All-Star New Changes - Divisions For Worlds

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm not 100% sure if I like the change being made to Extra Small to be honest. I really liked the idea of that division being restricted to gyms that only have one worlds team as it meant that some of the smaller gyms got a chance to globe and now that is being taken away from them, it essentially reverts things back to the situation that small was. I could see this being a good thing for a team like CJA Bombshells as there isn't anything keeping them from the Extra Small division now if they wanted to enter it, but with how well they were doing in small, who knows what will happen. I just hope this isn't the death of something that very quickly became one of my favourite divisions at worlds.

I'm not 100% sure if I like the change being made to Extra Small to be honest. I really liked the idea of that division being restricted to gyms that only have one worlds team as it meant that some of the smaller gyms got a chance to globe and now that is being taken away from them, it essentially reverts things back to the situation that small was. I could see this being a good thing for a team like CJA Bombshells as there isn't anything keeping them from the Extra Small division now if they wanted to enter it, but with how well they were doing in small, who knows what will happen. I just hope this isn't the death of something that very quickly became one of my favourite divisions at worlds.

I think the X small gym division will continue to grow, but it will increase from large gyms instead of small gyms.

It won't personally hurt my CP, but defeats the reason why they started x-small teams. I feel bad for d2 gyms. I figured this was in the works when they added a senior 5 to D2 summit.

It's just a massive shame that this has happened. Just when you think the sport takes a step forward and a good thing finally comes along that has the potential to drive up competition standard and improve the sport overall, the USASF throws a spanner in the works. I should have known by now that we can't have nice things when the USASF are involved.

I think the X small gym division will continue to grow, but it will increase from large gyms instead of small gyms.

That was what I meant with the division being dead. The original reason for the division was to give the smaller gyms that usually struggle a chance to showcase their talents and I fear that by extending it out to the likes of the mega gyms, the smaller gyms may continue to be pushed to the side like in other divisions because the mega gyms have the opportunity to stack teams in their favour. Call me cynical as I know this isn't the case all the time, but I feel like its a massive step in the wrong direction if they want to continue to grow the sport passed its current level.

The problem is the whole argument has gotten convoluted into talking points that may not truly be indicative of what is desired.My feeling is now as has been for years if many of the other issues like recruitment, truly independent judging, transparency with scores, reduction of blatant favoritism due to program size in regards to preferential warmup/compete times, meeting rooms, etc., then this would be less of an issue because all would feel like all have an equal and fair shot no matter the size, marketing, or location of program.

Face it, most athletes are not going to up and relocate to Lower West Podunk to compete on their first year L5 team that has little chance of making it out of prelims, does not pay for glitz glam marketing packages made to look like it is just random fandom. But they (larger gyms and mega gyms - just using the terms not throwing shade) will recruit L3-5 athletes to leave Lower West Podunk to cheer at the gyms who recruit world wide for athletes. Until that is some home equated, we will forever be comparing apples to oranges. The two products are just different. Not bad, or worse, different. STop trying to make them the same because they are not.

The problem is the whole argument has gotten convoluted into talking points that may not truly be indicative of what is desired.My feeling is now as has been for years if many of the other issues like recruitment, truly independent judging, transparency with scores, reduction of blatant favoritism due to program size in regards to preferential warmup/compete times, meeting rooms, etc., then this would be less of an issue because all would feel like all have an equal and fair shot no matter the size, marketing, or location of program.

Face it, most athletes are not going to up and relocate to Lower West Podunk to compete on their first year L5 team that has little chance of making it out of prelims, does not pay for glitz glam marketing packages made to look like it is just random fandom. But they (larger gyms and mega gyms - just using the terms not throwing shade) will recruit L3-5 athletes to leave Lower West Podunk to cheer at the gyms who recruit world wide for athletes. Until that is some home equated, we will forever be comparing apples to oranges. The two products are just different. Not bad, or worse, different. STop trying to make them the same because they are not.

I'm incredibly sorry if I've caused a disagreement with what I said or was misinformed with my opinion in any way. I totally agree with what you are saying and in an ideal world they wouldn't have to create new divisions for shots to be fair in the first place. I guess coming from a very small gym that struggled in the success levels we had over the years, I was very excited to see something that could work in favour generating decent revenues for the smaller programmes again and would finally bring an end to the mass exodus of closures and mergers that have been happening over the last few years.

I'm incredibly sorry if I've caused a disagreement with what I said or was misinformed with my opinion in any way. I totally agree with what you are saying and in an ideal world they wouldn't have to create new divisions for shots to be fair in the first place. I guess coming from a very small gym that struggled in the success levels we had over the years, I was very excited to see something that could work in favour generating decent revenues for the smaller programmes again and would finally bring an end to the mass exodus of closures and mergers that have been happening over the last few years.
I agree with you. CP competed all 6 years at a small gym that "raised" the talent that ended up on the worlds teams at larger gyms. There needs to be some way for small gyms to be successful at upper levels on a national stage. D2 summit went a long way towards that, but there needs to be a place for their worlds division teams to compete because they will never be able to compete with the mega gyms.

I agree with you. CP competed all 6 years at a small gym that "raised" the talent that ended up on the worlds teams at larger gyms. There needs to be some way for small gyms to be successful at upper levels on a national stage. D2 summit went a long way towards that, but there needs to be a place for their worlds division teams to compete because they will never be able to compete with the mega gyms.

I think in an ideal world things would be more fair by having a more transparent scoring system, totally independent judging and a lot of the other improvements that @tumbleyoda suggested. Until then the sport will never be a truly level playing field and I don't ever think it will be unless things change from their current course.

@ACEDAD brought up a very valid point on twitter - why in the world is someone other than USASF the one to communicate their changes?

I was never a fan of a division that has restrictions being able to hold the same title as the standard divisions. We have an event for D2. Why not make the industry consistent and hold D2 Worlds in conjuction with Summit?

Given all of the changes along with the current ratio rules, it made no sense to create a new division. USASF should have kept the small division capped at 20 and called it a day.

I will be interested to see what the open division rules will consist of.

I doubt they will dissolve their large Worlds teams. I do think they will add X small Worlds teams.

Back