OT Nervous About Revival

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Mar 30, 2013
So my boyfriend recently asked me to go to revival with him :)! Although he's southern baptist, and I've been brought up episcopalian/Methodist (my parents are separate). I am a Christian, but I don't regularly go to church (I go to mass for Christmas every year, and for a few services when I can fit them in, but that's usually it) I live in a small rural town, where there are NO episcopalian churches and very few Methodist churches. I didn't grow up around the southern baptist church, so I'm not sure how different things are. I'm excited to go with him, but I'm extremely nervous! I'm not sure what differences there are and I really don't want to make a mistake or embarrass myself. Any advice or information that I should be aware of?

Just know that southern baptist revivals are wayyy more intense than Sunday morning baptist church is. Everyone gets pretty fired up and they last a lot longer. Which I guess that's what revivals are meant for, so it's not a bad thing. But don't let it scare you away; Baptists as a whole are pretty chill, joyful people :D There's nothing to be worried about.
Experience: my dad is Methodist and mom is Southern Baptist so I'm pretty split as well :)
ETA: I thought of something that I don't remember doing at Methodist church that is a pretty significant baptist practice. As a Methodist you're christened when you're a baby, and that signifies your entrance into Christianity (I was christened as a baby, but I think the practice is a little silly and more of a social formality in the church... I mean, a baby can't decide if it wants to be Christian, right?)
Well as a baptist, when you're old enough to understand you have to make a profession of faith (honestly something else I think is dumb; I'm pretty sure Jesus never said you can't be a Christian unless you stand up in front of your church and they approve of you... Another formality).
They have an invitation at the end of the regular service where they play music and you're allowed to go down and profess your faith so you can be "validated". The revival invitation is going to be much, much longer, and many more people will be going to the front, and people will probably cry. They do that. Don't let it freak you out, and don't think you're doing something wrong if you're just standing there for 20 minutes. Anyway, have fun! Enjoy the music and listen to the preacher; if they're preaching a revival chances are they're a good speaker, at least.

Last edited:
Back