARS to charge smokers more and we're talking about health insurance, which people often spend much more on every month. It's like footing the bill for people who aren't willing to make the lifestyle changes that lead to serious problems caused by smoking and obesity. A significant amount of the health care problems someone who is obese experiences is the direct result of being obese. One the lifestyle changes have taken place and the problem "gone" (no longer obese), those problems tend to go away.

I also think there should be incentive from health insurance companies to want to stay healthy..like discounts on gym memberships, health insurance, etc.

Ask StarshipTrooper bc he's a physician, but also owns a health and wellness facility literally next door (in the same building) as his dr.'s office...his opinion would be beneficial I think.

Back