All-Star New Categories For Next Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

when i watched the division last year a good amount of teams only had 3 groups in the air, unless they stretched it thin and had the 4th stunt with only the two bases, granted the means only adding one two more people. But i guess im just not a fan.
i wasnt a fan when after only one year they opened it to everyone, and now i feel like they are changing the rules to accommodate the bigger gyms coming in. But thats just my opinion.

From feedback - It’s only one skill. They only need to do one elite skill (the same one) with the required number of groups then there can be creativity with the rest of the elite sequence.

My only problem (coming from a small gym) is that there are gyms that do not have enough solid level 5 kids to put up 4 stunts. I would rather see a gym put up three stunts with their 8 good athletes than have to pull four more kids up from level 4 who do not have the skills-or lose those 8 good athletes to another gym because they cannot field a competitive world’s team.

Thoughts:

Or you can field a 5R instead of insisting that it be a Worlds team?

If you don't have enough kids to max out on the Worlds scoresheet at the elite level (or at least come close, no one is going to be perfect), you are not going to do well and those kids who ARE solid Level 5 kiddos are going to go elsewhere anyway?

Also off topic: Should gyms really be insisting on creating Worlds teams that may not max out at the elite level for the sake of not losing advanced kids? Ex: Pushing what really should be a well-maxed out 5R or 4 to that Worlds level.

Thoughts:

Or you can field a 5R instead of insisting that it be a Worlds team?

If you don't have enough kids to max out on the Worlds scoresheet at the elite level (or at least come close, no one is going to be perfect), you are not going to do well and those kids who ARE solid Level 5 kiddos are going to go elsewhere anyway?

Also off topic: Should gyms really be insisting on creating Worlds teams that may not max out at the elite level for the sake of not losing advanced kids? Ex: Pushing what really should be a well-maxed out 5R or 4 to that Worlds level.
Do you think that the teams that placed well or won in the xs division last year should have dropped down to r5 or lower level.

I think the new stunt minimums, and allowing large gyms in the division, completely change the xs division to another World’s title for mega gyms. But I also suspect it is part of a pattern to move American gyms into IASF divisions. Tho would fit with growing the sport to an Olympic event. I see a lot of effort towards that. I’m kind of wary of it. But in the long run, I don’t think Varsity ( oops I meant USASF) should be the go to for Olympic competition.

I think the new stunt minimums, and allowing large gyms in the division, completely change the xs division to another World’s title for mega gyms. But I also suspect it is part of a pattern to move American gyms into IASF divisions. Tho would fit with growing the sport to an Olympic event. I see a lot of effort towards that. I’m kind of wary of it. But in the long run, I don’t think Varsity ( oops I meant USASF) should be the go to for Olympic competition.

It seems that large gyms arent dominating these xsmall divisions. From what i see the larger gyms put xsmall teams together with their weaker level 5 athletes. Off the top of my head i cant think of any mega gyms that are winning all the time in this division

The only larger gym i could think of that is dominating in xsmall is Twist & Shout Diamonds. And actually that is their main level 5 team from that gym. i dont beleive they have another level 5 team from the Tulsa gym. (Unless Adam & Eve is from that gym too)

It seems that large gyms arent dominating these xsmall divisions. From what i see the larger gyms put xsmall teams together with their weaker level 5 athletes. Off the top of my head i cant think of any mega gyms that are winning all the time in this division

The only larger gym i could think of that is dominating in xsmall is Twist & Shout Diamonds. And actually that is their main level 5 team from that gym. i dont beleive they have another level 5 team from the Tulsa gym. (Unless Adam & Eve is from that gym too)
The rule hasn’t gone into effect yet. And we don’t know who has globed at World’s yet. But yes, the bids for the division have many small gyms. I see it as becoming a division that will be the starter World’s division for expansion locations. But I could be wrong. I wouldn’t be upset if I was.

Adam & Eve is from Tulsa as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Worlds isn't for everyone - and that's ok. It shouldn't be. Gyms complaining that the big gyms have an advantage because of this are using it as an excuse for not putting out quality teams.
I'm a huge fan of the new stunt scoring. This is a team sport, not a partner stunt competition. Almost every team in the XS division has enough athletes on the floor to meet the requirement. Those that don't - or can't will have a .2 disadvantage - hardly a deal breaker, and if you are a great coach you can make that up elsewhere. This industry has been rewarding "more for less" for far too long. For parents who are complaining about getting priced out - part of the reason is because gyms are creating smaller teams because the score sheet is rewarding it. There are far less athletes at competitions but the same amount or more teams. That means the costs are more per athlete from the top (EPs - venue, staging, judging, etc) to the bottom (gym costs - choreography, music, staff, insurance, rent, etc) and if the small team advantage trend continues the costs per athlete will continue to rise. It wouldn't surprise me to see something similar for all levels in the future.

Last edited:
They’re basically just asking teams to maximize stunt groups for their division.

Coaches have been forced to do this in HS school cheer for quite some time except it hasn’t really been on paper. If you take a team of 16 into NHSCC without an elite sequence of 4 groups and either a super elite skill of 4 or an elite 2-man with 5 in the air, you better be ready to make those lost diff points up in other areas.

I went to an all star comp this past weekend and multiple teams had 4-5 nuggets in the back during stunt sequences. That’s not good for those kids, and it certainly doesn’t make for an entertaining routine.

There's a gym nearby by that put out the maximum number of athletes they can with the minimum number of stunt groups. They never max out in size, they keep teams small so they only have to put up 2 stunt groups or whatever. I don't know why, but it bugs me.

I'm torn... yes I want to see everyone participate but sometimes it's hard to make a stunt group out of the leftover kids if they're all a similar size or are just not that good at stunting.

CP and some others tumble during some of the stunts because she's one of the smaller non flyers and not a great base. She does base one stunt and part of pyramid though.

Back