All-Star New Changes - Divisions For Worlds

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm just tossing some thoughts out there on NT, but...
1) NT could be a great avenue to retain the higher level blocking, chronically injured, or NT athletes that are now put on lower levels because of the current mastery skill percentages needed to be competitive on all levels.
2) With the current level of competition on all levels requiring mastery skills across the board, it is slowing progression and reducing the number of openings to newer athletes. NT could provide an avenue to those that become bored remaining on a level if they hit their skill ceiling.
3) Bangkok. I'm not a fan of their tumbling, but their stunting definitely belongs at World's. I'd love to them in a NT division where their tumbling is replaced with more stunting!

If the *World* championships are truly about worldwide participation, then IMO #3 in your list is the only relevant one. The United States does not need help retaining kids or growing programs. The only thing the United States needs help with is to stop pricing-out their families and driving down participation numbers.

I don't hate non-tumblers. If this were an ICU division addition I would be in full support.

I would also be in more support if USASF/Varsity was honest and instead said, "Hey, with Worlds, Summit, and D2 Summit, we're contracted for three full weeks on Disney property and we need to bring in more revenue on our "off" days - enter "International" Summit divisions on the weekdays before Summit and, I can almost guarantee, an extension of Worlds into more weekdays because there's too many divisions." At least it would be honest.

I have mixed feelings about it being at worlds and perhaps that is the biggest issue people are having (?) but I have no major issues with the division its self. I do wonder if it were to be placed somewhere else would it still draw the same amount of interest? My biggest question about it is where and how will teams get bids in this division? Will it be the same as a regular worlds bid of simply competing for it and if so will all national competitions then be offering it or will this division be reserved to get bids at only the big comps such as Cheersport and NCA? I just really hope that this division stays true to its intention of helping international teams and it doesn't end up being an international summit where its 95% US teams and 5% International teams.

So much change and so many new divisions. I'm not sure what to think about it all yet.

Ultimately, the main revenue source for USASF and IASF is Worlds. More divisions & more winners tend to mean more total teams, more hopper passes, and more Disney kickbacks. That is simply too big an incentive for them to avoid, I believe. They spent millions on the new venue specifically to stuff more and more cheerleaders into those weekends, so I imagine there is pressure from that side as well. That doesn't necessarily make them evil or even "greedy" any more than a gym opening a new location, but it is an economic reality.

I don't think it is fair to condemn gyms for entering divisions they didn't believe should exist in the first place. What you believe is optimal for the long-term health of the industry, and what you think is your best strategy once the divisions exist are not necessarily the same. (Nerd aside: The optimal solution doesn't necessarily equal the Nash equilibrium).

I know the goal of this is to allow other countries a better chance of being competitive as compared to the bigger gyms, eventually leading to Olympics participation, but if anyone thinks that the big gyms aren’t going to field teams in these divisions too, they’re out of touch. Cheer is a business, for USASF/IASF, for gyms, etc. This is just another globe to win and put on display. I know people with fulls and doubles who didn’t tumble on big teams cos their tumbling wasn’t good enough. I get where the intention is coming from, I just don’t see it being the benefit it was intended to be.

Look what happened last week when the x-small division was opened up. Instantly there were posts about biggergums fielding teams. And these big gyms definitely have the athletes, whether they tumble or not to make up another team in the NT division

This is what I have kept trying to sum up, but you did it better.

There are so many comments about it not belonging at worlds but could that decision be based on the international travel that’s required? We need to stop thinking in terms of North America and start thinking globally. Expecting international athletes to travel to Florida multiple times in a month is quite frankly unrealistic.

Many of the ICU worlds teams also compete in USASF worlds and some gyms also take their teams to Summit. They also travel over to Florida a full week ahead of worlds just to allow their bodies to adjust to the time zone. It’s an expensive trip to begin with since bids are either non-paid or only pay a tiny fraction of the true costs.

Unless Worlds actually becomes a Worlds competition that rotates around the globe where it’s held, people need to be a bit more understanding of what it actually takes for international teams to make the trek to come to Worlds and compete in North America for that matter. Any teams coming from south of the equator are already coming during the beginning of their cheerseason as their seasons run opposite to ours.

And ICU worlds is already a 3 day comp and begins on a Wednesday with Jr. Worlds and ends on the Friday. So they’re already missing 2+ weeks of work and school once you add travel time and Summit if they end up staying for their other teams to cheer them on. Imagine their costs for a 2+ week trip to Disney when airfare alone can be upwards of $3k!!!!

Last edited:
There are so many comments about it not belonging at worlds but could that decision be based on the international travel that’s required? We need to stop thinking in terms of North America and start thinking globally. Expecting international athletes to travel to Florida multiple times in a month is quite frankly unrealistic.

Many of the ICU worlds teams also compete in USASF worlds and some gyms also take their teams to Summit. They also travel over to Florida a full week ahead of worlds just to allow their bodies to adjust to the time zone. It’s an expensive trip to begin with since bids are either non-paid or only pay a tiny fraction of the true costs.

Unless Worlds actually becomes a Worlds competition that rotates around the globe where it’s held, people need to be a bit more understanding of what it actually takes for international teams to make the trek to come to Worlds and compete in North America for that matter. Any teams coming from south of the equator are already coming during the beginning of their cheerseason as their seasons run opposite to ours.

And ICU worlds is already a 3 day comp and begins on a Wednesday with Jr. Worlds and ends on the Friday. So they’re already missing 2+ weeks of work and school once you add travel time and Summit if they end up staying for their other teams to cheer them on. Imagine their costs for a 2+ week trip to Disney when airfare alone can be upwards of $3k!!!!
It was three weeks off total for us with Team NZ & USASF Worlds. Package was around $3600 excluding money for meals, drinks etc. That’s with us flying in just two days before Junior competed at ICU and flying out two days after our last team competed finals at USASF ie there’s no holiday in there!

I don't like this at all. I hate the idea of a team thats 17 and up attending the same competition as youth level teams. I just don't think its an appropriate age group for the summit.
But it's ok at every other competition?

And where are they supposed to go, because Worlds is an obvious no and continuing to exclude them from an end of season comp isn't right either.

I don't like this at all. I hate the idea of a team thats 17 and up attending the same competition as youth level teams. I just don't think its an appropriate age group for the summit.

Summit still have senior aged teams there also, so its no different then competing anywhere else.

Back